• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

EXO K4 Thread (Officially unofficial)

My words were chosen carefully “some money” I’m now on the lookout for a Pintler bag for my Mr frame. I’m not quitting just refocusing.

I like where this is going.

You might be a saddlehunter if:

You don’t buy the K4, but you…
1. Buy the Pintler
2. Upgrade to the new Ultralight MT Frame
3. Swap in your favorite 5 piece Beartooth belt
4. Are completely satisfied with that but…
5. Still wonder longingly about the K4
6. Buy K4, finally
7. Decide you prefer the Pintler after all

Lol, refocusing. You’re still in the game. We’re only at 4 pages thus far.

I like where this is going.

You might be a saddlehunter if:

You don’t buy the K4, but you…
1. Buy the Pintler
2. Upgrade to the new Ultralight MT Frame
3. Swap in your favorite 5 piece Beartooth belt
4. Are completely satisfied with that but…
5. Still wonder longingly about the K4
6. Buy K4, finally
7. Decide you prefer the Pintler after all

Lol, refocusing. You’re still in the game. We’re only at 4 pages thus far.
I mean, that K4 is pretty sleek……

Anyone go to the Exo K4 from Stone Glacier? I have no complaints with the frame and my sky 5900 other than there is a lot of webbing to connect the bag to the frame. This does really help to compress the pack in for day hikes though.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Anyone go to the Exo K4 from Stone Glacier? I have no complaints with the frame and my sky 5900 other than there is a lot of webbing to connect the bag to the frame. This does really help to compress the pack in for day hikes though.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
Not me, but when I bought my K4, the decision was between those two brands...

I went through MR PU28, found a sawtooth bag, and a pintler (thanks @bowhunthard88 )

To me switching bags on that frame was too much (not that you’d do it often..). The ST45 was too much, at least for me. Pintler was almost there but too busy.

I went to K4 with their sale and it’s been great. 2200 is small with layers admittedly but I don’t have many complaints. Less time with it than most but it has passed all tests so far.

Will probably upgrade bag size once I can offload my PU28

The very picture that started me down the K4 path. You're starting to undo everything @Plebe has done. Stop it!
It won’t be that slim once you put all your junk in it though right? Do you just like the thought of slimmer/taller pack? The Kuiu pack is taller and slim which is why I like it but the pro is taller than the venture and it doesn’t give you much room to tilt your head back when ducking through brush. Part of the reason I am wanting to go to something smaller/shorter. Granted, the k4 doesn’t appear to be as tall as the kuiu. Whatcha thinking?

It won’t be that slim once you put all your junk in it though right? Do you just like the thought of slimmer/taller pack? The Kuiu pack is taller and slim which is why I like it but the pro is taller than the venture and it doesn’t give you much room to tilt your head back when ducking through brush. Part of the reason I am wanting to go to something smaller/shorter. Granted, the k4 doesn’t appear to be as tall as the kuiu. Whatcha thinking?
Correct on the "slim" compressible form, but that does allow you to use a larger bag during early season without needing to fill it so that it's not flopping around (which is where I'm at because I'm not sold on the 2200 bag), because that was the issue with my Sawtooth 45... Also, the K4 allows you to choose your frame height (pictured is a 25"), which balanced load capability and maneuverability for me... I love the frame and setup, I just want a "perfect" bag LMAO! I love the concept of changing bags, but it annoys me when I need to do it, so I really want a "one size fits all" for my whitetail hunting season duration. I'm accepting of changing the bag for backpack hunts, etc., although I'm going to check out the 5000 bag organizationally for my "normal" purposes (and then I probably would never have to change the bag). I have the 5000, 3600, and 2200 bags...

I like a pack closer to my profile. I tried a buddy’s Eberlestock and it was way out to the sides. Weight shifted easier and felt like it was falling off. So, it’s a compromise. A little thinner and taller but not too thin or tall.

Just the simplicity is what I like. Fewer straps and slimmer profile. I like most things about the MR Beartooth bag but, it is very 'strappy' and I don't like the horsehoe zipper as much as I thought I would. Those are really the only two things that have me considering changing bags.

Your right though, the slimmer profile comes with a either a higher or deeper profile to get the same volume. After looking at some of the pics in this thread, the higher profile is one of the things that has swayed me away from the K4.

Then I remember that my whitetail setup is pretty dialed in and this is for western hunting that at best I will only do every other year, so I am not sure if it's worth worrying about changing.

I like a pack closer to my profile. I tried a buddy’s Eberlestock and it was way out to the sides. Weight shifted easier and felt like it was falling off. So, it’s a compromise. A little thinner and taller but not too thin or tall.
I hunt a lot of thick stuff, so I do prefer a width of equal-or-lesser-value to my body. Remembering packing stands through that stuff gives me agita now lol. Part of the issue is that I'm not a wide nor dense person...

Back