• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle climber, what's available??

Just get a summit Goliath and call it day. Not getting more comfortable than that and the weight is a wash with a JX3 and climbing platform.

To each their own I guess. I thought the JX3 was uncomfortable. Seat was really firm and after a while killed my tailbone. Not to mention you are a pendulum. On a leaner you have to fight your way to the high side. Never saw the attraction. I would rather use a treestand.

Just get a summit Goliath and call it day. Not getting more comfortable than that and the weight is a wash with a JX3 and climbing platform.

A JX3 with a LWHC is 16-17lbs, so it is a fair bit lighter. But this is maybe the more significant drawback…

B8AFFCFC-E0A4-428E-B88C-5DF5B3E9F274.png

Check out panther platforms.They're coming out with one that looks pretty good.There's some videos on youtube.I've been using a LW assault platform with a saddle quite a bit the last few years.

What did it end up weighing and what’s the width? I know folks were building these things (@Mr Price, @BrowninG77, @Bwhana) and they all seemed to be hitting around 7-9lbs, but they got one down to 5lbs by making it narrower however it was restricted to 14” trees.

Here’s the details on their work:

I had a tree lounge and it was easy to climb with. I’ve bigger trees where I hunt so I need that og width but don’t want anything too heavy with a JX3. Curious about where you landed.
We was making them right at 3.5 lbs each. After adding sinch strap or ratchet strap it was right at 4 lbs. Depending on how you wanted to strap it. I still think (imo) it's the best option for climbing. Not because me and BrowningG77 came up with it, it's just easy and safe. Now with trees with multiple lower limbs it isn't the best option, but for around here, it is.

Got me curious now as to what mine weighs. I don’t have anything super precise, just chatillon scales I use for carp fishing, but I’ll weigh it tomorrow and post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went and weighed mine this morning and it’s just a fuzz under seven pounds. Those scales are super accurate just not crazy precise. I wasn’t a member of the forum at the time but the below image from the linked thread above is what I modeled my dimension proportions off. I just made mine the exact width of the JX3 so it would ride perfectly flush in the pack.
ed96da2871a20c7c28554d3bf0d8df54.jpg

fa4e9c034ebf5be454a61ec7176bd254.jpg

cb647d6c8370f09e57234ed8f3856370.jpg

I just picked up a used 1st gen Lone Wolf sit and climb. I'm going to turn the top to a small climbing platform. Trying to reach 6lbs max, but need to weight it first. I'm also thinking of turning the lower into a 'saddle' climbing platform similar to this method by Sean Outdoor Adventures. 8 lbs is not that bad for something the size of a TL Mission with climbing capability.

I went and weighed mine this morning and it’s just a fuzz under seven pounds. Those scales are super accurate just not crazy precise. I wasn’t a member of the forum at the time but the below image from the linked thread above is what I modeled my dimension proportions off. I just made mine the exact width of the JX3 so it would ride perfectly flush in the pack.

You made 2 sizes?

You made 2 sizes?

No. The image of two sizes was from the referenced thread someone mentioned above with regards to [mention]Mr Price [/mention]also making a tree lounger style climber. I saw that image online and modeled my proportions off of the picture with my width measurement being the same width as the JX3 pack.

No. The image of two sizes was from the referenced thread someone mentioned above with regards to [mention]Mr Price [/mention]also making a tree lounger style climber. I saw that image online and modeled my proportions off of the picture with my width measurement being the same width as the JX3 pack.

I see,just not sure which size you made that ended up being 7lbs.

I designed this like the old Treelounger bottom but made it the same width as the JX3 so it rides in the back. Use it with 40’ of rope and works great.
76e70560b8767b2bf6892e33e6777955.jpg

Do your feet go under the padded bar and heels on the outer edge? Or heels on the padded bar and toes under the triangles?
Also, do you guys have a video using this method?

Last edited:
Do your feet go under the padded bar and heels on the outer edge? Or heels on the padded bar and toes under the triangles?
Also, do you guys have a video using this method?

Toes under the padded bar, heels on the back bar.

I sure would like to try it and see how it works. Perhaps you could make a video climbing with it.

I sure would like to try it and see how it works. Perhaps you could make a video climbing with it.
Look up tree lounger tree stands. Same climbing method as far as the bottom goes. Your saddle will take place of the top section.

What alloy did u use? The ones we build was right at 3.5 lbs. Not sure how the weight got that big of a difference

What alloy did u use? The ones we build was right at 3.5 lbs. Not sure how the weight got that big of a difference

Not sure. I’m not a machinist. Just drew the design and took it to a fellow runs a welding shop. It’s probably 5-6 with just the metal. It’s 20” wide outside to outside. The 22” one you made was 3.5lbs?

Back