• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle climber, what's available??

white03

New to this saddle world, but gotta say I think I would much rather use a climber of some type (with a tether) than sticks (I'll use my Jx3 once I get up the tree). Read a lot on this site about possibility of using a LWHC (out of production) or Summit open shot (the top of it, but kinda heavy). Also found some threads about a Broadside Stands climber (out of stock now) and Panther Platforms (don't think they are in production)

Does anyone know of another manufacturer of a lite weight climber, please list of you do?

As an aside: hard to understand why one or more of the numerous saddle platform manufactures don't take their existing product and adapt it for climbing

Not sure I can envision what you might gain pairing a jx3 with a climber bottom. Going to still be toting the same weight or close to it as just using something like a summit viper. There are several other ways to get up the tree beside conventional climber or sticks. If you are new, you have all off season to try different methods and find what might work best for you.

The Jx3 is for comfort, not saving weight, obviouly. The Summit Viper I have is 25 pounds, the Jx3 with a 4/5 pound climber is 15/16 pounds. lotta difference in weight and not at all the same. And the pack frame on the Jx3 carries a whole lot better than a Summit

I'm 66 and would not last long in a true saddle setup, so the Jx3 is mandatory. Same reason (age, strength and flexibility) for not considering DRT or SRT, or another climbing method

I can use sticks, just looking for an easier way without sticks and a climber seems to be an acceptable option

Last edited:
I saw the one @woodsdog2 has in classifides. Looks like a lot of harware and difficult to setup, no teeth to hold climber on the tree, old design and has to be a more modern lighter design, limited tree size that it will fit. In short decided against it

The Barren ridge stand is called Broadside, I found it. The youtube video demonstration uses 1 foot on the stand and I would like 2 feet on the stand. Besides it is out of stock. Thank you though

Keep it coming!!

And Thank you!!

I saw the one @woodsdog2 has in classifides. Looks like a lot of harware and difficult to setup, no teeth to hold climber on the tree, old design and has to be a more modern lighter design, limited tree size that it will fit. In short decided against it

The Barren ridge stand is called Broadside, I found it. The youtube video demonstration uses 1 foot on the stand and I would like 2 feet on the stand. Besides it is out of stock. Thank you though

Keep it coming!!

And Thank you!!
@white03, It’s not difficult to set up at all but definitely requires some getting used to it. Short steps not long drawn out ones up the tree at first. Hang from tether to adjust diameter if needed but thst is rarely needed. Very robust but the whole shebang is 4.6lbs.

The Jx3 is for comfort, not saving weight, obviouly. The Summit Viper I have is 25 pounds, the Jx3 with a 4/5 pound climber is 15/16 pounds. lotta difference in weight and not at all the same. And the pack frame on the Jx3 carries a whole lot better than a Summit

I'm 66 and would not last long in a true saddle setup, so the Jx3 is mandatory. Same reason (age, strength and flexibility) for not considering DRT or SRT, or another climbing method

I can use sticks, just looking for an easier way without sticks and a climber seems to be an acceptable option

The LW Hand Climber top is probably your best bet, but they have been known to break so you’ll need to have everything situated so you can self-rescue in the event it happens to you.

Gen 1 JX3 was around 12lbs, Gen 2-3 weigh over 13. LWHC top is about 4lbs.

It’s a pretty good match imo, except the mistrust I have for the longevity of LWHC tops.

Might keep an eye out for a used xop ambush. The bottom could be reduced in size to drop some weight but still have ample room for both feet.

I doubt you can cut it back to less than 8lbs.

A rich man might cut back a LWCG Crossover bottom, it’s 7lbs stock. Might get it to 6.

If I remember correctly, my Gen 1 weighs in at 11.2 pounds and the military pack frame makes it easy to carry. Fells lighter than its actual weight

If I remember correctly, my Gen 1 weighs in at 11.2 pounds and the military pack frame makes it easy to carry. Fells lighter than its actual weight

Either it was modded or you got lucky. Gen 1’s were just over 12lbs (aroumd 12.3). That’s system weight, with ropes. Maybe you are’t using the linesman’s?

Last edited:
I said "if I remember correctly" and at my age that's questionable. Maybe it was 12.2, in any case it doesn't feel like 12 pounds when paired with the pack frame. So even with a relatively lite weight climber it will be significantly less than carrying my Summit

Just need to find a climber.

May have to mod my brothers Summit OS, but thought there might be something lighter

I’m not sure I understand what you mean by not lasting long in a true saddle setup. Unless I’m missing something, once you’re at hunting height, you’re either a leaner or a sitter or a combination of both. Am I missing a different element here?

Consider an alternative pairing with your JX3Hybrid, a JX3 wide top platform stick. Carries like a dream. Climbs well (if you are cool with 1-sticking). Excels at hunting height.

Food for thought.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

I designed this like the old Treelounger bottom but made it the same width as the JX3 so it rides in the back. Use it with 40’ of rope and works great.
76e70560b8767b2bf6892e33e6777955.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just get a summit Goliath and call it day. Not getting more comfortable than that and the weight is a wash with a JX3 and climbing platform.

Off topic here, but I really don’t find Summit stands to be that comfortable. It’s the seat design. There’s nothing rigid separating straps and foam. The only foam in the seat is a 1” piece of dense poly foam and a 1.5” piece of egg crate foam. After a couple hours those straps are wearing on my hips and sciatic nerve.

I designed this like the old Treelounger bottom but made it the same width as the JX3 so it rides in the back. Use it with 40’ of rope and works great.
76e70560b8767b2bf6892e33e6777955.jpg

What did it end up weighing and what’s the width? I know folks were building these things (@Mr Price, @BrowninG77, @Bwhana) and they all seemed to be hitting around 7-9lbs, but they got one down to 5lbs by making it narrower however it was restricted to 14” trees.

Here’s the details on their work:

I had a tree lounge and it was easy to climb with. I’ve bigger trees where I hunt so I need that og width but don’t want anything too heavy with a JX3. Curious about where you landed.

What did it end up weighing and what’s the width? I know folks were building these things (@Mr Price, @BrowninG77, @Bwhana) and they all seemed to be hitting around 7-9lbs, but they got one down to 5lbs by making it narrower however it was restricted to 14” trees.

Here’s the details on their work:
It’s the same width as the seat on the JX3 so 20”. I don’t know the weight. I’ve never weighed it. I wouldn’t think it’s any more than 7lbs but I could certainly be wrong. Ease of carry in that pack system I don’t even notice it there.

Back