• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2024 Turkey Thread

I don’t use a sight anymore. If I were to put a sight on a shotgun it would be a Burris Speed Bead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't use a sight either. I do use TSS but the no sight thing keeps me honest, lol. If I can't see him with my unaided eye, then he is too far for me to shoot him. What I really like about TSS #9 is it really flattens them. I've noticed they don't flop around as much with TSS, just lights out

I don't use a sight either. I do use TSS but the no sight thing keeps me honest, lol. If I can't see him with my unaided eye, then he is too far for me to shoot him. What I really like about TSS #9 is it really flattens them. I've noticed they don't flop around as much with TSS, just lights out

I’ve killed one at 65yds with a 20ga shooting TSS. He was in a field strutting in knee high grass. I bellly crawled him to what I thought was 50. When I popped and pulled the trigger, I remember thinking man that’s a long 50. Stepped him to 65. TSS #9’s are the way to go! I won’t ever shoot anything else, not for the distance, but for the lethality. There is nothing worse then seeing a turkey roll, get up and fly off.

I’ve killed one at 65yds with a 20ga shooting TSS. He was in a field strutting in knee high grass. I bellly crawled him to what I thought was 50. When I popped and pulled the trigger, I remember thinking man that’s a long 50. Stepped him to 65. TSS #9’s are the way to go! I won’t ever shoot anything else, not for the distance, but for the lethality. There is nothing worse then seeing a turkey roll, get up and fly off.

I have a friend who preaches get close. I might not believe this if it came from anyone else. He was hunting one morning before work and had a gobbler strutting back and forth on the T of a logging road. He could see it, but it would not come any closer because of a big mud hole on the lane. He had worked the bird for quite a while, but the hour was getting late. He said he thought the bird was about 50 to 60 yards but wasn't sure. He was carrying a 12 gauge with 3 1/2 inch #9 TSS. He said he talked himself into the shot and immediately regretted it. The bird disappeared after he recovered from recoil, and he walked down the lane cussing himself for giving in to temptation. He paced it off and found a very dead gobbler laying in the lane at 92 paces!

The farthest I have shot one is about 40 but that TSS lays them out. It's funny but the first time I hunted with TSS I had loaded the shells, 3 1/2 #9 TSS and I had the gobbler run down a lane at me to the point I thought it was going to be hand to beak combat. I shot him at about 10 yards and closing!

Don't even bother thinking about turkey anymore. The population is so catastrophically down it not worth my time. It isn't a matter of not caring enough, or not scouting enough, or trying enough. The birds simply aren't around anymore. We hunt 1k acres private. From 2009 to 16 I killed 3 gobblers every year. All my cousins got birds as well with tons of birds leftover. Last year 1 person got a turkey off the property. Wasn't a bird left after that. Its depressing

I have a friend who preaches get close. I might not believe this if it came from anyone else. He was hunting one morning before work and had a gobbler strutting back and forth on the T of a logging road. He could see it, but it would not come any closer because of a big mud hole on the lane. He had worked the bird for quite a while, but the hour was getting late. He said he thought the bird was about 50 to 60 yards but wasn't sure. He was carrying a 12 gauge with 3 1/2 inch #9 TSS. He said he talked himself into the shot and immediately regretted it. The bird disappeared after he recovered from recoil, and he walked down the lane cussing himself for giving in to temptation. He paced it off and found a very dead gobbler laying in the lane at 92 paces!

The farthest I have shot one is about 40 but that TSS lays them out. It's funny but the first time I hunted with TSS I had loaded the shells, 3 1/2 #9 TSS and I had the gobbler run down a lane at me to the point I thought it was going to be hand to beak combat. I shot him at about 10 yards and closing!
3 years ago I shot a turkey 35 yards out with tss 9s. I let excitement get the better of me and hit him square in the body. He flattened immediately. When I got home and breasted him out I was extremely concerned with how many pellets I would find in the chest. I didn't find a single pellet. They all went through the right breast, smashed through the breast bone, out the left side. I only found a handful in the left wing socket where they stopped in the bone. Those 9s are no joke.

Last edited:
3 years ago I shot a turkey 35 yards out with tss 9s. I let excitement get the better of me and hit him square in the body. He flattened immediately. When I got home and breasted him out and was extremely concerned with how many pellets I would find in the chest. I didn't find a single pellet. They all went through the right breast, smashed through the breast bone, out the left side. I only found a handful in the left wing socket where they stopped in the bone. Those 9s are no joke.
Yes, a #9 TSS pellet is has the same mass (weight) as a #5 lead pellet so momentum is the same but they have a much smaller size so less air resistance and less resistance in tissue. They flat out penetrate and break bones.

I keep applying whenever reissue quotas are posted but turkey quotas are hard to get and/or I have really bad luck.....I've been applying for turkey quotas 9 years now and only ever got 1 hunt ....is it the out of state peeps wanting an Osceola applying in vast numbers that makes it to were the locals can't draw a hunt? I don't know why they so hard to draw

I keep applying whenever reissue quotas are posted but turkey quotas are hard to get and/or I have really bad luck.....I've been applying for turkey quotas 9 years now and only ever got 1 hunt ....is it the out of state peeps wanting an Osceola applying in vast numbers that makes it to were the locals can't draw a hunt? I don't know why they so hard to draw
Idk what it is, stuff in the turkey woods is getting crazy! Then once this turkey hunting trend goes away, I’m guessing everything will be left messed up

I would imagine its the OOSER's. Only one place to kill an Osceola in the US.

That is the only subspecies that I will considering paying for a guided hunt. The rest I can do myself on public land.

So I'm not much of a turkey guy so my info may be off.....I think I am right at the line where if I drive south into the next county u have higher number of Osceola and North of that county u gonna get into more eastern. I'm like right at the line where the true Osceola starts to mix with the more northern birds. I don't know.....but @10essee and @Capttickle would know for sure

I’m going after them again this year with bow. Have gone 0-3 on them. Still have yet to take a bird, but they’re fun as hell to chase. We should hear back from the lottery here in NJ in a couple weeks.
Gotta respect that dedication!

been thinking turkeys a lot. Wearing m2 vest while predator hunting keeps me stoked for turkeys. My season in Michigan starts April 20. After that I’m heading to visit my wife’s family in PA. I’m going to spend may 4th through 13th chasing public turkeys. Having never been to pa before I have no clue what to expect but just being able to hunt will be satisfying enough. Hell if I see a turkey in pa I’ll call it a win lol.

been thinking turkeys a lot. Wearing m2 vest while predator hunting keeps me stoked for turkeys. My season in Michigan starts April 20. After that I’m heading to visit my wife’s family in PA. I’m going to spend may 4th through 13th chasing public turkeys. Having never been to pa before I have no clue what to expect but just being able to hunt will be satisfying enough. Hell if I see a turkey in pa I’ll call it a win lol.
How you like the vest?

Back