• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tab, glove or other

I'm the moron that uses both. Just depends on the day. Really I shoot a black widow tab most during the off season and then switch to a glove for hunting.

Always used a glove as I shoot split. Have a box full of worn gloves (I like the thin gloves, better feel). Fellow by the name Rick Barbee out of Tx started making a unique tab he called the Death Adder tab. Tried it and never went back to the glove. Slick release and they're made for both Mediterranean and Apache draw ( split and three under ). :)

I think that I maybe totally screwed up after reading through some of these reply's.
I am shooting 3 under with a glove and attempting to do it instinctively.
Sounds like I am back akwards on all accounts.
It is dang frustrating when you don't know what you don't know. I need a "Tad for Dummies" book.

I think that I maybe totally screwed up after reading through some of these reply's.
I am shooting 3 under with a glove and attempting to do it instinctively.
Sounds like I am back akwards on all accounts.
It is dang frustrating when you don't know what you don't know. I need a "Tad for Dummies" book.
You can shoot a glove 3 under just fine. Just keep working on form and shot consistency until you feel good about where you are. Then start fine tuning.

I shoot gloves and a heavier bow. Because I had issues with fingers going numb, I used to shoot a glove with nylon on the outside and liked it except that the nylon side irritated my cheek at my anchor so I switched to a buffalo crossover glove this year. I would say my shooting is the same, release feels a little better and I can hold tighter to my face without irritation over the nylon on the outside. I have tried tabs and as long as my form is good I don’t have a different release. As long as I am rolling my fingertips into the string to avoid the finger numbness it has seemed to solve any release issues usually seen by shooting gloves.

Never liked a glove or a tab. Roger Rothhaar taught us how to triple serve your string and shoot bare fingers. Never any need to find or put on either one, just pick up your bow and shoot, sooo handy. WARNING! Your middle and ring finger will develop a tough thick callous and look a little funny.

Never liked a glove or a tab. Roger Rothhaar taught us how to triple serve your string and shoot bare fingers. Never any need to find or put on either one, just pick up your bow and shoot, sooo handy. WARNING! Your middle and ring finger will develop a tough thick callous and look a little funny.
Whew, that was back when men were men and the sheep were scared. ;)

What poundage are you shooting with bare fingers? Knew a couple guys back in the day who tried it. Had problems with fingers going numb and painful. Never went that route myself. Thin gloves worked fine. YMMV

I shot a #55 recurve for a short time with bare fingers. It worked but it wreaked havok on my guitar playing. I also found it hard to have a consistent release. Granted, it wasnt triple served.

Doesn't matter to me. I shoot with a tab in summer and the shoot with whatever weight glove I need to keep my hands warm when hunting.
Of course I'm picky about the gloves I use for hunting. Cloth, leather or synthetic leather fingers. No gripper dots or doodles for sure.

What poundage are you shooting with bare fingers? Knew a couple guys back in the day who tried it. Had problems with fingers going numb and painful. Never went that route myself. Thin gloves worked fine. YMMV
Back when Roger was helping me, I shot a 72# Widow Recurve, bare fingers, no less. Back then everyone shot heavy limbs, I guess to show how tough we were. Now w/older shoulders, I shoot 54#

I shot a #55 recurve for a short time with bare fingers. It worked but it wreaked havok on my guitar playing. I also found it hard to have a consistent release. Granted, it wasnt triple served.
It's really simple to triple serve a serving. That string is too tiny for my delicate fingers without it!

It's really simple to triple serve a serving. That string is too tiny for my delicate fingers without it!
Do you have the ability show a up close picture of your 3x wrapped serving? I’d be interested to see what that look like. What diameter does that come out being close to?

Do you have the ability show a up close picture of your 3x wrapped serving? I’d be interested to see what that look like. What diameter does that come out being close to?
@Blacksmith what impacts to you notice from the additional string diameter? Is the 3x serving only applied to either side of the nocking point?

I've tried shooting without protection on the fingers. It doesn't take long before they're either numb, or just hurt. I don't believe the release can be anywhere as smoothe either. I've also used those rubber things shown above. Although not a "clean" release, I use them when bow fishing.
I know it can be done. I know people do it. I'd like to see how long their practice sessions are and how long they can stay consistent.

@Blacksmith what impacts to you notice from the additional string diameter? Is the 3x serving only applied to either side of the nocking point?
I've always used two nok sets w/the triple serve above and below. I've not noticed any ill affects w/it. I suppose it slows it down a little but @ 180 fps I don't worry about that.

I've tried shooting without protection on the fingers. It doesn't take long before they're either numb, or just hurt. I don't believe the release can be anywhere as smoothe either. I've also used those rubber things shown above. Although not a "clean" release, I use them when bow fishing.
I know it can be done. I know people do it. I'd like to see how long their practice sessions are and how long they can stay consistent.
I'm sure it takes awhile to get toughened up but I shoot a couple 3D courses w/no ill affects. Real Men Don't Wear Gloves! ha. The triple served is not as large a diameter as those rubber bowfish sets so the release is smoother. IMO.

Back