• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best Climbing Sticks?

John VanDerLaan

Hi guys,

I am the managing editor at DeerHuntingGuide.net and my writers are working on a roundup of the best climbing sticks for saddle hunting.

I would love to hear from some of you experts about your favorite climbing sticks and why.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I would suggest parsing through a few threads that consolidate peoples likes/dislikes:

Gear you liked/disliked 2023

Gear you liked/disliked 2022

I've seen people try a multitude of sticks and many folks return to the Beast Sticks for a few reasons. I too have beast sticks and am continually trying other climbing methods. Beast sticks are consistent and durable. I do wish they had an attachment method like the Tethrd One sticks but until then I'll do as I've done.

Hi guys,

I am the managing editor at DeerHuntingGuide.net and my writers are working on a roundup of the best climbing sticks for saddle hunting.

I would love to hear from some of you experts about your favorite climbing sticks and why.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Are you/they just looking for the best "sets" of sticks or are you including one stick options as well? What sort of parameters are you/they using to determine "best"? It would likely be useful for your writers to understand in saddle hunting, climbing methods are like boots and packs for western hunters, everyone is different and there is a lot of variation in what folks prefer.

Here’s a couple of threads that will be important to any competent and complete article about sticks and saddlehunting:

There are new climbing stick offerings launching this year, it would be remiss to overlook them. However, we’ve not had a chance to critique them yet as they aren’t yet on the market and so far as I know companies haven’t been actively targeting forum members to put their inventions through the paces.

I doubt there are any 2 saddle hunters on here that agree 100% on the pros & cons of the popular top dozen models. The most discussed on here are Hawk Heliums, Tethrd Skeletors or One Sticks, Lone Wolf Custom Gear sticks, Lattitude carbon ss stcks, Beast gear sticks Trophyline/ Novix mini sticks, OOAL Skikar sticks, EWO Ultralite sticks, and you'll find those that love or dislike any of them. And then there are new/ recent sticks waiting to steal the show like Trophyline Hypelites, Tree Styx, Arsenal Icon X20s,

Everyone values different things about each stick differently but the main considerations are:
-Cost
-Comfort of use
-Weight
-length (step to step)
-Standoff depth
-Attachment method
-How solid on the tree
-Packability
-Noisiness

Then there is a multitude of other points for every user to evaluate such as:

3 step vs 2 step sticks
Single vs double step
Weight limit
Reliability
Brand name
material
USA made

And so on.

Last edited:
I doubt there are any 2 saddle hunters on here that agree 100% on the pros & cons of the popular top dozen models. The most discussed on here are Hawk Heliums, Tethrd Skeletors or One Sticks, Lone Wolf Custom Gear sticks, Lattitude carbon ss stcks, Beast gear sticks Trophyline/ Novix mini sticks, OOAL Skikar sticks, EWO Ultralite sticks, and you'll find those that love or dislike any of them. And then there are new/ recent sticks waiting to steal the show like Trophyline Hypelites, Tree Styx, Arsenal Icon X20s,

Everyone values different things about each stick differently but the main considerations are:
-Cost
-Comfort of use
-Weight
-length (step to step)
-Standoff depth
-Attachment method
-Packability
-Noisiness

3 step vs 2 step sticks
Single vs double step
Weight limit
Reliability
Brand name
material
USA made

And so on.
Well my friend one thing you did not mention, my number 1 is safety, how well it bites the tree.

Are you/they just looking for the best "sets" of sticks or are you including one stick options as well? What sort of parameters are you/they using to determine "best"? It would likely be useful for your writers to understand in saddle hunting, climbing methods are like boots and packs for western hunters, everyone is different and there is a lot of variation in what folks prefer.
Thanks for the insight. We are looking for all of the preferences and why those folks prefer the ones they use.

-Cost
-Comfort of use
-Weight
-length (step to step)
-Standoff depth
-Attachment method
-How solid on the tree
-Packability
-Noisiness

3 step vs 2 step sticks
Single vs double step
Weight limit
Reliability
Brand name
material
USA made

And so on.
Thanks Antirain. Very insightful.

Imagine the mayhem of asking the best climbing method.

• Sticks
  • Bolts
    • Carbon
    • Grade 8
    • Rebar
  • Screw in Steps
  • Rope Steps
  • Wild Edge type steps
  • 2tc
  • 1 Sticking

I'm sure I'm missing someone's favorite and I'll find a dead mouse in my coffee tomorrow.

Guaranteed if someone came out with a sub 1lb 20" stick tonight this place would explode with purchases. Then the instant something started to show signs of a durability issue, step wobbling/wiggling, something slightly bending or flexing too much it would be back to the ol' faithful. Nothing quite like second guessing your equipment while you're 20' in the air.

Maybe the better question is, what do you keep coming back to?

I've only tried two brands of climbing sticks. The Novix double minis and the Tethrd Skeletors. I sold the Novix because I despised the straps with buckles and the way they stacked. Packing them up was a pain. I purchase the Skeletors for the attachment method, stacking, the stand off and the way they bite the tree. The attachment method also stores nice and neat on the stick. They are hands down a better stick. For the price and features they packed into these sticks I dont think there is another stick on the market that is close to it. The way the stick is built you can also install retractable aiders if you choose. The only downside is their weight and that doesnt bother me.

Thanks for the insight. We are looking for all of the preferences and why those folks prefer the ones they use.
In that case, taking an approach similar to what @cibor outlined above might be worth exploring. Keep in mind many of those methods are nuanced and without "best practices" in the hunting world. We largely depend on best practices from other climbing arena's, the guidance of our folks here in those industries and a double spoon full of redneckinizing good and bad practices.

I’ve owned & tried most every stick out. My preference is full length beast sticks ( no longer produced, only 20” available). They bite the tree extremely well , have a flat double step design & a good set of stock straps. I know there are lighter more compact methods but I’ve stopped searching for more perfection than what I use currently.

Back