• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2024 Turkey Thread

Although they gobble all year, in my experience, they really don’t start gobbling in earnest until there’s about 13 hours of daylight or more in a day. Photoperiodism is what triggers the onslaught of true gobbling season. It’s at almost 11 hours of daylight right now.

I’ve killed one at 65yds with a 20ga shooting TSS. He was in a field strutting in knee high grass. I bellly crawled him to what I thought was 50. When I popped and pulled the trigger, I remember thinking man that’s a long 50. Stepped him to 65. TSS #9’s are the way to go! I won’t ever shoot anything else, not for the distance, but for the lethality. There is nothing worse then seeing a turkey roll, get up and fly off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did something similar last year. Open field got me for a way longer distance than I thought also. I shot the bird for I figured 60. TSS has a killing pattern well beyond that in my gun and choke but I would never knowingly shoot beyond that far at a turkey. Ended up being 72 steps and he flopped 3 times. It nuked him. I do like the insurance it provides though

Does it make that big of a difference? Does it add length? I like the pattern at 50 yards.
When I went from a primos jelly head to the Carlson it was night and day. The XR tube was designed specifically for the Winchester XR shells. I’m shooting a Stoeger M300 and it’s a .650 in that gun but it is .660 in remchoke. My hunting buddy 870 is wicked with it in his.

Question for the guys slinging TSS from a .410. Is a factory fixed full choke barrel (.398) a viable option for TSS? I know each gun will handle various shells differently but I'm intrigued in trying some Apex through that .398 and having another option in the woods. Just wanted to check for input/experience before grabbing any shells. Thanks!

Question for the guys slinging TSS from a .410. Is a factory fixed full choke barrel (.398) a viable option for TSS? I know each gun will handle various shells differently but I'm intrigued in trying some Apex through that .398 and having another option in the woods. Just wanted to check for input/experience before grabbing any shells. Thanks!
So my old h&r fixed full was at .395 and didn't throw a pattern worth shooting a turkey with beyond 30 yards IMO, but you never know till you try. I've seen some guns throw exceptional pattern with fixed full barrels.

I shoot a .390 in my turkey guns. I mean, no one can really say it will or won’t work. It’s worth a try! My .390 is good to 50 even though I don’t plan to shoot that far.

My son’s Turkey choke is a .395 and I would be confident killing a turkey out to 40-45. Get on Old Gobbler and do some research. They have a lot of good info on sub gauges and chokes. There are some boys on there that have been reloading tss since the early 2000’s long before the whole world found out about it.

My son’s Turkey choke is a .395 and I would be confident killing a turkey out to 40-45. Get on Old Gobbler and do some research. They have a lot of good info on sub gauges and chokes. There are some boys on there that have been reloading tss since the early 2000’s long before the whole world found out about it.

Ugh I cannot stand old gobbler. Everyone and their mother is using tss loads and choke combos that will cleanly and ethically take turkeys out to 70 yards all day long every time in any condition. But the second you mention you shoot 1 foot over forty yards, you get threatened with a ban and are heralded as the most unethical Hunter to ever hunt. Everyone's so full of crap there

Looking for recommendations on a new pot call (slate/glass whatever you love). I rarely use the one I have because I don't like the sound that much but need to have another viable option when the mouth call or box isn't working.

Ugh I cannot stand old gobbler. Everyone and their mother is using tss loads and choke combos that will cleanly and ethically take turkeys out to 70 yards all day long every time in any condition. But the second you mention you shoot 1 foot over forty yards, you get threatened with a ban and are heralded as the most unethical Hunter to ever hunt. Everyone's so full of crap there
That and the other turkey forum are odd. I like them but I once mentioned 100$ for a box of .410 shells was expensive and it got taken down lol wasn’t thrilled about that.

Woodhaven Cherry Classic Crystal! She’s a beast
agreed. I have that pot and its nice.

I have called in alot of birds with that plastic/glass HS Strut pot call too. I use a woodhaven striker on it but it worked really well. Ill still keep it with me cuz it works.

I think alot of guys dont touch up there call enough. You have to get the glass scratched up just right and keep it clean. same with your striker.

Looking for recommendations on a new pot call (slate/glass whatever you love). I rarely use the one I have because I don't like the sound that much but need to have another viable option when the mouth call or box isn't working.
John Sinclair calls are my favorite

Lee Chadwick with Misfire Game Calls makes an awesome pot. I have atleast 4 of his calls.

It all depends on what your range is. If you like hunting 30-35 yds and in, i would find a choke thats not too tight. TSS is expensive to do research with but once you find the pattern your lookin for its over. Just grab a couple boxes and it will last you years even if you tag out in one state each year. still cheaper than bow hunting over rocks!

When I went from a primos jelly head to the Carlson it was night and day. The XR tube was designed specifically for the Winchester XR shells. I’m shooting a Stoeger M300 and it’s a .650 in that gun but it is .660 in remchoke. My hunting buddy 870 is wicked with it in his.
I went from a cheap undertaker to the Carlson XR on my mossberg. Its a great pattern. night and day for sure

Check out Enticer calls! Affordable and I’ve had good luck with them. Also, David Halloran, but a little pricier than Enticer if memory serves correct.

I have a .385 Carlson in my moss 500 410 and it shoots good but not great. It patterns the browning tss the best. Have an Indian Creek showing up tomorrow to see how it does. Easy 40 yards as is but has few flat spots in it. Looking to round it out.

Back