• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone use John Eberharts scent control methods?

Bowtech12

I was watch some of John’s videos
It’s a pretty extensive system

To the point of not using stealth strips on climbing sticks

Just wondering if anyone has used a scent control system and how would you rate your deer encounters before and after

I was watch some of John’s videos
It’s a pretty extensive system

To the point of not using stealth strips on climbing sticks

Just wondering if anyone has used a scent control system and how would you rate your deer encounters before and after

First thing I wanna say. I went to John’s workshop but I do not use his scent control method because it’s tuff. Some pretty high profile hunters, and we all know who they are, throw at John because they “think” he advocates wear ScentLok and you don’t have to worry about the wind. John was not affiliated with ScentLok when I went to his seminar. But wearing their clothes is not even close to the entire regimen he does and it pisses me off how he is treated by those mis-informed hunters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried to commit to his scent control regimen. I had to draw the line at shaving my body though. I tested it… still got busted. I will take a scent free shower and keep my clothes in an airtight tote but these days the rest of the regimen to me the juice ain’t worth the squeeze. There is no better scent control than playing the wind.

My thoughts watching his videos is that you must shoot with gloves on which I don’t
The only pack you could use would be a scentlok which is by far a lesser pack too

In addition the hills I hunt rubber boots are cutting it
I wear hikers so I think those three things would eliminate anything close to what he does

I’m lucky enough to have picked up an extensive amount of ScentLok gear along with all his complete regimen from the classifieds here and I can say that I’m likely going to fall in the most common camp; I will incorporate as much as I can without getting in way above my waders but I’m not willing/able to do some of the things required.

This topic is so incredibly divisive I actually stopped reading threads on it for a bit, our normally civil board turns into a madhouse and some folks get just downright cruel. In the end I went back and read a lot and think the main points for MOST folks continue to be:

1) Adding or having some sort of scent control doesn’t hurt.
2) You should still play the wind when possible.
3) You can get good deals on Scentlok when they have sales or you find a member you trust took care of their gear making some changes in the classifieds.

After that it’s just a bunch of police dog scent training, farts and bad breath, and unprovable monetary challenges. Sorry for the long post and most importantly, Welcome to Thunderdome.

Last edited:
I believe that his process works for the most part. It takes a special person to be able to follow it all the way. If I was a little OCD it would probably have helped. I was doing a lot of it. showers/ scentlock head to toe/totes/rubber boots/change at the truck and then I started hearing about people who gave up on it and have killed more deer after they stopped and started to pay more attention to the wind. I payed more attention to the wind, fresh sign, burning my spots, stopped with the showers, stopped with the changing at the truck, stopped with the totes, I still wore my scentlok however I would put it on at the house and let it hang in my basement and have been having more fun, seeing more deer and killing more deer since I stopped. Probably if I stayed the course and payed more attention to fresh sign and the wind I would see even more deer however at this point I would rather not. Am I killing giant deer, no, am I killing more deer and larger/older deer yes and I am having more fun while doing it.

It's been a while since I've read John's odor regimen but as best as I can remember, I'm at about 80% of what he does.
I'm not crazy enough to think that a human can become odorless to deer. Current technology has not yet cracked that nut and I hope they never do. I enjoy playing the game of odor reduction while playing the wind. It's all part of the overall strategy and I find it an enjoyable part of the entire pursuit.

As the saying goes "The devil is in the details" and odor reduction definitely falls into that saying. I've said it a thousand times...A successful hunt is the culmination of details. The more details that you address, the more consistently successful you'll be.
Guys get "dug-in" on one side or the other with this topic. Do what ever makes you happy. Playing the odor reduction game does make me happy, especially when I eyewitness the benefits of my practices. Learning surface wind behavior and applying it to stand selection also makes me happy, but we all know that wind patterns are not 100% dependable and the swirl, eddy, or negative thermal seems to rear it's ugly head at just the very worst time.

I'm fully confident that odor reduction improves the odds of a successful hunt. Addressing each and every detail ups the odds better than a half-hearted odor regimen. But no matter what we do, we are going to get busted from time to time.

I'm most concerned about 3 things...
1. The distance in which deer bust me. Close contact busts are most common but there's a distance out there where a minor bust becomes a no-bust. The closer that I can move that invisible line, the less educated the herd will be.

2. The intensity of the bust. We get busted and we often don't realize it. A minor bust may be nothing more that a slight difference in the deer's body language but there's no alarm or panic. The herd often continues their original intensions. The doe that barely gets a whiff is far less likely to blow-up the encounter.

3. And the longevity of the residual odor I leave at my stand and access routes. I have access to small acreage with limited access routes and limited feasible stand sites. I often need to hunt particular stands repeatedly. The less intense my odor is, the less residual odor I leave behind, the fresher my stand stay, and the less educated the deer are.

If there is one undeniable improvement that I've had from odor reduction, it would be a huge reduction in ground odor along my access routes. Deer pay little to no attention when they cross my trail. That's huge since I have so many limitations on access routes and stand sites.

Last season I stopped using sprays, etc. I keep my hunting clothes out of my house. Store them with a sock filled with baking soda in a plastic bin. I try to play the wind and move my spots around frequently.

His system is a little much for me. He’s definitely doing something right as he kills huge mature bucks. I on the other hand am perfectly happy killing the deer that I kill and see his system as too much for me.

I think if you have the time and ability to practice all the details as John suggests, you will be ahead of the game. Unfortunately many people equate John’s success with just his scent control regimen but it is just one factor. He says that himself. I personally belief his success has to do with his overall approach of how he hunts, his scouting and pre season preparation, and yes his scent control.

I personally try to be as scent free as possible but because I know I can’t be 100% no matter what I do, I try to use the wind and thermals as much as I can and scouting, cameras, and experience. I wash my clothes and hang them out and try to keep them away from my “everyday” life as possible but I also don’t let the regiment consume me.

It's been a while since I've read John's odor regimen but as best as I can remember, I'm at about 80% of what he does.
I'm not crazy enough to think that a human can become odorless to deer. Current technology has not yet cracked that nut and I hope they never do. I enjoy playing the game of odor reduction while playing the wind. It's all part of the overall strategy and I find it an enjoyable part of the entire pursuit.

As the saying goes "The devil is in the details" and odor reduction definitely falls into that saying. I've said it a thousand times...A successful hunt is the culmination of details. The more details that you address, the more consistently successful you'll be.
Guys get "dug-in" on one side or the other with this topic. Do what ever makes you happy. Playing the odor reduction game does make me happy, especially when I eyewitness the benefits of my practices. Learning surface wind behavior and applying it to stand selection also makes me happy, but we all know that wind patterns are not 100% dependable and the swirl, eddy, or negative thermal seems to rear it's ugly head at just the very worst time.

I'm fully confident that odor reduction improves the odds of a successful hunt. Addressing each and every detail ups the odds better than a half-hearted odor regimen. But no matter what we do, we are going to get busted from time to time.

I'm most concerned about 3 things...
1. The distance in which deer bust me. Close contact busts are most common but there's a distance out there where a minor bust becomes a no-bust. The closer that I can move that invisible line, the less educated the herd will be.

2. The intensity of the bust. We get busted and we often don't realize it. A minor bust may be nothing more that a slight difference in the deer's body language but there's no alarm or panic. The herd often continues their original intensions. The doe that barely gets a whiff is far less likely to blow-up the encounter.

3. And the longevity of the residual odor I leave at my stand and access routes. I have access to small acreage with limited access routes and limited feasible stand sites. I often need to hunt particular stands repeatedly. The less intense my odor is, the less residual odor I leave behind, the fresher my stand stay, and the less educated the deer are.

If there is one undeniable improvement that I've had from odor reduction, it would be a huge reduction in ground odor along my access routes. Deer pay little to no attention when they cross my trail. That's huge since I have so many limitations on access routes and stand sites.
If the deer cross your trail snd they don’t blow out of the area you are winning

Since I only hunt on public land, trying to do scent control regimens took a great deal of fun out of hunting. I enjoy mobile hunting because I get to be spontaneous, which is very different from the other parts of my life.

When I learned how sensitive a deers nose is, along with wind, thermals, and how to use milkweed, I ditched almost all of the scent control routines. I immediately started to enjoy the spontaneity of hunting once again and have not looked back.

Back