• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Why don't yall 2TC?

The loop on the RH-side of your picture is a thigh loop. It is optional. It appears like you're missing a tether or you didn't lay it out for the picture.

Last edited:
The loop on the RH-side of your pictures is a thigh loop. It is optional. It appears like you're missing a tether or you didn't lay it out for the picture.

I had planned to use my linemans belt as my bottom tether if I needed a second tether.

BT

2TC is kind of my 3rd back up method, but I think you want the thigh loop setup so you can adjust it up/down your top tether (prusik or mechanical). It adds some stability and keeps you closer to the tree, if adjusted correctly.

I would use the one shown on the LH-side as your bottom tether (foot tether).

If I’m understanding this correctly, the webbing that the foot loop on the left is attached to is a tether itself and that would be your bottom tether or foot tether. The optional foot loop on the right would be attached to your current tether (top tether) via long prussic and carabiner. Is that correct? I have one of these kits coming and that was how I thought it went.

Another question I would have is with the thigh band connection. Would it attach above or below your saddle bridge attachment to your top tether? In my case, below or above madrock safeguard connection.

If I’m understanding this correctly, the webbing that the foot loop on the left is attached to is a tether itself and that would be your bottom tether or foot tether. The optional foot loop on the right would be attached to your current tether (top tether) via long prussic and carabiner. Is that correct? I have one of these kits coming and that was how I thought it went.

Another question I would have is with the thigh band connection. Would it attach above or below your saddle bridge attachment to your top tether? In my case, below or above madrock safeguard connection.

I'm in the same boat. I haven't got out to try it yet because I wasn't sure exactly how it would go.

BT

Sho nuff.
His is the webbing version. On the left side is the foot loop with the webbing tether.

On the right side is a matching foot loop. Either foot loop can Also be used as a thigh loop ( keeps the kit more versatile that way.)

The amsteel loop is used to prussic hitch to your main tether ( not included in the kit) and the "thighloop" attached to that prussik with the provided carabiner.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Sho nuff.
His is the webbing version. On the left side is the foot loop with the webbing tether.

On the right side is a matching foot loop. Either foot loop can Also be used as a thigh loop ( keeps the kit more versatile that way.)

The amsteel loop is used to prussic hitch to your main tether ( not included in the kit) and the "thighloop" attached to that prussik with the provided carabiner.

Thanks Jerry. That was my main point of confusion was whether the webbing was to be used as the actual tether or if I was supposed to be attaching it to a different tether somehow.

BT

Sho nuff.

I will be that one in the class that asks the dumb question. When using the thigh loop, would that get attached above or below my madrock attachment on my main tether?

Can one of ya'll 2TC experts explain my kit to me?

I have two foot loops, an amsteel prussic, and a carabiner. One foot loop has a long webbing attached with a loop in the end. This is the CGM Kit.

Is the long webbing with loop intended to be my bottom tether, or am I suppose to loop it around a different tether?

Does the prussik go on my top tether, then hook into the other foot loop (leg loop?) Via the carabiner?

I thought the leg loop was supposed to have elastic to keep it on my leg, but I cannot see any way to keep it on my leg as the little straps buckle vertically rather than around the loop to be able to tighten.

View attachment 101573

BT
Jerry used to make a separate padded thigh loop but some people were using it as a second foot loop which it was not built for. So, he simplified it. The left one is your foot tether with the webbing being girth hitched around the tree and the frame buckle gives you the adjustability. You would place the right hand one on your thigh and simply tighten up the strap to make it fit snug. I replaced the webbing strap on mine with a bit of bungee cord and cord lock that works well also.

So, if you’re going to climb you may find that on most trees you only need the left, foot tether.

I will be that one in the class that asks the dumb question. When using the thigh loop, would that get attached above or below my madrock attachment on my main tether?
Using the Madrock I find I prefer the thigh loop attached above because you need slack below the Madrock in order to adjust it up and down. If you use a friction hitch as your main attachment to the tether, then attaching the thigh loop below that hitch works just fine.

Not dumb at all. Honestly, I rarely use it. Only for Large (22" and up) diameter trees. It just takes place of a leg hook.

If I use it, I have it below my saddle connection

This is the way.

Did more practice and it’s awesome. Little unnerving at heights when I’m adjusting tether but I’m mainly anxious cuz I still need something to loosen tether without my fingers going under it.

i even went up a limby cypress and had no issues.

Next step is trying to hang my ROS at height. I’m unsure if I will run all 5 Ameristeps - also curious how you cats are packing them? Just in a dump pouch?

I’ll probably carry my rappel line+madeock in bag in case I wanna get down fast, but I honestly don’t see any huge advantage to using the rappel. managing slack with the distel hitches is more intuitive and safe

Last edited:
Can one of ya'll 2TC experts explain my kit to me?

I have two foot loops, an amsteel prussic, and a carabiner. One foot loop has a long webbing attached with a loop in the end. This is the CGM Kit.

Is the long webbing with loop intended to be my bottom tether, or am I suppose to loop it around a different tether?

Does the prussik go on my top tether, then hook into the other foot loop (leg loop?) Via the carabiner?

I thought the leg loop was supposed to have elastic to keep it on my leg, but I cannot see any way to keep it on my leg as the little straps buckle vertically rather than around the loop to be able to tighten.

View attachment 101573

BT
Those are both foot loops. I have a leg loop with the elastic on it.....if you want one.
Edit: I was late to reply i see....however I've been using the old style "thigh" loop with elastic as a footloop since I started 2TC and it's still going strong and I actually prefer it to the new style footloop.

Not dumb at all. Honestly, I rarely use it. Only for Large (22" and up) diameter trees. It just takes place of a leg hook.

If I use it, I have it below my saddle connection

Can you post a video at some point on your channel showing the thigh loop in use? Maybe I'm a dummy lol, but I can't see how it replaces the leg hook if you're moving the tether up that it's attached to. I have been playing around with the kit in the yard and like it. But I just can't wrap my head around the thigh loop.

Back