• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Why don't yall 2TC?

Can you post a video at some point on your channel showing the thigh loop in use? Maybe I'm a dummy lol, but I can't see how it replaces the leg hook if you're moving the tether up that it's attached to. I have been playing around with the kit in the yard and like it. But I just can't wrap my head around the thigh loop.
I’m not Jerry but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. Well not really but here’s two videos that show it in use. It doesn’t replace the leg hook but stabilizes you as you move up the foot tether. The leg hook stabilizes you as you move up the main tether, so you will still do both. At least that’s the way I use it and how it’s used in the second video.

I’m not Jerry but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. Well not really but here’s two videos that show it in use. It doesn’t replace the leg hook but stabilizes you as you move up the foot tether. The leg hook stabilizes you as you move up the main tether, so you will still do both. At least that’s the way I use it and how it’s used in the second video.

Thanks, I’ve seen those, and they make sense. But Jerry had mentioned that it takes the place of a leg hook on larger diameter trees.

Lol thanks, I’ve seen those, and they make sense. But Jerry had mentioned that it takes the place of a leg hook on larger diameter trees. Maybe people are using the leg hook while actually stepping up? I thought it was just used to stabilize yourself while moving your top tether.

Thanks, I’ve seen those, and they make sense. But Jerry had mentioned that it takes the place of a leg hook on larger diameter trees.

Lol thanks, I’ve seen those, and they make sense. But Jerry had mentioned that it takes the place of a leg hook on larger diameter trees. Maybe people are using the leg hook while actually stepping up? I thought it was just used to stabilize yourself while moving your top tether.

Here's another video where he goes pretty in depth.

I found this one helpful

BT

I’m not sure what he meant by that though. In every video I’ve seen, whether him or Red Beard they are using it to stabilize themselves as they move up the foot tether, which is what I do.

Not dumb at all. Honestly, I rarely use it. Only for Large (22" and up) diameter trees. It just takes place of a leg hook.

If I use it, I have it below my saddle connection

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
So, I was asked to clarify the positioning and use of the thigh loop. I have to correct myself.
The thigh loop is NOT used to replace the leg lock. It is used on the main tether to add stability while advancing the foot loop

So, I was asked to clarify the positioning and use of the thigh loop. I have to correct myself.
The thigh loop is NOT used to replace the leg lock. It is used on the main tether to add stability while advancing the foot loop

Thanks for clearing that up. This could probably be accomplished with a 3rd tether that we carry anyway to get around limbs. I did play around with using a linesman belt , and that seemed to add stability without leg hooking.

I just got the CGM 2TC system from you guys.so I have 2 foot/thigh loops it’s the webbing style. So all I do to use the thigh one is hook that am steel loop to the thigh strap and to my bridge carabiner?and climb that way?

I just got the CGM 2TC system from you guys.so I have 2 foot/thigh loops it’s the webbing style. So all I do to use the thigh one is hook that am steel loop to the thigh strap and to my bridge carabiner?and climb that way?
No sir. The Amsteel loop gets girth hitched to the main tether and the thigh loop connects to that via the included carabiner

No sir. The Amsteel loop gets girth hitched to the main tether and the thigh loop connects to that via the included carabiner

Ok after seeing it again then I thought you make a prison on the main then hook it but the Amstel doesn’t look long enough. So girth hitching is strong enough?

Ok after seeing it again then I thought you make a prison on the main then hook it but the Amstel doesn’t look long enough. So girth hitching is strong enough?

I think this is how it goes.

BT

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240413_100521_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240413_100521_Gallery.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 36
I did my first full climb today in the woods after practicing several small climbs at home. I'm loving the packability of this kit. It made scouting in dense areas feel like I wasn't carrying anything! And I like having rappel line as the top tether - quick and safe way to get down. It was also good to learn that large trees are not an issue (probably 2' or more at the start....tether was barely big enough, and I couldn't come close to wrapping my arms around it). This method felt safer than multi stick climbing or one-sticking.

I tried 2TCing again today. I picked a basketball-sized, limbless tree. My last climb I got my feet to 20' in 20 moves, in ≈9:08 running time (paused my stopwatch a few times because I had to stop and rest).

I can tell you right now, the way I one-stick with moving the tether up every step to avoid slack, I cannot one-stick to 20' faster than that. So I feel like I'm really close to going all-in on 2TC. I think today showed me although the individual moves feel like a lot of exertion, I felt way more coordinated than on previous attempts (choosing a smaller tree probably helped) and I'm confident I can get faster. Yeah, I was a sweaty mess in 75° sunshine but I would've been one-sticking too.

I think the only hindrance in my mind is wet trees. I imagine 2TCing a slick tree trunk would be miserable.

I tried 2TCing again today. I picked a basketball-sized, limbless tree. My last climb I got my feet to 20' in 20 moves, in ≈9:08 running time (paused my stopwatch a few times because I had to stop and rest).

I can tell you right now, the way I one-stick with moving the tether up every step to avoid slack, I cannot one-stick to 20' faster than that. So I feel like I'm really close to going all-in on 2TC. I think today showed me although the individual moves feel like a lot of exertion, I felt way more coordinated than on previous attempts (choosing a smaller tree probably helped) and I'm confident I can get faster. Yeah, I was a sweaty mess in 75° sunshine but I would've been one-sticking too.

I think the only hindrance in my mind is wet trees. I imagine 2TCing a slick tree trunk would be miserable.
what are you using on your tether? madrock or hitch cord?

I just got my 2 tc and tried using a figure 8 to accend didn't go as well as I thought have to get coordinated try my swabbish hitch next time and give it a go again. I am getting the madrock safe guard and going to back it up top with maybe a cornells hitch

I just got my 2 tc and tried using a figure 8 to accend didn't go as well as I thought have to get coordinated try my swabbish hitch next time and give it a go again. I am getting the madrock safe guard and going to back it up top with maybe a cornells hitch
Keep at it. Starting out you will have great climbs and struggle climbs. It will come with time. At some point it will just click and be like second nature.

Yeah, hitches really go well with 2TC. With all the movement of the 2 tethers and potential for clanking metal parts
together I've gone metal free except my main bridge to hitch attachment carabiner.
No more carefulness to not make clanking noise.
Then just use the Figure 8 to rappel....or a munter!

So I got my 2TC kit today from Jerry @always89y and it is very good quality. I did 2 climbs with it so far, probably around 10 foot.

Some things right off the bat for me was that the strap on the foot loop that is for holding it on your foot had to go after the first climb. I took my foot out each move so it is more of a hindrance if you use it that way. I guess it would help if you keep your foot in the whole time. I also did not use the other foot loop for a thigh band. I think it would have to be a pretty big tree before I messed with it.

I also did not like climbing with my rappel rope and madrock Safeguard. The safeguard banged off the tree and the canyon elite rope falls down pretty easy. Some of this is probably I need a lot of experience.

But, I switched to a HSS tether I had laying around for the second climb and it seemed to do better in this regard of falling down. The rappel rope is doable for sure but I fought with it more. I am now contemplating whether rappelling at all. The 2TC method is easy enough to come down. It would probably be easier to rappel if you had a lot of limbs to navigate on the way down.

I used a prussic on the main tether for the second climb. I want to use something else or some other knot that is easily adjustable and I can tend easily. This is where I did like the madrock because I could easily take slack out or give my self some. Again, probably a technique and experience thing.

All and all I actually like it and am looking forward to practicing more and getting the details down.

Back