• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

.17 HMR

CZMark

SH Member
I've been considering purchasing a new .22. I want a decent bolt action, something to be my go-to for paper and squirrels. Top current choice is a Bergara BMR.

My attention, however, keeps getting diverted to the same gun in .17HMR. The only downside I see is the cost of ammo. Which would you buy?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

If you like to kill squirrels, .17hmr is great. If you like to eat squirrels, I can think of a handful of better options…
What options would you suggest? I've killed squirrels with a shotgun, a .22, and a 32 caliber flintlock; I'm all ears if you have a better suggestion.

17HMR's are great provided you keep your shots within 100yds. Outside of that range, they're very susceptible to the wind.

David

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

I've been considering purchasing a new .22. I want a decent bolt action, something to be my go-to for paper and squirrels. Top current choice is a Bergara BMR.

My attention, however, keeps getting diverted to the same gun in .17HMR. The only downside I see is the cost of ammo. Which would you buy?

17 HMR is really cool, if you don't already have one.

I've only shot mine on paper (savage with thumb hold stock). It's much more accurate than any 22 LR I've shot, which I've heard is attributable to the ammo being so much better on average.

You can get FMJ, soft point, and hollow points. Given the speed, I wouldn't use hollow points on squirrel, if you don't want them cut in half.

I've always thought it would be a cool 200 yards squirrel gun, but I never go squirrel hunting these days.

I’m partial to a .22 or .25, or even .30 PCP air rifle.

But where I squirrel hunt I’m typically shooting inside 50 yards.

Next would be subsonic suppressed .22

Than any .22 or shotgun.

.17 makes squirrels into squirrel smoothie.

you think a soft point or FMJ would do that? the FMJ might zip through and not be good for marginal shots.

I own both for different reasons. I much prefer the .17HMR for hunting. The .17 is faster/flatter and more accurate than your average .22, but will also cause way more trauma on a body shot. I will shoot my .17 consistently to about 150-160 yds., beyond that range it is fun on targets, but very susceptible to the wind and extremely low energy! I do prefer my .22LR for bench shooting for accuracy, plinking, and ammo cost. If I only could own one for a multi-purpose, it would probably be a .22LR. Also, yes, there are multiple ammo options available for either, but if accuracy matters you're stuck with what shoots best. My .17 won't shoot a CCI FMJ, or Gamepoint, worth a dang; but it does absolutely love the Hornady loading of the 17 gr. V-MAX, so that's the only ammo I buy for it.

How are you hunting them? I went a few years ago shooting at them with my 17. You either need a low power scope, or shoot them at 50+ yards. A moving squirrel in the woods was hard to get a hold on with a bolt action rifle imo. Semi auto 22 would have probably been a better choice. 17 is also pretty loud in the woods. If I was going to do it again, I think I would grab the 22 semi auto I picked up little while back if I was gonna be in the woods. On a Field edge where I can reach out. 17.

Just a thought. Good .22 ammo will cost you the same as .17 ammo. If not more in some cases. A Good .22 will compare to a .17 as far as accuracy goes. I’ve only ever shot my .22 to 150 though. I’d say 2-3 hundred the .17 would shine. .17 don’t like wind at all. Maybe less than a .22.
I used to be a die hard .17 guy but after I bought a good .22 I’m not so sure anymore. .17are still sweet. Can’t hurt to have both.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I should have known that there would be no real consensus among this group.

Keep your thoughts coming.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I should have known that there would be no real consensus among this group.

Keep your thoughts coming.

If you’re looking for a more direct answer. It would be .22lr in Cz 457. Those bmr are sweet though haha never shot one just looked at em a couple times.
Can you give more details? Gonna shoot a lot? How far? A lot meaning hundred of rounds a month.

My .17 is probably one of my more favored guns in the safe. It’s a blast to shoot crazy accurate and an excellent small game/varmint round. As stated the only down fall is how susceptible it is to wind out past 100. .22s are their own fun and have their place as well. If I had to only pick one I would go with a 22. It’s a cheap to shoot but with that you sacrifice a little bit of accuracy and power. But let’s be real who’s going out shooting squirrels and rabbits at any distance over 50 with a rim fire so that sacrifice in accuracy from a hunting stand point doesn’t much matter.

Back