• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2022 Hunting Snacks/food

GreginPA

SH Member
Ok guys. Starting to get excited about the 2022 season. But I'll tell you I'm not excited about the food and snacks I would normally take. So..... Tell me your favorite food or snack for hunting. I'm going to ask for two suggestions. 1) all day sit and 2) short sit/snacks

I'll go first, this is what I normally take but I'm looking to switch it up this year and want some new ideas

All Day sit - I normally do a rare roast beef sandwich with some horseradish to keep me awake. If it is late season I'll do a chicken noodle soup in a thermos to keep warm

Short sit - Fig bar, Trail mix, Jerky

Typically, the only food I carry is an apple and a homemade trail mix that contains various nuts, candy, and coffee beans. I vary the amount I take based on the length of the sit.

I’ll take some jerky, nut bars and now I think I’ll be taking two hard boiled eggs that’s a good idea thanks CZ mark. I usually take two bottles of water in a metal bottle to reduce the noise .

A bottle of water for a sit longer than 4 hours and maybe, for an all-day sit a couple of fig bars.

Is it more effective paired with a big bowl of beans? Human powered scentlok grunt call.

Camouflages your teeth too.

FR though, all day sits I typically take a couple apples, winesaps specifically, favorite apple. A few Reese's peanut butter cups. Pretty much the only time of year I eat candy. Maybe a couple fig bars. And water. I avoid eating anything too salty so I'm not needing more water. Also those aluminum bottles are pretty awesome for taking a quaffable beverage to enjoy during the midday lull. Once in a great while if I have a few bad days and start feeling the need for some creature comforts to keep me out there I'll pack a thermos of coffee.

Half day sits just a bottle of water no food needed.

Water in the hydration bladder of my pack, honey stinger waffles taken out of original package and put in zip top bags, maybe an apple. Sometimes I like to make pb&j sammiches and vacuum seal them. Makes it really dense almost like a protein bar.

hydration bladder with water, maybe coffee in my thermos depending on whether I drank it all on the drive out, apples are routinely in my pack along with a jar of off brand goober and some small fajita size tortillas in a silicone ziploc for making PB&J wraps with when I get real hungry or need something to keep me in the tree for 15 min, there's typically a snickers bar hidden in there as well somewhere

Back