• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

3 Step Two Tether Climbing. Anyone else try this?

Steve_Eh

Vendor Rep
I just got the Custom Gear Modifications - CGM 2TC Kit (2 Tether Climbing) in and was playing around with it yesterday. I added an extra foot loop and hammock strap aider and it works pretty well. This way I get approximately 3 more feet per transition. In theory, reducing the number of transitions by 66%. What do you guys think and any recommendations to improve my climbing technique with this method?

After watching it I realized I should move the tether after each step so if I did slip, the fall distance would be less.

There were some videos of guys using a three step aider attached to the bottom tether to climb 2tc with pretty efficiently. The same can be achieved with a movable friction hitch. At the end of the day your hieght per move is constrained to how high you can move your foot tether. That’s why having a movable footloop or a foot loop in general on both tethers you can leap frog and get a lot more height per single move of each tether. Continue to climb 2TC And I think you will refine your movements a lot. When I first started I wanted to get the most distance per move;however, there is a trade off in distance per move and speed of the move. As you continue to climb you will find those inefficiencies and refine your system of progressing the tethers. Thanks for sharing!

It's not for an old guy like me but has anyone used a foot ascender on their set up rather than a foot loop? I could picture in my mind gaining some height per move that way.

It's not for an old guy like me but has anyone used a foot ascender on their set up rather than a foot loop? I could picture in my mind gaining some height per move that way.
I use a hitch or a Garda to be able to move my foot up each time. You could probably use a foot ascender but my concern would be pulling the slack through the decide. If you don’t have the weight of a decent amount of rope does it still ascend easily?

I use a hitch or a Garda to be able to move my foot up each time. You could probably use a foot ascender but my concern would be pulling the slack through the decide. If you don’t have the weight of a decent amount of rope does it still ascend easily?
I have a Notch foot ascender which easily moves up with a couple of feet of rope hanging.

Back