• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Adding additional strap to one stick at hunting height.

hauerlane

I’m staring to piece together a one sticking setup. I am debating going with a stick with built in platform vs a lighter stick used in conjunction with my tethrd predator. My biggest reason leaning towards utilizing the predator is because how solid it is when camed into tree vs the movement I’ve seen on one stick setups with platforms on top.

I’m curious if anyone with one stick setups with platforms on top have tried adding an additional ratchet strap or OCB to make them as solid as a cam over type platform.

I’ve used a Trophyline Wingman with EWO standoffs all year and still have a Predator. The Wingman has never moved on me once.

I have not added a second strap, but just ordered a ROS so there’s that. Phatkaw I see your gear tie handle and will be putting one on mine in a similar fashion……thanks for the tip!

I’ve used a Trophyline Wingman with EWO standoffs all year and still have a Predator. The Wingman has never moved on me once.

I’m sure it’s totally safe and not going to kick out, but I just haven’t seen any one stick on video that’s as solid with zero movement when pivoting around tree, as something like a predator when properly set.

I don’t have a ROS, so I tend to side load the platform close to the tree when positioning, which I would think would be more likely to move the stick around some.

The stick moves more (still very little) than something like a predator when properly set and camed over, right?

It depends on the stick. I have an EWO with slanted scout and it doesnt' budge. EWO has the best standoffs IMO. Sometimes for a long sit in the later season I pack my predator platform along anyway for some extra real estate and will put the stick at 8-9 o'clock to help move around the tree. phatkaw's setup above is my go to for early season

I’m staring to piece together a one sticking setup. I am debating going with a stick with built in platform vs a lighter stick used in conjunction with my tethrd predator. My biggest reason leaning towards utilizing the predator is because how solid it is when camed into tree vs the movement I’ve seen on one stick setups with platforms on top.

I’m curious if anyone with one stick setups with platforms on top have tried adding an additional ratchet strap or OCB to make them as solid as a cam over type platform.

What kind of standoffs are you planning on using on your stick? I personally use the EWO brackets and they seem very solid to me. But I use the mission platform and the stick is on the opposite side of the tree to move around. So far I've had no issues with stick movement.

That being said, I would NOT use a ratchet strap or OCB on the stick, either with or without the platform on top. On EWO's website, they specifically say their brackets are not to be used with a ratchet strap or on a platform that uses a cam-over action. I remember reading a thread on here about the ultralight brackets bending after repeated normal use.

I've found that if I pull out on the bottom of my stick while I'm setting it, and I make sure all four points of contact are solid, it feels just as solid as my platform does. I've not tried a stick with the platform on top though, so that might be a little different.

What kind of standoffs are you planning on using on your stick? I personally use the EWO brackets and they seem very solid to me. But I use the mission platform and the stick is on the opposite side of the tree to move around. So far I've had no issues with stick movement.

That being said, I would NOT use a ratchet strap or OCB on the stick, either with or without the platform on top. On EWO's website, they specifically say their brackets are not to be used with a ratchet strap or on a platform that uses a cam-over action. I remember reading a thread on here about the ultralight brackets bending after repeated normal use.

I've found that if I pull out on the bottom of my stick while I'm setting it, and I make sure all four points of contact are solid, it feels just as solid as my platform does. I've not tried a stick with the platform on top though, so that might be a little different.

This is good information I did not consider flexing the stand-off. I currently have hallk helium minis and lone wolf sticks. But I will likely purchase an EWO 12-15” one stick.

Just trying to decide if I should purchase a stick with normal double steps or a larger platform like the UP on top. If the stick moves more than my predator I’d probably prefer to just pack the predator, and save weight and cost on the stick with just a double step on top.

I've had a handful of one-sticks and an 18" stick with a flat Scout is definitely my favorite!

I built a stick from an old lone wolf stick cut to 12", EWO stand-off, EWO double step on the bottom and an EWO UP platform on the top of the stick. That thing is rock solid. I have gone completely around the back side of the tree, pushing against the stick, and it never moves. I can't get that thing to move with anything I have tried. Matter of fact, it's kinda hard to get it released at the end of the hunt.

I’m using an EWO one stick with an angled Monarch platform, secured to the tree with a cam cleat and 7mm Sterling accessory cord. Yes, I can get a little flex out of it. But I could get a little flex out of my Predator platform with the stock cam strap, too. If you set either one well enough, they’re both solid and sturdy. For a while I went round and round in my mind on a secondary tie-down for the one stick, but ultimately I decided if I trust the cam principle on the Predator, why not one the one stick? Not to mention I’m trusting the cam cleat while one sticking up in the dark, which is frankly far more dangerous and involving much more motion than my final set and stand when hunting. As always, be slow and deliberate enough in setting your equipment to achieve a sturdy and safe bite and practice safe rope location above you.

Back