• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Aider step help please

backstrap19

OK, I am building a 2 step aider, and it is "ladder" style, meaning all of the steps are in line with each other. the steps aren't offset to the sides like some 5 step aiders. I am making it of tubular webbing, and I am using a speedy stitcher. My question is this.......how can i keep the middle step "spread open" while standing in the bottom step? once weight is applied to the bottom step, it wants to pull the rest of the aider shut. i know i must be explaning this poorly. I guess i'm looking for pics or ideas on how you folks have made a spreader, or I was thinking of making the middle step solid somehow. I have an idea that I used in the past on the "7 ft wild edge climb" thread, but I was looking for new and improved ideas from all of you DIY experts out there. any help would be appreciated.

OK, I am building a 2 step aider, and it is "ladder" style, meaning all of the steps are in line with each other. the steps aren't offset to the sides like some 5 step aiders. I am making it of tubular webbing, and I am using a speedy stitcher. My question is this.......how can i keep the middle step "spread open" while standing in the bottom step? once weight is applied to the bottom step, it wants to pull the rest of the aider shut. i know i must be explaning this poorly. I guess i'm looking for pics or ideas on how you folks have made a spreader, or I was thinking of making the middle step solid somehow. I have an idea that I used in the past on the "7 ft wild edge climb" thread, but I was looking for new and improved ideas from all of you DIY experts out there. any help would be appreciated.
You could put a piece of stiff coated cable in the middle step (make sure there aren't any sharp edges). Just stitch it in after you slide it into the webbing channel. It will still close some but you should be able to get a boot into it!

Im no aider expert by any means but I understood what you were saying. I dont know how you would be able to keep the 2nd step separated with weight on the bottom step without using some type of metal tube though. I guess thats why they came up with steps to the side.

Following this. Im curious myself.

If I’m imagining it correctly, Use a piece of plastic hanger and tape it to webbing. Then cobra weave 550 cord around the rod and webbing.

This video is for a two step that is off to the side but he shows how he uses 550 to help with your issue. I did that and still found it wasn’t strong enough. I think the plastic stick under the cord should help support?

Check this thread out you can modify from there. I added some rubber tube to keep it open

I use 1/2” white pex straight pipe and wrap that with camo tape. Works well for me. Just the right amount of rigidity.

fac1df7781d7aa3ec12487074a0f7a3c.jpg

Or you could just tie two separate loops,that's what it did. One short one long for a two step aider made out of 1" webbing.
Mine are tied to the platform,so that helps keeping them open,separate tie in points.

Or you could just tie two separate loops,that's what it did. One short one long for a two step aider made out of 1" webbing.
Mine are tied to the platform,so that helps keeping them open,separate tie in points.

Agreed that separate tie in points help keep the steps open.

I just took 2 more pieces of webbing that were bright orange and put stitched them in where the steps are, they can be folded for transport and are stiff enough to stay open

Since it's tubular webbing, slide a cut rope in there. It doesn't take much, just so you can get the toe of your boot or shoe in there. Once you put pressure down, it'll open.

WOW!!! the ideas are flowing!! Thank you for the fantastic ideas. @stevethebreeze @Zellersta @drew13 @Bowmanmike , and others, THANK YOU. I am really curious about the pex pipe. did you slit it and slide it over, or put the webbing through the pipe before you sew it? i also am probably going to try the paracord and plastic hanger, as well as investigate the kayak handle. i'm loving these ideas. thanks again guys!

I am really curious about the pex pipe. did you slit it and slide it over, or put the webbing through the pipe before you sew it?!

I fed the webbing through the pex before sewing it all together.

As you’ve seen from the different ideas, there’s more than one way to make this work for you....

I just got back from the hardware store with 1/2 inch pex, and 1/2 inch schedule 40. i'm going to play around with inside and outside the webbing and sew up a few test ideas. there sure are a LOT of great ideas being thrown out there!

I used an old piece of garden hose which I split in half lengthwise.

It has to offset so the pressure is off the next step

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back