• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anybody figured out a way to lighten a Doyle's gear hoist

Rod Johnson

I love the hoist just wish it didn't weigh so much

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I've thought about it, but I think most of the weight is in the recoil spring. I doubt that switching cordage or nodding the housing would do anything. A shorter or thinner recoil spring would lead to issues with the auto-retraction.

There were easier ways for me to shave weight from my rig. The Doyle's is worth it because it works perfectly. I ran without it for a bit, and went back for the convenience factor.

I did add mine to my pack, instead of my saddle. The weight is felt less there, and it doesn't impact function.

I just checked one out on Amazon, for me, I'd rather spend a little time dealing with 550 cord than carry that thing around, and you have to use the string to pull it up anyway so it's just to help keep the cord from tangling right? I'm also not sure it would work for me because I don't typically climb with my pack, I typically pull up my pack and bow with one chunk of 550 cord that is looped through a biner on my rch. Probably not the best but it works for me. If I'm SRT climbing then I use the rope to pull up my pack and the 550 cord that's already in the tree to pull up my bow.

I'm another guy that thinks it's totally worth the 12oz it weighs. I've tried 550 cord and others and nothing is as easy or convenient as the Doyles. Mine stays in my pack with the cord going through a hole in the bottom. When I get to the tree I reach back and grab the cord and hook it to my bow and i'm done. No cord to fiddle with or get tangled.

I recently moved mine to my pack, I put it on the left side waist belt. I'm going to look at putting it in a pocket and running it out the bottom. Now all I have on my saddle is one sys hauler with my knaider and swaider, and the strap that hangs my pack.

I'm another guy that thinks it's totally worth the 12oz it weighs. I've tried 550 cord and others and nothing is as easy or convenient as the Doyles. Mine stays in my pack with the cord going through a hole in the bottom. When I get to the tree I reach back and grab the cord and hook it to my bow and i'm done. No cord to fiddle with or get tangled.
Do you fasten it inside your pack, and has it ever gotten fouled by things in your pack.

To me it speaks great volumes that @Nutterbuster @flinginairos and @Ontariofarmer all agree the weight is worth it.... y’all probably just sold me on one I’ve never used one I use a hunter safety system hoist it’s small and compact but you have to hand crank it to retrieve it can get tangled bad sometimes and it’s probably just as much to keep up with as a ball of paracord.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me it speaks great volumes that @Nutterbuster @flinginairos and @Ontariofarmer all agree the weight is worth it.... y’all probably just sold me on one I’ve never used one I use a hunter safety system hoist it’s small and compact but you have to hand crank it to retrieve it can get tangled bad sometimes and it’s probably just as much to keep up with as a ball of paracord.

My Doyle's hasn't tangled yet. I have to say that thing is pretty damn good.

I totally agree it's worth it's weight in gold, just would like to lighten the load every where that I can

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

If @Nutterbuster will climb carbon bolts and @flinginairos gets in line for carbon kiwis And they both still carry the Doyle’s hoist the either both lost the nutterbustin minds or it’s worth the weight.

I do believe I’ve lost my mind long ago, but it’s definitely worth the weight to me lol. It comes down to one less thing to fiddle with when I get to the tree. At one point two years ago I decided it was too heavy and I was gonna use paracord. I got up the tree only to find the paracord wrapped around a limb and I couldn’t free it. Had to climb down and untangle it. I wasn’t a happy dude that day! Lol. Ever since then I’ve used the Doyle’s and never had it get hung up like that since it’s under constant tension. I do wish it was half the weight but it saves me time and aggravation so I’m not complaining too much.

Back