• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone Running a 4 Step Aider on Their One Stick?

2Sloe

SH Member
Currently running a 3 step aider, 15” spacing, on my EWO UOS but find myself having to lower my stick on the tree to reach that third step on the ground set and sometimes have difficulty getting my foot up into the third step on subsequent moves. Hate giving up ground and prefer to keep the 15” spacing. Thinking about moving to a 4 step aider and keeping the 15” spacing. Anyone running a 4 step aider on their stick? If so how do you like it and what cons have you ran across using that setup?

Im also running the 15 inch 3 step off my EWO. And almost immediately I wanted that 4th step. tied a piece of Amstel as a 4th step. Been climbing on it for 2 seasons now and love it. Only con maybe that it can get tangled a little easier, but it's pretty easy to manage and well worth it.

I'm running 3 15" steps too, and would also welcome that 4th step!

I'm running a 4 step DIY amsteel on my one stick and won't go back. 15" step spacing. I think it's the only way to go.

Im also running the 15 inch 3 step off my EWO. And almost immediately I wanted that 4th step. tied a piece of Amstel as a 4th step. Been climbing on it for 2 seasons now and love it. Only con maybe that it can get tangled a little easier, but it's pretty easy to manage and well worth it.
That sounds good. I’m currently using the sewn 3 step EWO, but I have an extra slotted double step and a 3 step ultimater laying around that I could order a 4th step for to add to it. May go that route until I figure out if I’m going to like it. Got a feeling that I will, especially with the feedback I’m getting here!

Are you all 8’ tall and able to utilize the 4th step?

I use a 3 step 16” spacing aider and can’t imagine another step being useful for me.

The more steps you add the more unstable it will be.
I don’t put my stick under my tether, I put it right up next to my tether girth hitch. I’m getting 7.5 - 8ft platform to platform on each move and right now the third step hits me in the knee when I’m climbing so that 4th step should be right at my foot and easy to get into, which gets the aider off the tree and makes it easier to hit the rest. I wouldn’t expect to get any height out of a fourth step after the ground set, the fourth step just makes it easier and in my mind, more stable than trying to step up on that third step like I do right now. I’d have to play with it and see how it works.

I put a 4 step 15” spacing on my one stick. I only use from the ground. With the cam cleat I can place it high enough where I can barely reach a 3 step with similar spacing. So it allows me to maximize my first stick set. All my moves after that I only need the 3 step, but the forth allows for zero reach, it’s just right there where your foot is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't have to use the 4th step, but it's there if you want it too. Sometimes I only use 2, sometimes 4 would be awesome. Depends on the tree, the weather, what pants/layers I have on...

I use a 3 step from CGM on an x-wing or timber ninjas, I haven't noticed any stability issues unless I'm trying to climb a really crooked tree. That's going up or down

I don’t put my stick under my tether, I put it right up next to my tether girth hitch. I’m getting 7.5 - 8ft platform to platform on each move and right now the third step hits me in the knee when I’m climbing so that 4th step should be right at my foot and easy to get into, which gets the aider off the tree and makes it easier to hit the rest. I wouldn’t expect to get any height out of a fourth step after the ground set, the fourth step just makes it easier and in my mind, more stable than trying to step up on that third step like I do right now. I’d have to play with it and see how it works.
Are you just talking about your first climb up onto your one stick? I use a three step Ultimaider on my modded muddy “Frankenstick” which uses an EWO LP up top and ULS on the bottom and after my first climb up my third step becomes of no use to me because I can’t reach how far below it hangs from me when I’m pitched off the side just hanging off my tether. I may have to try setting my stick height at the tether level though.

I’m talking about subsequent moves after the ground set. If you put your stick up by your tether you will get height out of that third step. My third step falls at my knee. It takes some getting used to because you have to flip your rope up near your tether girth hitch and then pass your stick rope under your tether. You also have to move your tether up while you are on your aider, which you should be doing no matter how you do it. It’s a little bit of a juggling act at first, but once you get used to it, it’s easy. I‘m also climbing from the side and I don‘t have to push off the tree to put my stick under my tether…so less exertion and less sweat as well. I like it because I only have to do the ground set then 2 moves.
DAA7F4BC-9F9B-497F-8706-481EAD797642.jpeg

I switched from 3 step aider to 2 and won't go back!

The picture above is how I set my stick too, but a little further to the left. That keeps my tether more out from under my platform, feet, and knees when climbing back up the stick again...

I always think I'm leaving height on the table each move if I don't put my next stick/platform on up as close as possible to my tether

Are you just talking about your first climb up onto your one stick? I use a three step Ultimaider on my modded muddy “Frankenstick” which uses an EWO LP up top and ULS on the bottom and after my first climb up my third step becomes of no use to me because I can’t reach how far below it hangs from me when I’m pitched off the side just hanging off my tether. I may have to try setting my stick height at the tether level though.

How you liking the LP?

That is correct, you would be.
So then it seems logical to me to try adding another step to my aider, it should help get milk every inch per move possible and it's cheaper, lighter than most sticks and more packable. Seems like a winning idea on paper

I always think I'm leaving height on the table each move if I don't put my next stick/platform on up as close as possible to my tether
Couple of things IMO. You lose height putting your stick under the tether, It’s less exertion once you get used to it, I also think it quieter since I don’t have to push off the tree and jam my stick under the tether. If you run a long bridge, you naturally have a shorter tether, which makes it more difficult to put your stick under the tether. Those things are why I made the switch.

How you liking the LP?
I like it a lot. It still gives me enough foot room and I can pretty much shoot around a basketball sized tree with a lengthened tether. I like and still use the original UP platform but I didn't use it once this season. I like the smaller LP coupled with the ULS for a one stick set up.

I like it a lot. It still gives me enough foot room and I can pretty much shoot around a basketball sized tree with a lengthened tether. I like and still use the original UP platform but I didn't use it once this season. I like the smaller LP coupled with the ULS for a one stick set up.

Kinda the same for me...
After a bunch of time on the U.P. and a flat Scout I ended up liking the Scout more.

Back