• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone Shoot 600+ Arrow Weight?

BowhunterXC

My setup is with an Elite Ritual 30, that's 57# at a 29" DL.
I use Gold Tip Hunter XT 300 spine, at 27", 100 gr. brass insert, 150 gr. tip weight and 3" feathers.
TAW 525 and a 22% FOC. I have perfect arrow flight out to 50 yards with all fixed blade broadheads. My broadhead preference is cut-on-contact fixed blade and usually single bevel or 4 blade double bevel.

I've given some thought to building a heavier arrow. Something in the 650+ range, but just for hunting. :)

Does anyone here, hunt with a 600+ grain arrow weight?

I did for several years and had great results with my 60# compound. I have gone to a 580 grain since I use that arrow in both the 60# and my 44# Mathews bows. Both bows shoot that same arrow like a dart so it makes my life easy. I'm shooting smaller Southern deer and they are not as big as some.

My current set up is a 340 spine Easton 6.5 with a 155 single bevel Grizzly on a 100 grain steel insert. I drove that through a buck a little over a week ago with a quartering to shot through the scapula out behind the shoulder with my 44# bow at about 16 yards. The buck went about 40 yards and crashed.

I still use 650 to 670 grain arrows with my longbow, both wood and carbon.

My old arrow setup was round 675. Buck I shot two years ago (didn’t hunt much last year) with kudu single bevel my processor thought I shot him with a rifle. Blew through both shoulders breaking and splintering them, blew the far side shoulder out of the socket, sheering the ball off the leg bone in the process. Kinda felt sorry for the poor guy, he went to jump up like deer do and discovered his front legs no longer functioned. He wasn’t very large, maybe 110 lbs so that mighta added to the devastation. I was sold from that point on.
My current is about 575 for my crossbow. Shot a 170lb buck with an exodus tipped arrow, he was hard quartering away. Entered just behind left shoulder, clipped left lung then right, bounced off the inside of far scapula and traveled up the neck severing 4 vertebrae in the process. He ran like 40 yards and dropped like a sack of potatoes I think he was dead before he hit the ground, blood was spraying outta him like a fountain. Processor hasn’t ever seen the like before. I’m sold on exodus now.

Last edited:
My old arrow setup was round 675. Buck I shot two years ago (didn’t hunt much last year) with kudu single bevel my processor thought I shot him with a rifle. Blew through both shoulders breaking and splintering them, blew the far side shoulder out of the socket, sheering the ball off the leg bone in the process. Kinda felt sorry for the poor guy, he went to jump up like deer do and discovered his front legs no longer functioned. He wasn’t very large, maybe 110 lbs so that mighta added to the devastation. I was sold from that point on.
My current is about 575 for my crossbow. Shot a 170lb buck with an exodus tipped arrow, he was hard quartering away. Entered just behind left shoulder, clipped left lung then right, bounced off the inside of far scapula and traveled up the neck severing 4 vertebrae in the process. He ran like 40 yards and dropped like a sack of potatoes I think he was dead before he hit the ground, blow was spraying outta him like a fountain. Processor hasn’t ever seen the like before. I’m sold on exodus now.
Blow was spraying out of him… sorry when I read that I thought of cocaine. Haha sorry man just made my day

Last edited:
This one went through a big boar hog in 2019 and literally nailed him to the tree. He lunged 3 times and finally snapped the shaft off and disappeared into a thicket. I searched on hands and knees in a briar thicket with a 44 in hand until I recognized that I might not want to run into him in that maze. I backed out. I never did find him. I came back to the spot three months later and chiseled out the broadhead. Sorry for the picture quality.

Attachments

• Single bevel grizzly in white oak.jpg
    Single bevel grizzly in white oak.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 21
750gr here. 31” Sirius Apollo 250 with 100gr half jacket system and 200gr Abowyer SB, lighted nock, 3 Super Saber vanes. Elite Remedy 62#. I am completely happy with what it does and since I have yet to even look at anything over 20yards i have only tuned to 30. Here is the exit of the buck I shot this year Was qtr away so I split the 2nd to last rib and came out the offside should as you can see , 17yrd shot ran 20 yards dropped dead

IMG_2736.jpegIMG_2737.jpeg

Last edited:
750gr here. 31” Sirius Apollo 250 with 100gr half jacket system and 200gr Abowyer SB, lighted nock, 3 Super Saber vanes. Elite Remedy 62#. I am completely happy with what it does and since I have yet to even look at anything over 20yards i have only tuned to 30. Here is the exit of the buck I shot this year Was qtr away so I split the 2nd to last rib and came out the offside should as you can see , 17yrd shot ran 20 yards dropped dead

View attachment 95264View attachment 95265
Damnit! I was the heaviest until you posted. Time to screw a 175gr head on :)

Back