• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Are lone wolf sticks worth the money?

catman529

Looking at different sticks online and I think a 3 piece lone wolf sticks look the best to me. I could add some webbing to the bottom stick to gain a little height as well. They aren’t cheap, but I’m thinking about it. Are they worth it, and does anyone have a set they would sell me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’d look into double step designs when using and aider the pack better with the same hunting height. Diy double step sticks are hard to beat, cheap, light and easy to construct with simple tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like my lone wolf sticks, but the double step design is appealing. You may be able to get a great deal on some used sticks in the classifieds or Craigslist.

Sorry I’m still pretty clueless to saddle hunting, I haven’t done my homework...for normal treestand hunting I have nothing against the single step design. So I figured it would work fine for saddle hunting as well.

Look at the Nine Fingers Chronicles podcast on The Sportsman’s Nation podcast network...they get you a $50 off code, so I got 4 sticks direct from Lone Wolf for $150 plus shipping.

I think they are worth the money but I also have a set I don’t use. They are well made but my son will not climb them. I don’t know if it’s the single steps or the spacing I’m going to try the helium’s and would like to sell the lone wolf. They have only been on 4 trees. If you haven’t got any and still want them by Tuesday let me know. I will check on what it would cost to ship and then give you a price. I’m afraid the shipping will make it a bad deal for both of us.

Look at the Nine Fingers Chronicles podcast on The Sportsman’s Nation podcast network...they get you a $50 off code, so I got 4 sticks direct from Lone Wolf for $150 plus shipping.

Thanks

When I got mine LW were best sticks on the market. Now there are more alternatives to choose from. I'd suggest also looking at Hawk Heliums and Muddy. Both feature double steps.

When I got mine LW were best sticks on the market. Now there are more alternatives to choose from. I'd suggest also looking at Hawk Heliums and Muddy. Both feature double steps.

I’ve looked at the hawks, they look good but a little bulky. I’m looking for something compact and quiet, I’m a smaller guy so I don’t need a big comfy climbing stick to get it done

I like mine a lot, I actually added my own double step to mine as well as some other mods but I ended up going back to the folding steps because I liked how much more low profile they were with the steps folded more than the benefit of the double step. There are some other good options out there but lone wolf definitely makes a quality stick.

I think the Hawk and LW weigh about the same. I like the LW strap setup a little better but would rather have the Hawk's double step. Given a do-over, I'd probably buy the Hawks and maybe try to come up with different straps. I think you will be pleased with the LW if that's what you decide upon. They are a top quality product.

Looking at different sticks online and I think a 3 piece lone wolf sticks look the best to me. I could add some webbing to the bottom stick to gain a little height as well. They aren’t cheap, but I’m thinking about it. Are they worth it, and does anyone have a set they would sell me?

Catman, nice to see you on the forum. I've been following your YouTube channel, keep up the good work!

I've been very pleased with my Lone Wolf sticks. I have a set in Hawaii and NC. I typically use a fixed aider. It's just a simple added piece of 1" nylon tubular; the loop hangs about 24"s below the bottom step on my stick. These get you much higher with the first stick and works excellent for hanging trail cameras. I get can easily get my cameras 10'+ with one stick and a single aider.

My plan in 2018 is to use a simple loop of 1" tubular that isn't connected and can be used with each step by placing it on top of the step. Just like my fixed aider, this loop will hang ~24 inches below my bottom step. This allows me to get around 18-20' with 3 LW sticks and well over 25' with 4 sticks.

With that said, I have not used this method (or any method) with a saddle. Can't imagine the climbing method needs to be any different than my hang on though.

I like mine a lot, I actually added my own double step to mine as well as some other mods but I ended up going back to the folding steps because I liked how much more low profile they were with the steps folded more than the benefit of the double step. There are some other good options out there but lone wolf definitely makes a quality stick.

Good to hear this. I was thinking the compact design of the single step would outweigh the comfort of the double step. I’ve sat some long hours in some uncomfortable stands and while I do enjoy some comfort, I also like something easy to carry to the tree.

Good to hear this. I was thinking the compact design of the single step would outweigh the comfort of the double step. I’ve sat some long hours in some uncomfortable stands and while I do enjoy some comfort, I also like something easy to carry to the tree.

Everybody has there own style and preference I just really like to have things compact with as least amount of stuff to get hung up in brush and that why I went that direction, I also cut my sticks down to 25” and I really liked that but I used them full length with out any complaints too.

I

Have 4 lonewolf sticks and used them for years and love them. Just bought the hilium sticks and the double steps are nice I did change the straps out with a lonewolf straps and versa buttons. Cabela's has the Hawk helium stick for $ 99.00 for 3.

Back