• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Are you afraid of heights? (POLL)

Would you say you are afraid of heights in normal situations

• Yes

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • No

Votes: 65 47.8%
  • Somewhat

Votes: 39 28.7%

• Total voters

Jay_Disarray

SH Member
I've noticed quite a few saddle hunters ive had conversations with casually mention being a bit afraid of heights, yet saddle hunt. Including myself

Makes me curious what percentage of saddle hunters are actually afraid of heights, are you?

Count me in the skerd camp, especially things like ladders or stairs on the outside of buildings. But for whatever reason one sticking and rappelling doesn’t bother me. Neither did hanging out of choppers or off the side of a ship. Go figure. I think it’s being clipped to something that calms my lizard brain

I am not afraid of heights at all. Its falling from any height that bothers me.
I remodeled a kitchen and was loading up some demo cabinets and took a wrong step off the side of the trailer and landed on my left side in the driveway, hard. I'm sure I broke some ribs and bruised hip etc. Took weeks to be able to take a deep breath. And that was only 4 or 5 foot high. 15 or 20 feet i don't want to play with. Being tethered in does make all the difference.

I agree with most ..no fear, but a healthy respect. Have done my fair share of sketchy things during my time in construction. Just remember that it never the fall that hurts, it's the sudden stop at the end. The older I get the more I tend to think things through a little more! When I was younger though......

I’m not afraid of heights but I’m afraid of falling from said heights. I’m in easy even in ladder stands. When I was climbing up 20’ with sticks I was rather shaky especially going down. I switched to one sticking and now I go 30 feet no problem. No fear with it at all it’s weird I guess I just feel more in control and much safer hanging on a tether the whole time

I voted somewhat. In the saddle or tree stands or climbers etc. that doesn't bother me at all, working on roofs and ladders don't bother me much either but I don't like climbing ladders others put out. I have to do it myself to feel better. Am I one of those that would go base jump in a heart beat? No way. But do I clean my gutters and do some roof work? Yes. But not on a 12:12 pitch!!

Last edited:
I hate working on ladders. And I don't like climbing very high on a tree with artificial means. Now if I'm climbing the tree by its branches, I can go all the way up.
When I worked in Detroit, I used to take my breaks on the roof of the hospital. I would stand a foot or so from the edge and look down the 10-story drop to the ground with no issue.
Sometimes it bothers me and sometimes it don't.

I'm a lot more comfortable on a ladder or a roof or scaffolding. I'm pretty sure it's the tree swaying that gets me. 20 feet is alright if I'm solid up there but when my tree starts swaying I'm getting a LOT less comfortable!

Back