• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Back Pain

Aeds151

So I have used my XL Mantis quite a bit now. Every weekend since Sept 22. 3-4 days per week 4-10 hours a sit and I experience back pain after a few hours. I use the Tethrd Recliner every time. Up high, down low, every which way. I am constantly moving to adjust it to get comfortable. This is the same with the ropeman from my tether to my longer modded amsteel bridge. Does anyone else experience this discomfort and/or have advice. I would like to be able to sit still again. I am 6’5” so it might just be a tall guy thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m only 5’6” 150 lbs and I have the same problem. Right at about 3 hours I really start to struggle. The bottom line is, your back muscles just never get a break. What I begin doing is I will stand up on my steps and wrap my arms around the tree. Just standing straight up is a huge relief. Then I can last a little longer.

That’s all I’ve got.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ya. I am really thinking this saddle thing is just not comfortable. I was gonna hunt today but my lower back is tight from saddle sitting yesterday. At this point, I feel that my only two options are to sell the Mantis and try a Kestrel, (doubt it will be any different?) or just sell the mantis and all of the little pieces of gear you have to carry and go back to my Summit Titan. Its a little heavier to carry for the 10-30 minute hike, but can be comfortable for 12 hours.

saddle hunting may not be for everybody but before you give up you may want to try a sit drag, fleece saddle or another saddle. I have a kestrel and iam very happy with. good luck

You may want to try a JX3 Hybrid saddle or you could look in the want ads for a Guido's Web. The Web is very comfortable and easy on your back. The JX3 looks like it would be just as comfortable.

I do have a rock harness I got for my climber and sit drag setup while I was waiting on the Mantis. I think I will try them out but I cant see it being any better on the back since a saddle doesnt provide any real support. I do hope I can figure it out. It has been fun to play with the saddle setup and I have a lot of time and money invested in this style, so I would love to keep it my go to system.

Can anyone link me to a comparison between the Mantis and Kestrel? I mean a real review/comparison where peoples feelings are not spared when it comes to comfort and ease of use information and not just weight and length and bridge type.

I have been researching the jx3. It looks nice but with no idea of a ship/delivery date, I refuse to go down the path of guessing when the product will ship...

I think what I’m going to do is, when I know I’m going to be sitting for near 3 hours I’m just going to bring my fleece saddle with me. I’ll just slip it under my Mantis and that will give me a chance to relax when I want/need to. I won’t be anything to carry it with me and will be a quick and easy way to take the load off every now and then.

I have no doubt that those who are having a problem with your back, it’s just because the muscles of your back are getting fatigued and there’s not way to give them a break. This will do it.

What is different about the fleece saddle? Is it because there is more surface area of material?

Oh man it’s like you’re sitting in a beanbag chair! Picture what that’s like. I can literally pull the bottom of it down to my knees and the top side of it up to my head and my butt is sunken down into it just like a beanbag. You could sleep in it with no problem. Then if you want to be ready to shoot you can just scrunch it more together so it just covers from your butt to low back or under arms.

I wish I had a pic of me in it when I’m kicked back relaxing.

I recently sold my Kestrel because I was so much more comfortable in my fleece saddles. I have considered trying a mantis or a hybrid but, I have about $30 in 6 different fleece saddles and I can't get myself to spend the money on something I know won't be anymore comfortable.

Try a lower hookup and lean instead of sitting in it. I'm 6'2(was 6'3 in my prime lol) and my tether is chin to forehead height and my lower back is way more comfortable than sitting on a normal stand. I lean like I'm resting on edge of a counter. I also stand on my platform as someone mentioned tp totally eliminate your back from trying to stabilize your upper body. I dont mess with back rests, I'm not leaning way back. Also I'm in a diy saddle....might be making leaning easier as I can position the lean support exactly where I want it.

I am using a kestrel this year. I have done 12 8 hour sits. Once you find the rock chair comfort, your in the zone. I have already fallen asleep a couple of times in this saddle.

I am 6'2" and 300 lbs. First year saddle hunting. I am still getting used to this new style of hunting but one thing to try is an adjustable bridge. I put a prusik on one side. I saw @DIY Sportsman do this so he could flip the bridge over his neck while hiking in. I can change the length and that seems to help. The other thing to try is slide the saddle down a little. That seemed to take the pressure off my back and put it more on my hips and butt. More like sitting in a chair.

My biggest complaint so far is my feet. I have been using a ring of steps and it's just not comfortable. My preaditor platform just came in. Tomorrow morning will be my first hunt with it. Hopefully that makes a big difference.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ya I Move the leg straps from the waist belt loop down to the loop that is pointing downward for sitting. Then I pull the saddle down for more of a cupping action and cinch the leg straps tight just above my knees. This is the only way I can get comfortable below the waist. This has to be done several times as the saddle just keeps riding up. This has no effect on back comfort for me.

Tried a fleece saddle with my RCH today. Just listed all of my Tethrd gear in classifieds. Hahaha

Yeah it can be really comfortable. I’m going to try it with my saddle. I think that will be even more comfortable that with my RCH.

Tried a fleece saddle with my RCH today. Just listed all of my Tethrd gear in classifieds. Hahaha

Haha. In my opinion it's the most comfortable saddle option. Little more fiddle factor but, it's the only type of saddle I can sit daylight to dark in.

You got that right. In the Mantis, Im too fidgety ALL day. I think I can correlate that with why I have seen less deer from tree this season with more time spent in tree. I did kill an 8 from it but not a mature buck. Where I hunt is thick and you dont know they are there until they are 20-30yrds. Its imperative that I sit still. I ran the fleece saddle last night and was able to nap for the first time in a saddle. Woke up and called in a buck. No shot though

Back