• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bent wild edge step

jmmiller41385

Anybody ever bent one of the legs of a wild edge step? I went to put my steps back in the bag and one leg on one step was a fuzz bent in and didn't nest properly. I imagine it happened when I had the rope too tight and tried to cam it before loosening the rope and trying again. Should have used my noggin and not tried to force the step. For now I put it at the top of the bag so it would be close to the ground and I'll mark it with a sharpie to make sure it doesn't end up high on a climb. Should I bother to bend it back or leave it as is? Kinda thinking i'll leave it as is to not weaken the step anymore. Anybody had this experience? Thanks for any input.

The WE boys have a video about that.. they are meant to be able to flex, you should be able to use your hands and some pressure and re-bend back straighter.

The video shows how to straighten it. You can do it on the hitch on a truck. It works great.

Do you know the name of the video? I searched straightening a wild edge step and bent wild edge step. Nothing came up specifically called that. Thanks for the input.

Everyone that has used them for any amount of time has bent them. Mostly when learning. Just bend them back it’s easy. Just bend them til all the v’s and legs line up again when laid out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The secret to not bending them is to make sure that both legs are pressed against the tree before you cam it over. It is when one leg is not touching that the other leg bends. It is an amazing amount force the camming action puts on the legs. I used a large vice to straighten it back out. No issues though now that I know the root cause of the issue.

Pete

i wonder if they tested how many times you can bend them and bend them back before they fail?

The secret to not bending them is to make sure that both legs are pressed against the tree before you cam it over. It is when one leg is not touching that the other leg bends. It is an amazing amount force the camming action puts on the legs. I used a large vice to straighten it back out. No issues though now that I know the root cause of the issue.

Pete
[/QUOTE
I get that just wondering how far to bend them back

For me the secret not to bending them is to make sure the rope is routed correctly under the leg. :D

All of them that I have bent were from user error having the rope routed wrong. I still do it occasionally but now I recognize that when it doesn't want to cam over I probably have the rope oriented wrong.

Probably. But how many people have you heard say they had a wild edge step break? Everyone bends them. Probably daily. Not saying it can't happen. But if it hasn't happened yet it must take a whole lot.
All it takes is one to break after being bent back in a trailer hitch a couple times and Wild Edge will get sued into oblivion, especially with answers from a representative of the company along the lines of you can bend it back "a whole lot". I get that redneck field engineering in the Army is the norm, however, in consumer America, if someone gets hurt because of a failure and you don't have good data......I thought the question was a good one.

Last edited:
All it takes is one to break after being bent back in a trailer hitch a couple times and Wild Edge will get sued into oblivion, especially with answers from a representative of the company along the lines of you can bend it back "a whole lot". I get that redneck field engineering in the Army is the norm, however, in consumer America, if someone gets hurt because of a failure and you don't have good data......I thought the question was a good one.

Lol well us lowly individuals in the Army will just continue our "redneck engineering" and crawl back into our holes. This site has had more than a few anti military jabs and comments over the last year and I'm beginning to question why I even frequent this site . What a closed minded comment. And as a representative of the company I do 100 percent stand behind the product and know the strength of it. A multitude test have been done and wild edge has all of its bases covered both for the consumer and the company. Thanks for you concern.

Lol well us lowly individuals in the Army will just continue our "redneck engineering" and crawl back into our holes. This site has had more than a few anti military jabs and comments over the last year and I'm beginning to question why I even frequent this site . What a closed minded comment. And as a representative of the company I do 100 percent stand behind the product and know the strength of it. A multitude test have been done and wild edge has all of its bases covered both for the consumer and the company. Thanks for you concern.
Bro, you mis-interpreted. I spent 7 years active duty Navy, with 3 combat tours in the early 90s. I never said "lowly individual". Nothing wrong with redneck field engineering. However, in the civilian world, if something fails, you better have some data.

Back