• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best all around knee pads for saddle hunting.

DMTJAGER

Is there one set of knee pads for saddle hunting that out performs all others?
Amazingly enough after 30+ years in construction and heavy industry I don't have any actual knee problems per say and I have never actually suffered a direct knee injury, but I absolutely can not kneel on my left knee on concrete or my homes hardwood floors so I'm thinking kneeling against a tree for hours on end might get to be a bit uncomphy.

Am I safe to assume I want a soft faced knee pad (VS hard) for reasons of noise reduction/elimination?

Last edited:
Did a search here on "KNEE PADS" seems there is not much of a consensus outside of Arctex. But will definitely give recommendations a look.

I am wearing Crye Precision pants that have integrated knee pads built into the knee area of the pants. You can leave the knee pads in or take them out whenever you want. Additionally, there is a piece of material that you can put over the knee pad itself to reduce sound. They make them in multiple camo patterns and you can find other companies copying the Crye idea for cheaper. They may be a little on the expensive side so don’t get surprised when you see the price. But they are very well made. Hundreds of SEALs and Rangers and SF guys have been wearing them around the world for years.

Just an idea for you. They also work really well on construction and demo sites too and they make them in non camo colors as well.

Here is a link to a copy of the actual Crye pants. There is a pocket right above the knee pads that has shock cord in it which allows you to adjust the knee pad to exactly where you need it when you bend your knees which is nice also. I wear Crye because it is an American company, but I also know that makes price tags higher for people and Crye is very proud of their name like Surefire flashlights or Hoyt bows. Either way, this is another option saddle hunters can use. I also got rid of the Velcro on the cargo pockets and replaced with rare earth magnets for total silent opening to get items in the cargo pockets. You can do buttons too.

Last edited:
Trophy line knee pads are reasonable price and works pretty good. You can get high dollars ones but I feel there no difference unless you get ones with hard plastic shells. I have used cheap HF ones thats rubberized foam that works. But my trophy lines goes in the woods with me for every sit. I only use one tho because I always end up with one knee on tree

You are just getting started in the game. I was in your boat recently. I have SO SO SO much crap that I will never use, but can't sell, just because maybe. I bought the trophyline knee pads and a generic pair of Arctex. The trophylines go into the woods everytime.
With that being said, I have not even out them on the past 3 hunts. I prefer to hunt as a leaner.
I mentioned you being new to the game, because you are not sure of your saddle hunting style yet. I wish I had figured out a style before I went crazy and spent WAY too much money. When I was hunting out of my climber, I never took the seat, I stood all day.

I have a SRT, one stick, multiple stick, rappelling set up, 3 different pairs of knee pads and ROS set ups all sitting in boxes. My preferred method: bolts, mission platform, lean all day.

You are just getting started in the game. I was in your boat recently. I have SO SO SO much crap that I will never use, but can't sell, just because maybe. I bought the trophyline knee pads and a generic pair of Arctex. The trophylines go into the woods everytime.
With that being said, I have not even out them on the past 3 hunts. I prefer to hunt as a leaner.
I mentioned you being new to the game, because you are not sure of your saddle hunting style yet. I wish I had figured out a style before I went crazy and spent WAY too much money. When I was hunting out of my climber, I never took the seat, I stood all day.

I have a SRT, one stick, multiple stick, rappelling set up, 3 different pairs of knee pads and ROS set ups all sitting in boxes. My preferred method: bolts, mission platform, lean all day.

This is me. This is my first year. I bought the Arctex. I found them to be loud and bulky. Then I bought the Trophylines. I found them much better, but my preference is to put them on at the truck and wear them in. When I did that they caught on vegetation and made noise. I then went to an inexpensive soccer knee pad. It has worked fine for me so far. Note though; my sits are about 2 1/2 hours. I do not do all day sits. And these may or may not have to be replaced sooner.

Good luck and have fun.
Mitchell

I have SO SO SO much crap that I will never use, but can't sell, just because maybe.
My good fellow we truly are indentured oarsmen serving on the same ship. Or as my friends always tell me: "Art you have a 2400sq' house but own 4ksq' of equipment"
I worked for 24 years as a heavy industrial electrician and then for last 10 as a maintenance electrician also in heavy industry and the main reason above all others I have essentially no knee issues is I absolutely will not even consider working while on my knees without very good, high quality knee pads. So I know a thing or two about knee pads especially designs that stay in place well and ones that do not. I have searched all over the internet and are looking for and considering designs that have a fabric front and clip on VS Velcro. Actually I am quite surprised at the huge number of knee pad types and designs out there, it's making choosing one type a bit difficult.

I will look at the Trophyline pads as they also make the stand I am going to buy.
Again same you have learned from unnecessarily expensive previous hunting related endeavors so have I and while I am not trying to get into saddle hunting as cheaply as possible, as I feel doing so might compromise safety, I am most certainly trying to keep the costs as low as common scene allows for.

Don't know about outperforming the others as I've never used kneepads till recently. Picked up the Trophylines and they're perfect. Don't overthink kneepads.

I first bought the Arcteryx and then saw that Trophylines were cheaper and highly rated and so got those as well.

The Arcteryx are lighter and pack easier and are nicer to walk in. They work well if you mostly lean in the saddle and only sit periodically.

The Trophylines are much more comfortable because they are thicker and stick to the tree better and a bit more quietly. If I sat all the time, then I'd always carry them, especially if it was a longer hunt.

I almost always take the Arcteryx, especially when cold because I have clothes in my pack and need the space, I am mostly a leaner, and multiple pants layers hep the comfort.

Next early season, I'll probably try the Trophylines more. So, neither is better, they are different. The Arcteryx is the best at what it does and the Trophyline the best in different areas. You can't be the smallest/lightest and also the most comfortable in this type of product, so I'm glad I have both.

If you haven't figured out your hunting style, pack size, etc. then I'd buy some cheapo knee pads and figure that out before dropping serious coin, or just get both like I did.

For my style, if I could only have one pair, then it would be the Arcs no question. Plus the Arcs just have a cool factor for some reason. The thin section of kydex hopefully will hold up. I haven't heard anyone say it did not.

5.11 EXO. K Gel Knee Pad anyone use these by chance half the price of the Arcteryx.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just bought the 5.11 Exo K and tested them yesterday. They are a little bulky but the padding is very thick and comfy. The only thing I don’t like about them is that the knee cap molding directly is beveled and flat, intended for steadier kneeling on the ground. This meant when leaning straight into the tree the bevel keeps wanting to turn inward to be flat against the tree trunk. I can see that the round Arcteryx faces would better receive the round tree trunk. Overall the Exo Ks seem ver well made to last and I think I’ll like hunting with them. If that issue gets too annoying maybe I’ll try to sand down the sharp bevel edge a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I case anyone is considering- don’t buy the Amazon Emersongear knockoffs of Arcteryx LEAF knee pads. I got them because of a few favorable reviews by saddle hunters. The strap clips are cheap plastic, and the padding has no cushion at all. I tested them leaning into a huge lumber post in my basement and yes, they do provide separation from the trunk that alleviates pain from direct contact but they weren’t super comfortable. They articulate well and are lightweight but I’ll return them.

The new tethrd ones seem pretty sweet. Used them in the yard a few times I like them. I used trophyline and arcteryx in the past. They are a refined more heavily padded arcteryx with more curve so they stay in place and traction on the outer shell.

I case anyone is considering- don’t buy the Amazon Emersongear knockoffs of Arcteryx LEAF knee pads. I got them because of a few favorable reviews by saddle hunters. The strap clips are cheap plastic, and the padding has no cushion at all. I tested them leaning into a huge lumber post in my basement and yes, they do provide separation from the trunk that alleviates pain from direct contact but they weren’t super comfortable. They articulate well and are lightweight but I’ll return them.

It's kind of funny how your post saying don't buy them is exactly why I like them.

they do provide separation from the trunk that alleviates pain from direct contact but they weren’t super comfortable. They articulate well and are lightweight

This is all I need in n a knee pad. You are right they might not be the most comfortable but, I have used them for three years and have done several all day sits with them. They are comfortable enough to get by and are thin enough to slide in the front pouch of my pack, all of the other knee pads I have tried are too bulky for that. It's just a matter of priorities.

I’ve found that tying a cheap tree stand butt pad around the tree at knee height is most comfortable for me, far more so than the knee pads I’ve tried. Before you drop serious coin on knee pads, give that super cheap option a shot.

I agreed. I used knee pads all last year when saddle hunting. But next season I'm switching over to a butt pad after following another member's post. I hate wearing knee pads walking in or during the sit. But I actually found it pretty comfortable for ROS if you just hug the tree. John Eberhart was the one that advocated it once in his video and I found that it was fine not having knee pads for ROS and being closer to the tree.

But after a few practices, I found I like platform more than ROS, and moving to a shooting posture from tree hugging was not as smooth as I like using ROS, I preferred being able to shoot from sitting with knee against tree. You dont need something expensive, buy a piece of foam, cut it to your liking, add some paracord or straps and you'll be good.

Another option for the minimalist. I wear them under my pants. Pretty much can't even tell you have any on walking in. I switch from sitting and leaning so my knees get plenty of breaks.
365d760d5acdb35052619d19c3594623.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

[mention]GCTerpfan [/mention] Ha that’s true. I should’ve led with “I wouldn’t recommend.” Comfort is all subjective. Interesting that they’ve worked well for you.

You dont need something expensive, buy a piece of foam, cut it to your liking, add some paracord or straps and you'll be good.
I’m with you, can’t stand wearing knee pads. May change my mind, but I’m going to start with this one with some paracord and a Cam Jam XL. Thick, dense and cheap.
20C299DB-0A6F-4943-9900-D193C411A531.jpeg

Last edited:
Back