• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bow Recommendation.

rrogers31

I'm a fairly new deer hunter and currently have a lower end crossbow I use during bow season. I'm looking at buying a compound bow and have no idea where to start. I hunt Alabama and we have a very long gun season, so I'll only primarily bow hunt for around a month each year. I don't need the Porche of bows but would just like something good and reliable. I've currently looked at some of the Bear RTH series bows but that's about it. Any recommendations?

As stated, go by feel. I’ve liked all the bears I’ve had and shot. I once bought an obsession and hated it… went back to bear.

The only one I have owned since the 90's is a Mathews HeliM. I really like it and you should be able to pick one up used. That's the only one I have experience with, and I will shoot it until the wheels fall off, lol.

Lower end Bear single cams tend to be very shoot-able, which is probably the most important thing to shop around for, IMO. Since you are new I'd look for a good shop in your area who has a place to shoot a few different bows to see if one stands out. If they have some used bows you may be able to save some money and get a good bow that way also.

If you're set on getting something new, do as the other guys have said and go shoot them. How they feel will tell you what to buy. Don't worry about brand just stay in your price range.

go with the bear until\if you decide you want something better. You could also go to an archery shop and shoot a few brands like the hoyts and mathews to see if you like them better and then just try to find one used for around the same price point.

If you're set on getting something new, do as the other guys have said and go shoot them. How they feel will tell you what to buy. Don't worry about brand just stay in your price range.
Yeah, don't shoot anything you don't wan to explain the price tag to your wife, some high end bows shoot really nicely, nice enough you may be tempted to overspend.

Yeah, don't shoot anything you don't wan to explain the price tag to your wife, some high end bows shoot really nicely, nice enough you may be tempted to overspend.

been there done that lol. loved my hoyt hyperforce...buddy of mine bought the mathews vxr when it released and bragged about how awesome it was so i went to a shop to shoot it and check it out....bought it that day....whoops

That is definitely part of the issue. I just finished my saddle set up and I duck hunt a lot. If anyone duck hunts, they know that's a money pit itself lol. I dont really see myself justifying a $1500 dollar matthews set up.

That is definitely part of the issue. I just finished my saddle set up and I duck hunt a lot. If anyone duck hunts, they know that's a money pit itself lol. I dont really see myself justifying a $1500 dollar matthews set up.
Like others have stated, I bought a $500 Bear Divergent and don't see me ever upgrading. It shoots like a charm. Shot through seven deer this yr set at 54#.

I've been hunting with my Bear cruzer G2 for 3 seasons now. It's not the most popular option (I'd likely buy a species now instead) but it's been a great bow and I'll be able to keep hunting with it forever or use it as a bow fishing bow or tune it way down and it'll be my kids first "real" bow.

I do have the upgrade itch now and then but that's more because I like the gear hobby than the bow letting me down and needing to be replaced.

consider a hickory creek mini. If pride is not an issue, and you don't have a specific desire to be an archer, but you want to kill deers.

Bear makes a good bow. If you have a cabelas or bass pro close to you look at their blackout line if you can’t find a bear as bear makes their bows. Bear are reliable and have been around a long time. They’re fairly simple which makes them easy to work on and most shops can get parts. Find a shop and shoot lots, every bow feels different and handles different, you might find an Athens or Martin(Mathews entry level) that speaks to you. Also, figure what features are most important to you. Speed? Accuracy? Smoothness? Deep valley/No valley? Let off? Etc.
My advice would be wait until after season if you can. Most shops will be swamped right now with repairs and last minute string changes and tuning and you might not get the time you need unless you’ve got a cool shop. Bow shopping is like car shopping, don’t be rushed.

Bear makes a good bow. If you have a cabelas or bass pro close to you look at their blackout line if you can’t find a bear as bear makes their bows. Bear are reliable and have been around a long time. They’re fairly simple which makes them easy to work on and most shops can get parts. Find a shop and shoot lots, every bow feels different and handles different, you might find an Athens or Martin(Mathews entry level) that speaks to you. Also, figure what features are most important to you. Speed? Accuracy? Smoothness? Deep valley/No valley? Let off? Etc.
My advice would be wait until after season if you can. Most shops will be swamped right now with repairs and last minute string changes and tuning and you might not get the time you need unless you’ve got a cool shop. Bow shopping is like car shopping, don’t be rushed.
Appreciate the advice. It will probably be an after season purchase.

Like stated above, Bear is the only bow i've shot. Get a Ready to Hunt (RTH) package and dont look back.

Just get familiar with whatever bow you get and PRACTICE! thats what kills deer...

I've shot a few different bows, keep going back to Bear, they make a good shootable bow at a decent price, cant argue with that.

edit:
some bows are also more complex to work on, IE some Elites require different mods on the cams at like $40 a piece to change your draw length.

Last edited:
Are you against used bow? Tons of good ones. I'm against ready to hunt bow package personally because a little time and effort, you can get the pieces for pretty good deals.

I'm not I just know very little about archery in general unlike firearms.

be aware that some bows may need the additional purchase of different draw length size cams\modules...draw weight as well...unless you buy one already in spec to match you....this isnt the end of the world, but if you do go used route, its good info to have and as mentioned right now most bow shops are slammed and you probably wont be able to get the parts\service you need.

Back