• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Buying my first saddle.

oregon guy

Im ready to incorporate a saddle into my tactics. I hunt areas some areas that i could benefit from getting up in the air. These areas are fairly open to completely open with travel routs through timber or stands of trees. Been hunting in Oregon all my life. Spot and stalk all from the ground. I am a certified rigger, climber and rescue/recovery for work but I'm used to full body harness and double lanyards with pelican hooks for towers and bridge super structures. I'm a average build 5'9" 170lbs with a 32" waist.. Most of my hunting will be in fairly warm late summer temps in Aug/Sep to late Oct/Nov. I dont plan on all day in the tree but i want a comfortable saddle. I have no way to test what fits me best because it's a nonexistent method out here. What are the best recommendations for brands to ponder for a saddle based on that? I do all my own rigging so rope,knots, carabiners, tethers/ lineman are accounted for. I would prefer made in the USA but not a deal breaker. Sorry for being so long winded. Thank you.

You aren’t long winded at all.
Majority of answers you will get

Cruzr
Tethrd
Latitude

Other options
Dryad
Wood Saddles (https://woodhuntingsaddles.com/)
Timber Ninja
Several more that I left out that others will list. The good news is all of them are going to work safely and securely.

Like running shoes, they all do the same thing and each has its own little bells and whistles. You can’t really go wrong with any of them.

I would look at the classifieds section here and buy a used one. Save some money that way and you can always catch and release it if you hate it.

Everyone here is very helpful and YouTube has several guys that do great reviews on saddle hunting products as well. Some are influencers but some aren’t. In the end, they will all do what you need them to do as will the sticks you choose or the climbing method rabbit hole you go down.

Ask away.

All good questions. Saddles fit everyone just a little different. So there is no perfect answer. All the good saddles are made in the USA.
Do you do a lot of walking? Is weight an issue? Trying to stay lite?
Would you sacrifice weight for comfort?
How far are you from @tailgunner ? He lives out in the big O. Careful. He will try to make you a 2TC.. but as an arborist I am sure you have plenty of ways.

Also check out Custom Gear Modification.
The cobra folds up compact if you walk a lot. Or even using a Dryad hammock with a harness you have. If you can silence it and keep thing out of the way shoot with it..

There are single panel saddles and double panel saddles. There are two types of hunters, those who primarily lean/stand and those who primarily sit. You can use the 80/20 rule as a reference. A single panel saddle is good for hunters who lean/stand 80% of the time while sit 20% of the time. A double panel saddle is good for hunters who like to sit 80% of the time while lean/stand 20% of the time.

Either you can choose the saddle type based on if you like to lean/stand or sit or the type of saddle you buy will choose for you. So, decide on what type of hunter you want to be and that will help you with getting the right type of saddle.

There are single panel saddles and double panel saddles. There are two types of hunters, those who primarily lean/stand and those who primarily sit. You can use the 80/20 rule as a reference. A single panel saddle is good for hunters who lean/stand 80% of the time while sit 20% of the time. A double panel saddle is good for hunters who like to sit 80% of the time while lean/stand 20% of the time.

Either you can choose the saddle type based on if you like to lean/stand or sit or the type of saddle you buy will choose for you. So, decide on what type of hunter you want to be and that will help you with getting the right type of saddle.
And here's where saddles are different. I feel the opposite. Every 2 panel I tried to sit in was un comfortable. Single panel for me for both positions with lots of adjustments.

Im ready to incorporate a saddle into my tactics. I hunt areas some areas that i could benefit from getting up in the air. These areas are fairly open to completely open with travel routs through timber or stands of trees. Been hunting in Oregon all my life. Spot and stalk all from the ground. I am a certified rigger, climber and rescue/recovery for work but I'm used to full body harness and double lanyards with pelican hooks for towers and bridge super structures. I'm a average build 5'9" 170lbs with a 32" waist.. Most of my hunting will be in fairly warm late summer temps in Aug/Sep to late Oct/Nov. I dont plan on all day in the tree but i want a comfortable saddle. I have no way to test what fits me best because it's a nonexistent method out here. What are the best recommendations for brands to ponder for a saddle based on that? I do all my own rigging so rope,knots, carabiners, tethers/ lineman are accounted for. I would prefer made in the USA but not a deal breaker. Sorry for being so long winded. Thank you.
Dude that’s not long winded at all. Welcome to your new obsession. You have another west coaster on here by the name of @tailgunner
Perhaps y’all are close enough to meet up and he can show ya the ropes. As far as saddle companies, you’ll be able to find the big 4- Trophyline, Tethrd, Latitude, and Cruzr pretty easily. As mentioned above there are some great smaller companies that are made in the USA such as CGM, Overwatch Outdoors, and TX5. They are safe saddles with great quality builds. Some cost a little more than others but it all depends on what you want. Also you can often find some amazing saddle deals on the classifieds here

All good questions. Saddles fit everyone just a little different. So there is no perfect answer. All the good saddles are made in the USA.
Do you do a lot of walking? Is weight an issue? Trying to stay lite?
Would you sacrifice weight for comfort?
How far are you from @tailgunner ? He lives out in the big O. Careful. He will try to make you a 2TC.. but as an arborist I am sure you have plenty of ways.

Also check out Custom Gear Modification.
The cobra folds up compact if you walk a lot. Or even using a Dryad hammock with a harness you have. If you can silence it and keep thing out of the way shoot with it..
I think he said he’s a tower worker not an arborist. Any elevated work positioning careers will require rescue climbing and riggining training. But excellent idea with him searching for Tailgunner

I sit 80% of the time or more and I’ve been in every two panel imaginable. In all the two panels I tried, I was only comfortable leaning which I don’t like to do. I prefer a single panel or a pleated saddle. There is no hard rule for leaners verse sitters. It’s all in body types and personal preferences.

Plenty of good options now
TX5 & CruzR would be a good start. You can check the classifieds here for a good deal

Welcome to the DEEP rabbit hole of saddle hunting! I did a "beginners review" of some saddles that I tried when I was getting into it. I "tested" them by hanging from a main beam in my basement, so I could send the ones that didn't work for me back during the "return period." I'm a little larger than you-6'2", 205 lb, 34" waist, but maybe you'll find some of this info useful. Good luck in your search!

Last edited:

this post is a good start

if you can wait, read up and watch videos for a while

many good options

i have a cruzr xc and a woods hunting saddle, which are both one piece and pleated

i'm mostly a leaner

i prefer the woods hunting saddle for several reasons, including that all the buckles can be had in high strength/rated versions and it is robustly built

some saddles will remind you more of your work harness....and some will seem lightly built in comparison

don't be afraid to call a manufacturer to ask sizing and other questions, anyone worth your money will take the time to guide you based upon your body type and other questions/answers

I sit 80% of the time or more and I’ve been in every two panel imaginable. In all the two panels I tried, I was only comfortable leaning which I don’t like to do. I prefer a single panel or a pleated saddle. There is no hard rule for leaners verse sitters. It’s all in body types and personal preferences.

I understand that. I know it varies from person to person and changes with body types.

With a two panel saddle, there are twice as many straps to support the body weight reducing pressure points. One can overlap the straps or spread out the straps to find the right support or even use one of the panels as a back support. There is typically less hip pinch with a two saddle.

A lot of the complaints with a single panel saddle is that most of your body weight is only being supported by just one strap and it can dig into the legs/butt and start to get uncomfortable after a while and force someone to the leaning position. And some single panel saddles are more likely to create hip pinch. The single panel pleated saddle looks to be comfortable.

The self-adjusting two panel saddles with D-rings like the Overwatch Transformer and the Eberhart Signature Saddle (ESS) seems to be very popular with sitters. Even the manual adjusting saddles like the Buzzard Roost Saddle seems to be liked by sitters. The single panel pleated saddles looks to be more supportive and comfortable with the deeper seat.

Lots of good ones and many saddles will be Made in the USA. I just got a Buzzard roost and it’s pretty sweet. Welcome to the addiction!

I’m not going to tell you “this is what you need to do” but I’ll give you my opinion and that’s all this is it’s an OPINION. I started out with a single panel and they suck. My buddies started out with single panels too and they feel the same. I think a single panel is great to start out to get the learning curve out of the way while you find your climbing technique and you figure out your positions in the tree/shot positions as well. A 2 panel for me is far superior in comfort and adjustability. I was questioning saddle hunting as a whole after the first year of it and the switch made every ounce of difference. I would fidget and couldn’t stay in a tree for more than 6 hours and the last 2 hours were me pushing myself. Now I sit motionless almost from sun up to sun down. So I’d recommend a 2 panel but I’d recommend a single panel to learn on

There’s lots Of good saddles out there, but I’ll second the recommendation for a wood hunting saddle. Made by one of our beloved saddlehunter members, a great guy and seasoned climber.

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but given the warmer summer hunting you plan to do, a mesh saddle may be something to consider.

One thing you’ll hear about mesh, though, is a tendency for it to stretch, potentially causing the webbing to dig into the hamstrings and/or back.

The Latitude Classic combats that with two pieces of webbing run vertically between the webbing frame. I had that saddle and it was pretty good, but I got a Wood Hunting Saddles Original (which lacks that feature) and the Wood Original was still more comfortable to me and better built. So, my experience goes against the grain I guess.

It’s available for $199 in size 2: https://woodhuntingsaddles.com/shop/ols/products/size-2-original-sale

That is a true single panel design, which is great for balling up small and packing in. But, I do think all day comfort in an unpleated single panel saddle is a bit more difficult than other options without some experience on how to adjust for a perfect set (and a very good single panel saddle to begin with). I personally think pleated saddles are more user friendly. I still use my Aerohunter Flex when it’s cooler and it is stupid easy to get comfortable. Unfortunately Aerohunter is no longer in business.

But there are some great pleated options in the market, like:

-The Wood Hunting Saddles Deluxe Saddle (neat because it has two fabric panels for structure and mesh in the middle for venting. The mesh probably adds some spring and helps the saddle conform a bit to the user as well)

-Custom Gear Modifications Cobra (mesh with a stretch band in the pleat that’ll add some extra support)
https://www.customgearmodifications.com/product-page/rtg-cobra

-TX5 Lonestar pleated saddle in mesh. They employ a plastic spreader that is supposed to reduce hip pinch, which is kind of nice. I do see them on classifieds from time to time, otherwise they are quite expensive.

It seems like two panels can be very hit or miss. I got exceptional comfort both sitting and leaning last winter with a padded two panel saddle, but could not recommend it for hot summer months.

If you’re not inclined towards mesh, I think a Cordura pleated saddle is a good bet, (in which case I’d throw the Overwatch Orion in the mix) or one like the Wood Deluxe (kind of the best of both materials).

Last edited:
Back