• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

C-IV slipping with Safeguard

Fzed1

I have been using a Madrock Safeguard for just over 1 year as my ascender/descender in an SRT setup. I briefly used monster 10mm static rope then 1 season using blue water 10.5mm static rope and most recently Sterling C-IV 9mm static rope. The device performed as expected until I started using C-IV

I started having issues where the device would intermittently creep at a rate of roughly 1 inch per second unless strong pressure is applied to tail end of the rope. This happened while ascending and also while at rest at hunting height.

I sent an email to Madrock to explain the issue, provided a video/photos. They responded that they suspect the issue is due to the rope not the device.

Has anyone on here had issues with C-IV and the safeguard or with any other device? I’m considering switching to the Grigri+

Ask them what is it with the rope and what type of rope should be used. C-IV should be well withing specs

They may have been designed for dynamic rope use, stiffness of some static ropes may cause the cam to disengage when unweighted.

Didn’t someone else post a thread about their Canyon C-IV slipping? I did a search and couldn’t find the more recent one I was looking for but here’s another one with a similar question:

It slipped on me one time too using C-IV. It was a slow creep when I was taking my platform off last year. I've tried to get it to do it again, I've had no issues. I did flip my rappel line since then and my old tag end is now the anchor end.

It wasn’t slipping from becoming unweighted, issue was occurring when stationary and fully weighted (maybe 250 pounds including) like when setting the platform.

From their response “Even if the rope's diameter is within spec; if it's old, used or stretched too much due to load, the diameter can change. The design team suggests testing the Safeguard with different ropes.”

C-IV is 9mm and the Madrock is spec’d for 8.9mm. I measured the diameter (after slipping issue occurred) in 5 places over the rope (total length 70 feet). The diameter measured 8.82mm, 8.70mm, 8.84mm, 8.73mm, and 8.69mm. This is the first season using C-IV and it hasn’t taken any falls

I have had c-iv creep in my madrock before just a bit but usually I can reposition and get it to stop. I think it has to do with how stiff the core is and slick the sheath is. I mainly use canyon elite now which is more supple and a slightly larger diameter that won’t slip like canyon does

It wasn’t slipping from becoming unweighted, issue was occurring when stationary and fully weighted (maybe 250 pounds including) like when setting the platform.

From their response “Even if the rope's diameter is within spec; if it's old, used or stretched too much due to load, the diameter can change. The design team suggests testing the Safeguard with different ropes.”

C-IV is 9mm and the Madrock is spec’d for 8.9mm. I measured the diameter (after slipping issue occurred) in 5 places over the rope (total length 70 feet). The diameter measured 8.82mm, 8.70mm, 8.84mm, 8.73mm, and 8.69mm. This is the first season using C-IV and it hasn’t taken any falls
#notanexpert but those measurements would give me pause if 8.9 is the minimum spec. I’d be using a 10mm rope if possible, or a 9mm rope that’s really 9.5ish. I know lots of ppl use 8mm ropes with their madrocks and I reiterate my lack of expertise, just sayin I’d be cautious if it were my own setup. I’m having this debate with the Ropeman right now also. It’s spec’d for 10mm but I really want at least 11mm to be confident, personally.
Also, you could just look into a Figure 8. $15-20 and pretty idiot-proof. And can take smaller diameter ropes of all pliabilities.

Back