• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cam Cleat 101

swampsnyper

I've been looking at trying one sticking and adding a cam cleat. What cam cleats do y'all use and does it come with the bolts or screws or do you uprgrade them.

Here’s what I used. 661 lb working load. Had to get longer 1/4-20 bolts to fit through the width of the stick. Those were less than $1 at my local hardware store. Have a file to smooth out the edges after you drill the stick. I have used the versa button and have girth hitched the 7mm Sterling Accessory cord, and both methods work fine. The girth hitch method keeps things better aligned, but the versa button method didn’t present any problems either.
fde7cb888e78baeac9ef4193278fb7d4.png

7844a4a22dfb4ce0abf02827b820bc53.jpg

cfb69266a2a34b3ba95f769bfe51a95b.jpg

Semper Fi,
Mike
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like Harken (you want aluminum internal components). I've used the 150 and the micro. They come with a drilling template, but no mounting hardware. I suggest flat head cap screws. Some are not comfortable with the micro's rating, but I have not had issues. I prefer it over the 150 as the 150 is wider then 1in square alum tube.

I like Harken (you want aluminum internal components). I've used the 150 and the micro. They come with a drilling template, but no mounting hardware. I suggest flat head cap screws. Some are not comfortable with the micro's rating, but I have not had issues. I prefer it over the 150 as the 150 is wider then 1in square alum tube.
I have the micro and I’m waiting on the other components of my stick. Wasn’t aware the harken didn’t come with hardware. What size and length flat head screw did you use?

I am using a harken 150.

need to buy some #10x2.5” screws and nylocks to mount on a 1” stick though.

I have good luck going thru my local ace hardware and going thru and trying all the ones that will fit wether it’s hex or button head hex grade 8 some are to long but nothing a hack saw won’t fix. Bring your cleats in the hardware and try them all out that’s what I did. Tried to order online but not what I wanted to pay for couple screws

Just an FYI for guys using these Harken cleats, I over tightened the machine screw when attaching one to my stick and cracked the red plastic bearing retainer. Once cracked, it allows the bearings to fall out and could potentially cause a catastrophic failure by not holding tension on the rope. The only cast alloy parts on these seem to be the housing and cleat itself. The red bearing retainer and bearing plates internal seem to be some sort of plastic. It looks like the bearings are Delrin. I bought a rebuild kit when I cracked the bearing retainer, lost bearings and used the attached video to re-assemble. It's an informative video from Harken that shows the internal working parts for anyone interested.

Does muddy own the patent to manufacture sticks with the cleats? I would assume other companies would have already jumped on this trend.

I used the shaffer cam cleat from amazon. it says 300lb weight limit. I went to home depot and found all the hardware. I went with allen head grade 8 hardware

Attachments

• IMG_2528.jpg
    IMG_2528.jpg
    980.8 KB · Views: 165
Didn’t the aero hunter guy just make a video recently on how he did his cam cleats I can’t think of his name right now

I ended up getting the Schaefer cleat from Dano and installed it on my stick. My 1/4in amsteel slips through it. Have y’all found that? If I full bury it will that solve it? Or just buy more rope.

I ended up getting the Schaefer cleat from Dano and installed it on my stick. My 1/4in amsteel slips through it. Have y’all found that? If I full bury it will that solve it? Or just buy more rope.

Full bury some 3/16”. Not being full buried and a hollow core it crushes down to much.

Last edited:
I used this one. Probably overboard. I was just playing around while I waited for the Ultimate One Stick.
527b9e4a839ed4e2eb97c29810cb9207.jpg

It didn’t come with hardware.

Same one I use. I like it. Holes are big enough to use 1/4” grade 8 bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I got this one from Dano and he supplied the grade 8 bolts with it. Ready to mount!

08ed02c320e438473d7d6da63c5d65b7.jpg

Back