• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Catalyst stick

Treehopper2

SH Member
Well I wanted to share my first impression thoughts of the Catalyst outdoors GWB stick.

First off I’ll get it out of the way

THIS THING WAS NOT CHEAP !!!

I one stick or DRT climb so I only needed one stick and I could afford just buying one at that price if it wouldn’t flex or fall apart every time I used it and would last a long time.

So now that’s out of the way let me get to what I think of it.

They say you get what you pay for and this is very true here with this stick.
I don’t think the treestand/saddle industry have ever produced
56ed7cd78d9d7fa8ebe3a3e9c7edc11c.jpg
something of this level of tolerance and quality to get you up a tree.
You can feel and see the difference in this stick once it’s in your hand.
Who ever designed and built this stick cares about what they do.
It can not be cheap to make this design it’s that solid.
Like I said I one stick climb and I’ve been using it this week. It has performed extremely well. It doesn’t make a sound and the standoffs really bite the tree.
You feel no flex or movement in the stick which is why I dished out the funds for it in the first place and I’m not disappointed.
I have no clue how they will stack only having just one but with the care that went into this design I’m sure that’s not a problem.
Again they aren’t cheap but they would honestly last a lifetime I’m sure of that.
I know most guys will pass at this price point and I get that but I have to say this is a piece of equipment I feel will not fail me at the worst possible time so what’s that worth ?
I’m looking forward to what these guys come up with for us in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is that bottom step with the standoff above it?

I’ve had a few guys ask how they stack and myself only having the one I use for one sticking I couldn’t answer that question so I reached out to the catalyst outdoors guys and asked.
This is the picture they sent back of a stack which looks pretty impressive.
I am in no way affiliated with these guys I just like the product and wanted to share what I know
c32fd7717aa22a6468977d151a6e0dea.jpg
to others interested in them.

what the hell is a timber hitch?

they specifically said 7/64” daisy chain on their FB live.

Bit aggressive but I’ll bite. Check out the latest from ole @boyne bowhunter

May not be ideal for one sticking like the OP is doing but I don’t see how it would be an issue climbing with a set.

The killer for me is you gotta use Amsteel daisy chains. I absolutely hate daisy chains.

I myself don’t mind the amsteal daisy chain but I may try a strap without the buckle method like I saw on lwcg video.
The “versa button” is very small on this stick I’m not sure that will workout.

Bit aggressive but I’ll bite. Check out the latest from ole @boyne bowhunter

May not be ideal for one sticking like the OP is doing but I don’t see how it would be an issue climbing with a set.

Might have to try that out. Takes some confidence to trust that and I only trust saddle hunters that wear crocs.

It works great, I’m probably going to switch over to full amsteel on my sticks this year after more testing.

what is it like 12’ peice of 7/64” Amsteel with an eye splice on one end?

That is a beautiful stick. I can't help but feel that for that process it might have a lot of extra material, making it massively strong but also heavier than necessary. My guess is that the stick is much stronger than almost any attachment system (barring 1/4" amsteel) and that the stick itself probably holds over 2,000 lbs. Fully machined out (except standoffs) like that from a high strength aluminum, I hope they play around and are able to get a 20" stick that weighs near 1 lbs.

Edit: This is probably the only stick I've seen where I think the 1/4" grade 8 bolts (my guess what they are using) holding the button and standoff might be the first thing to break!

Last edited:
Back