• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

check your phone cases for magnets

raisins

SH Member
I was noticing this year that my compass on my phone and inside the OnX app was acting weird but the GPS points were dead on. Well, I did get a new phone case this year. And this morning I went to pick it up and a paper clip was stuck to the back. It's magnetic! I looked online and Apple and Android both say that these will disrupt the built in compass. The compass being off almost caused me to get turned around somewhere I've hunted many times. I had to ignore the compass and go with my memory.

Last edited:
I was noticing this year that my compass on my phone and inside the OnX app was acting weird but the GPS points were dead on. Well, I did get a new phone case this year. And this morning I went to pick it up and a paper clip was stuck to the back. It's magnetic! I looked online and Apple and Android both say that these will disrupt your the built in compass. The compass being off almost caused me to get turned around somewhere I've hunted many times. I had to ignore the compass and go with my memory.
Yep, that probably explains why I have seen weird issues in both OnX and BaseMap. I have a MagBak case

I don't know for sure but I think it's the phone itself also...my case isn't magnetic or metal but if I put my phone in the vest pocket by my ball compass they interfer with each other.....I got kinda turned around in oct....the swamp only ran N to S and I was walking the edge heading what I knew in my head S and my compass was saying NW.

I don't know for sure but I think it's the phone itself also...my case isn't magnetic or metal but if I put my phone in the vest pocket by my ball compass they interfer with each other.....I got kinda turned around in oct....the swamp only ran N to S and I was walking the edge heading what I knew in my head S and my compass was saying NW.

They are pretty sensitive. Before saddle hunting, I was walking around with a 45 on my chest, a lone wolf assault and 4 sticks on my back, and the compass was being weird and I had to sit it down on the ground and step away. As I stepped away, I would see the compass act normally. Most of the stuff on my back was aluminum, which shouldn't be an issue but this is back when I was loaded down with like 40 lbs of all sorts of gear.

I was noticing this year that my compass on my phone and inside the OnX app was acting weird but the GPS points were dead on. Well, I did get a new phone case this year. And this morning I went to pick it up and a paper clip was stuck to the back. It's magnetic! I looked online and Apple and Android both say that these will disrupt the built in compass. The compass being off almost caused me to get turned around somewhere I've hunted many times. I had to ignore the compass and go with my memory.
Oh, wow. My phone mount in my truck uses a magnetic piece that attaches to the back of my phone case to hold it on the mount. All my hunts this year have been perfectly fine but 1. I was heading into a spot and knew where I needed to go but was trying to follow an exact path of travel I had laid out on OnX. It kept having a weird orientation on it that I knew was incorrect and I eventually just said screw it and went where I knew I needed to. Wonder if this was the issue. It'd be strange it's only affected it once out of all my hunts but definitely something to keep in mind.

Oh, wow. My phone mount in my truck uses a magnetic piece that attaches to the back of my phone case to hold it on the mount. All my hunts this year have been perfectly fine but 1. I was heading into a spot and knew where I needed to go but was trying to follow an exact path of travel I had laid out on OnX. It kept having a weird orientation on it that I knew was incorrect and I eventually just said screw it and went where I knew I needed to. Wonder if this was the issue. It'd be strange it's only affected it once out of all my hunts but definitely something to keep in mind.

are you sure the peice on the phone is magnetic? most of them that i've seen the peice on the phone is just a strip of metal and the magnet is in the base. should be fine, though i dont use them because they screw up wireless charging.

Any ferrous metal can interfere with a compass; magnets just interfere more. A compass is just a dressed-up magnet after all. If you're actually lost and trying to navigate to safety, ground any firearms or other metals and take your compass readings 10' or so away from them. Confirm your heading once you've geared back up; by doing so you'll have 'calibrated' your compass to your personal magnetic interference.

It’s funny you mention it because my wife and I had the same exact issue during our hunt this weekend. Was nearly a mile in the woods at night and the gps on On X kept doing funky things and turning us around

It’s funny you mention it because my wife and I had the same exact issue during our hunt this weekend. Was nearly a mile in the woods at night and the gps on On X kept doing funky things and turning us around

Yeah, OnX could actually make a warning pop up for this. Maybe I'll email tech support.

If when moving your movement does not match what OnX would predict based upon the compass reading, past a certain amount, then it could alert you to this.

It worries me with so many hunters now relying exclusively on OnX and similar to navigate that someone without a map and those skills could get really lost in new areas.

It can get you lost for sure! I was trying to walk from a field edge into the woods to a camera location and it was telling me to walk out in the field. I tried OnX and Basemap as I use both and they both did basically the same thing. I killed the apps, relaunched, turned in circles to try to orient the compass, nothing worked. I finally just turned them off and went the way I knew I needed to go.

It can get you lost for sure! I was trying to walk from a field edge into the woods to a camera location and it was telling me to walk out in the field. I tried OnX and Basemap as I use both and they both did basically the same thing. I killed the apps, relaunched, turned in circles to try to orient the compass, nothing worked. I finally just turned them off and went the way I knew I needed to go.

This is why I always have at least one traditional compass on me.

I’ve gone back to strategically placing the glow in the dark clip on trail markers

I spent my callow youth on the bridge of USCG cutters. As you might expect, navigating at sea has been the object of human ingenuity for centuries. Even with GPS units, LORAN-C, and gyrocompass repeaters, we still use the ship's magnetic compass as the standard against which all the techy-techy tools are compared. "Steering 158 True, check 163 Magnetic". And we would check the accuracy of our magnetic compass by comparing it to the heading of the pier to which we were tied. So, if you're on a north-south section line or whatever, you can check your compasses to confirm. Or if you happen to notice your gear is telling you the sun is setting in the South, you know you have something to resolve. A decent Silva orienteering compass takes up very little space in a bino pack or kill kit, takes no batteries, and is generally reliable in the absence of magnetic interference. If you're in a junkyard or old iron ore mine you'll want to use other references. Personally, I would rather leave my phone in my pocket (saving the batteries and avoiding distractions) and use an analog compass rather than a gizmo. I'm no luddite - I still carry a phone and Garmin Rino afield and geek out over GIS tools - but the paper maps and magnetic compasses like Lewis and Clark used, still work just as well today.

I have experienced issues caused by 2 or more devices interfering with each other and throwing off the compass and gps on each at the same time. Once I discovered the issue, turning off all but one solved it, and I am more aware of it now.

Thanks for posting this I have had that issue starting carrying my gps to mark points because I couldn’t trust my apps (onx and huntstand) now I will check my case!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought these electronic thingy's worked by satellite? I've used ONX under heavy cloud cover and it was telling me I was where I wasn't.

Back