• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Chest Rig

gettingstarted

Am thinking getting a chest rig to avoid reaching into backpack.

Any words of wisdom? What to look for?
Any model recommendations?

Thank you

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

Not sure if you’re talking about a bino harness or a rig to carry more, but I watched a video a while back that I think [mention]Red Beard [/mention](I think..) created and he had on a pretty slick chest rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Badlands but I’d look for one with a rangefinder holder so you have the extra room in the main pocket. Badlands makes one but not sure of the model.

Picked up a kifaru steelhead last year. That thing is money

Any words of wisdom? What to look for?
Any model recommendations?
Words of wisdom - 1. Chest rigs only work well if you hold an uber-minimalist mindset. Otherwise, your just trying to relocate all the crap from your back onto your front. When packing your chest rig, you want to keep it so that bulk doesn't extend off your body more than about 2-3 inches. If it gets farther out than that, you significantly reduce efficiencies in popular climbing techniques like one-sticking and 2TC because you lose visibility below the chest rig. A lower/more compact profile also helps ensure there is no bowstring interference should you need to draw while wearing your chest rig. 2. Panel style rigs (panels made of molle) are usually cordura-backed. Cordura holds A LOT of heat. Stay away from panels.

What to look for - 1. Chest rigs should be worn high on the upper torso so that they don't interfere with your bridge while climbing (another reason to stay away from panels... even when riding high on the chest, they can extend down to your belly area). 2. For me, a strap/harness system that criss-crosses in the back is preferable to a regular H-harness style. I feel it holds the rig more securely to the torso. 3. Again, smaller/more compact is better because it inhibits over packing and reduction in visibility below the pack.

Any model recommendations - I started out with an MCR3 panel and quickly ditched it for something smaller because "there's more molle on here I'm not using so I obviously need to add another pouch." The MCR3 was also miserably hot during the OCT time frame. Went with a Huenco chest rig after that and I've been nothing but completely pleased.

This is my Huenco and everything in it.

2TC tethers
Headlamp and extra batteries
Rangefinder
Pruners
Map
Ball compass
Gear grapple
Contact eye solution
Blood trail markers
Milkweed
Tourniquet
Mil-spec poncho (not pictured but sandwiched between me and the chest rig when there is more than a 30% chance of rain)
20220216_134902.jpg20220216_134920.jpg20220216_134927.jpg20220216_135019.jpg

Last edited:
Might also consider a game vest or turkey vest. I found myself using the game bag on my orange vest this year. So much I’ve spent more than $10 on one for next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I carry too much stuff to fit in that confined a space without sticking out to far to interfer with shooting...another option is a molle vest or turkey vest. I don't carry much but some of the larger items like ThermaCELL,water, rain gear take up some room...with a molle vest and a handful of various pouches I can spread out the bulkier items to areas of the body that are unused with either a chest rig or backpack...

Oops... @iamcorey beat me too it

This is what you guys need add a mini day pack. They can come with if you look. I make my own chest rigs and I really like the functionality of it. I have a pack I can attatch to it if I want

Attachments

• 5DEAC78E-C648-4C93-85AE-DC284A1244E5.jpg
    5DEAC78E-C648-4C93-85AE-DC284A1244E5.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 97
I have this for storage...it stays in the center of my upper back off my vest like a small day pack like u talking about.....British surplus. Has provisions to make into a backpack, shoulder bag, molle pouch..
Screenshot_20220222-103329~2.pngScreenshot_20220222-102848~2.png

Last season I began by using an FHF bino pack with 10x42 bins, along with side pouches for my glasses, knife, lighter, headlamp, rangefinder, etc. I found it to be too much clutter and straps to deal with once getting to the tree and starting my set up and found myself doing without it fairly early in the season because of this. This season i'm going use the chest pack from FHF with no pouches and try to set it up with just what I need in my hands during the hunt, smaller bino, rangefinder, wind indicators, grunt tube, and phone/gps and see how it goes.

I will give a shut out to FHF for their customer service, the stitching on the front of my bino harness puled out at one point when I was overly enthusiastic and the edge where my knife was mounted rubbed through the stitching, Both were my fault yet FHF sent me a replacement harness without hesitation or issue.

I run an AGC bino pack. I love it. Besides my binos, I keep a lighter, compass, rangefinder, GPS, and 3 deer calls on it. Either in a pocket, or dummy-corded to it. But the binos are certainly the main thing.

If you're not interested in a bino pack, the Hill People Gear packs linked above are probably the best made and thought-out products on the market.

Back