• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cold Feet

jgleas114

SH Member
Im in Louisiana. Sub 30 is cold for me. At about 40 degrees my feet are freezing. What do northern folks do to keep your feet warm? I did buy a pair of electric socks.

What type of boots etc?

Im in Louisiana. Sub 30 is cold for me. At about 40 degrees my feet are freezing. What do northern folks do to keep your feet warm? I did buy a pair of electric socks.

What type of boots etc?
I have Boggs boots for when it’s real cold. Going to try out boot covers this year too. What’s worked best for me regardless of boot though is a thin dress sock then a hot hands type foot warmer and then a wool sock. I was fine with that for an all day sit. Did a toe warmer of the same style with it once last year on a 10ish degree day with a north wind.

You might try arctic shield boot covers. They work surprisingly well in my experience.

Some light reading:

Wool socks with uninsulated boots for the walk in, keeps the sweat down. Then arctic shield boot covers when it's super cold.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I know a lot of people here in michigan switch to mickeys when it gets super cold. They don't go as high as much style boots but still waterproof and keep your feet warm.

If you have the ability, maybe look into a pair of the Crispi Shimeks or the Lacrosse Lodestar... I can run a pair of Hollow Alpaca socks with a pair of liner socks and uninsulated boots down to about 35-40. 400g of insulation in a mostly breathable boot should get me close to 25. I do swear by the Arctic Shield boot blankets for warmth, but they may be a bit awkward on a platform. If it gets below 20, I have a pair of the Lacrosse Cold Snap boots, and below zero I have a pair of Iditarod-style boots (not for hiking in lol).

I have the same problem. Froze in my Sitka Fanatic. Feet, legs then upper body got cold at 25f. I have a heavy weight thing like this, cover my head and I am warm.

Screenshot_20231101_164918_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Northern Michigan hunter here. For me the secret is boots that are 1 to 2 sizes too big and wool socks. It was 26F Tues morning when I walked out of camp. I was wearing size 13 rubber boots (800 gm thinsulate and my shoe size is 11.5) and two pairs of wool socks. I sat for 4 hours and my feet never got cold. The extra space in the boots traps the warm air and helps keep my feet warm.

If you have the ability, maybe look into a pair of the Crispi Shimeks or the Lacrosse Lodestar... I can run a pair of Hollow Alpaca socks with a pair of liner socks and uninsulated boots down to about 35-40. 400g of insulation in a mostly breathable boot should get me close to 25. I do swear by the Arctic Shield boot blankets for warmth, but they may be a bit awkward on a platform. If it gets below 20, I have a pair of the Lacrosse Cold Snap boots, and below zero I have a pair of Iditarod-style boots (not for hiking in lol).
Do you have the Lodestars? I’ve been looking at them but there isn’t much in the way of good reviews online and no stores around have them. Do they fit pretty true to size?

Do you have the Lodestars? I’ve been looking at them but there isn’t much in the way of good reviews online and no stores around have them. Do they fit pretty true to size?
The Lacrosse boots fit true to size for me, with a good sock. I personally don't have the Lodestars, my dad does, and he loves them. I have the Shimeks... I have several other pairs of Lacrosse stuff, including the Cold Snap boots.

Artic Shield covers with a toe warmer thrown in on top of the toes. No more cold toes and you can still use light hunting boots for walking long ways in.

Back