• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Combo small platform & steps?

osbornoutdoor

Jul 24, 2020
Does anyone have experience running a small platform like the OOAL scout along with a few steps?

I’m not against trying an entire ring of steps, but I’m curious if anyone has tried this type of combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wyatt_burp

Jul 1, 2019
Does anyone have experience running a small platform like the OOAL scout along with a few steps?

I’m not against trying an entire ring of steps, but I’m curious if anyone has tried this type of combo.

I've got one, I run 8 squirrel steps on it and its good for smaller trees- basketball size or smaller. Handy for short sits but I like to lean not sit, so steps aren't really my thing.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

drew13

Sep 11, 2014
Maine

Yes, I do this. I know my brother and other guys on here do it, too. Works great.

steveharvey

Dec 1, 2020
Yes, I do this. I know my brother and other guys on here do it, too. Works great.

Are you using a solo scout that cams down with the stock pull strap and putting the steps on the same strap? I am wondering if that is strong enough to hold the steps or do you need to run the steps on their own cam buckle or ratchet strap. Thanks

jtw0057

SH Member
Feb 24, 2021
I use a scout on my top stick and have started running a screw in step at my 9 so I can shoot the 12-3 a little better. I don’t have a good way to shoot the 3-6 with this setup and it has cost me a deer earlier this season but I like it for the most part. I was running a solo scout and my top stick at the 9 position but got tired of having to set it and also realized I can use screw in steps in my state. I may try adding another at the 12 so I can walk around the tree and shoot the 3-6 position better.

drew13

Sep 11, 2014
Maine
Are you using a solo scout that cams down with the stock pull strap and putting the steps on the same strap? I am wondering if that is strong enough to hold the steps or do you need to run the steps on their own cam buckle or ratchet strap. Thanks

Solo scout with stock strap and 2 or 3 steps on the strap is what I do. Sometimes your steps might be a little squishy. Sometimes putting your weight on a step might make the platform a little squishy. Always be tethered so it’s not dangerous and have a way down if your platform should drop (though you should be doing those things no matter what your platform is). So I’m not saying it’s 100% perfect but it usually is and I would rather do it this way than a separate ROS, but that’s a personal preference. I can tell you that it works for me, but you have to try it and decide for yourself.

bigcat93

SH Member
Jul 15, 2015
NJ
I use 2 on same strap as my predator platform and love it. I have a solo scout I’m waiting to get more steps for to try that out as well for short sits but it seems like it should work. I like the stock pull strap, I can cinch that down pretty tight and my steps rarely move with my predator. Hoping for same outcome with the scout

Reactions: JASmith

JASmith

SH Member
Oct 14, 2018
Indiana
I use 2 on same strap as my predator platform and love it. I have a solo scout I’m waiting to get more steps for to try that out as well for short sits but it seems like it should work. I like the stock pull strap, I can cinch that down pretty tight and my steps rarely move with my predator. Hoping for same outcome with the scout
@bigcat93 let me know how it works out with scout. I want to try same with workhorse. Maybe slotted squirrel steps put on at hunting height.

Reactions: bigcat93

tcmetrohunter

Oct 12, 2019

I've also done it. I tested using two Hawk steps on the strap the solo scout uses. It works the same as mentioned. Definitely an option but the steps are more solid on there own OCB. I think if I were to climb with the solo scout and my workhorse I would just carry steps on a OCB strap since I'm already cutting a ton of weight.

Reactions: JASmith

JASmith

SH Member
Oct 14, 2018
Indiana
I've also done it. I tested using two Hawk steps on the strap the solo scout uses. It works the same as mentioned. Definitely an option but the steps are more solid on there own OCB. I think if I were to climb with the solo scout and my workhorse I would just carry steps on a OCB strap since I'm already cutting a ton of weight.
I agree, which that's what I'll try this weekend. And yes, that workhorse and scout is unbelievably light weight. I'm really digging it!

hokiehunter373

Jan 14, 2019
Maryland
Ton of people do it. I'm going to try it on my next outing