• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Daisy Chain Mods

Sooter21

Merry Christmas, everyone! As we all are, I'm constantly making mods to my equipment. My next mod is going to be a rope mod on my new Heliums that I got for Christmas. I've seen rope mods, which I've done on my platform with 9mm static line, but I'm thinking for the sticks, I'm going to go with Amsteel daisy chains. My question is what size of Amsteel is everyone using? I have some 7/64 available (from other projects) which has a break strength of about 1200lbs. I know for life support situations, that I should go with something that has a break strength of 3000+ (I weigh 300#), but what about for climbing sticks? What do you all use?

I use 7/64 but im sub 200. Realistically the amsteel may never even have the load of you full weight because some percentage of it is being forced into the tree. However i am not a physicist.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I have some 7/64 available (from other projects) which has a break strength of about 1200lbs. I know for life support situations, that I should go with something that has a break strength of 3000+ (I weigh 300#), but what about for climbing sticks?
Please correct me if i am wrong, but if you are using sticks @ 20' with a linemans belt, isnt the stick your life support? The linemans belt wont arrest a fall completely, just prevents you from falling away from the tree so by that logic shouldnt you keep the strength or your sticks similar to what you would for a tether?

Please correct me if i am wrong, but if you are using sticks @ 20' with a linemans belt, isnt the stick your life support? The linemans belt wont arrest a fall completely, just prevents you from falling away from the tree so by that logic shouldnt you keep the strength or your sticks similar to what you would for a tether?
Merry Christmas, everyone! As we all are, I'm constantly making mods to my equipment. My next mod is going to be a rope mod on my new Heliums that I got for Christmas. I've seen rope mods, which I've done on my platform with 9mm static line, but I'm thinking for the sticks, I'm going to go with Amsteel daisy chains. My question is what size of Amsteel is everyone using? I have some 7/64 available (from other projects) which has a break strength of about 1200lbs. I know for life support situations, that I should go with something that has a break strength of 3000+ (I weigh 300#), but what about for climbing sticks? What do you all use?

I'm running 1/8" daisy chains because I like the extra safety cushion. It's still pretty cheap.

Sticks are not PPE in my opinion.

Sticks are not PPE in my opinion.

Not to be quarrelsome, but I feel this is playing with definitions instead of concepts. For instance, would a car not be a PPE, but the seat belt. But if your car runs correctly and you don't get in a wreck, then that is your first line of defense and means your seatbelt is not being used.

I feel that having functioning and safe sticks is nearly as important to safety as your tether and harness because it keeps you from needing to try what I would call secondary PPE out.

Right, i also think that a better way to lay out my point might be to consider safety factor. If i am comfortable with a 10 to 1 Safety factor on my tether, why would i go lower on my sticks unless it was backed up by wearing a tether. Just my two cents.

Not to be quarrelsome, but I feel this is playing with definitions instead of concepts. For instance, would a car not be a PPE, but the seat belt. But if your car runs correctly and you don't get in a wreck, then that is your first line of defense and means your seatbelt is not being used.

I feel that having functioning and safe sticks is nearly as important to safety as your tether and harness because it keeps you from needing to try what I would call secondary PPE out.

Just to be clear, I have zero issue with people going overboard being safe, but... I think a motorcycle analogy would be more appropriate-ish, with your tether being your helmet and leather jacket. You're climbing sticks would be the tires. Sure, it's good to have good tires, but you shouldn't be strapped to them, and they aren't going to be what stops you from hitting the ground :)

Just my 2 cents, there's a reason all the stick companies use cam buckles that are rated right around 800lb breaking strength, they know you need to be using lifelines or linesman's belts to be safe.

7/64 is stronger than any straps that come stock with sticks

But you seem concerned and if 1/8 makes you feel more comfortable then go that route. Confidence in your setup is key

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back