• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Pocket Arm

always89y

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Yes...I have ADD...
Love the idea of the LW Pocket Arm, but cant bring myself to pay $250...so I'm going to take a stab. Not sure how this will go. Material is not a problem, but cutting it is. I'll video the shenanigans...

Parts list:
1ea 4"x6" 5/8 thick 6061 plate
1ea 2"x12" 5/8 thick 6061 bar (bottom arm)
2ea 1 25"×10" 5/8 thick 6061 bar (2 outer arms)
1ea 6" 5/16x18 all thread with knob (tree brace adjustment knob)
1ea bolt for fluid head mount
3ea 2.5" 5/16 x18 bolts with washers and lock nuts for arms
1ea 3" 5/16x18 with lock nut and washers for arm/base mount
A variety of nylon/dacron washers

Got the design done and transformed to the plate for the base. I'm going to focus on that first.
Simplifying things a bit. No hook.
5572ec962e4851d2479e9948603fd779.jpg
1531032138f442e9e9a669bdcee1cee4.jpg
eb02c907ec664a8c03a9f60527516ac5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Not sure what it is your making but it looks/sounds heavy......my advice is to make it all straight cuts with a cut off wheel in 4.5" grinder then come back after the main piece is cut and sand with flapper wheel to get the radius

Not sure what it is your making but it looks/sounds heavy......my advice is to make it all straight cuts with a cut off wheel in 4.5" grinder then come back after the main piece is cut and sand with flapper wheel to get the radius
Its a camera arm...based on the Lone Wolf Pocket Arm...
Yep. It will be heavy compared to other saddle gear, but light compared to other DIY camera arms. I hope to land at under 2 lbs once all said and done. Commercial version is 1.5 I think?Will go over 2 lbs with fluid head and camera, obviously. More interested in the compactability, and 1 piece function.
Thanks for the tip! Ill give the cutter wheel a go. Otherwise, Im going to try and find a metal blade for my small band saw.

jeez man, your living that saddle hunting life. always making a new project.
Empty nest, a garage, what is still a fairly new to me hunting method, and time. It's a perfect storm for me. Plus, when I'm not tinkering or working, I'm thinking about work. I'm just trying to shift that balance.

I'd suggest drilling a hole that will get radius required, then cut away the unwanted material. A cut off wheel will load up with aluminum. A saw blade will work better. Spraying a little WD40 on the blade will help keep the blade from gumming up too. I'm going to be following this....;)

Well, we have a functional DIY pocket camera arm! Now it's just a matter of drilling the fluid head bolt and grinding and sanding and filing a way until I get down to where I want it. Already under 2 pounds. I think I can get it to 1.5. What's really nice is it Locks down really tight with this amsteel Daisy chain with the whoopie sling on the end!
356659281fa23538695ae4091697f3c3.jpg
fcb0edeacfb5a38aab6ea9f96893a2f4.jpg
bf3e01063ab282a0744ae127c7a31131.jpg

That sir is impressive. I like it. Almost makes me want to drag that stuff around to film my hunts......we'll see.

Thanks fellas. Heres the final product except fluid head bolt and have to shorten and sharpen the adjustment bolt. Came in at 1lb 10oz without fluid head.
Deminsions are:
5/8th thick (except knob)
26-29 " from tree fully extended and depending on tree lean
11"× 6" folded
And it does actually fit in a pocket...kinda!
Still have to really polish the contact surfaces to smooth is out, but pterry smooth as is.
1a5c68f3cbb6255f435dd61b1e7a44b3.jpg
1d755c9066d9180d19a7feb44f3edcd5.jpg

Very cool. You make it look easy with all these post.... hey guys I just wanted to show something I threw together. I know it rarely is that easy. Good job.

Back