• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Diy saddle

DUSTGRATH25

Currently I have a kestrel saddle I been using and just got the mantis saddle as well. But i still want to get into making them as well, always a great feeling when you succeed in something that you created. By saying that wanted to get suggestions or here people opinions on what to include in the saddle design or size and shape. Even hearing problems they have with current saddles help in making a new saddle. Looking forward to hearing what people have to say and thanks for your time.

I would recommend you take the features you like best of each saddle you have and make yourself the ultimate saddle for your style. What I did was use g hooks for the leg straps and connect them to the belt, move the lineman’s loops forward, increase the size of the protective webbing on the bridge loops to mitigate the “split second fall effect”, used a 1” waist belt, made the seat (cordura) a little wider than the kestrel size 1, spliced an amsteel bridge and made a few other tweaks along the way. As long as you are comfortable with the design and feel safe with your work you can make it any way you like. Once you have experience creating your first one you will have better technique and more ideas for an even better model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made a kestrel clone similar to ckossuth's thread. I also made a slightly larger mantis clone with cordura. I then made Bwana's wraptor and finally I made another one of my own design with a fleece seat. I kind of like that one best and it is more of a square design, like a hybrid sit drag.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I made a kestrel clone similar to ckossuth's thread. I also made a slightly larger mantis clone with cordura. I then made Bwana's wraptor and finally I made another one of my own design with a fleece seat. I kind of like that one best and it is more of a square design, like a hybrid sit drag.

Do you have photos

Do you have photos
Here you go. I'm not including the wraptor as I made that identical to Bwana's.

First photo is diy kestrel clone. Second is mantis-ishclone. And third is my design.
9a23a351cf4f664a8dea0081d17c6c36.jpg
ba28c8284bcd9a050666eccc5a02a97f.jpg
66eea5233d05d4c641f95d950e524dbf.jpg

Reference above saddles... I'm mostly a leaner and prefer the mantis over the kestrel clone. I think if you're a sitter I would think the kestrel would be more comfortable as it has a bit more material and would fit your bum better.

Those look great. I've been wanting to make my own for a while now and after seeing those I'm going to. What is the recommended thread to use?

Those look great. I've been wanting to make my own for a while now and after seeing those I'm going to. What is the recommended thread to use?
Depends on your machine. I have a Juki 8700H and use a size 92 polyester thread and occasionally size 132. Unless you have an industrial machine you won't be able to use this thread. I would look at polyester size 69 thread or the Gutermann equivalent, which I believe is Tex 70.

Ok thanks. Let me ask, can I sew with my wife's sears machine or do I need a heavier duty rig?

I have a Mantis and JX3, working on a Kestrel clone menotioned in an earlier thread. I hear ya can't go wrong with a fleece and rch either. A fleece or a Wraptor will probably be the next on my to do list. I think each saddle has their own purpose depending on the hunt. I'm just using a Singer 4423, heavy duty needles and Gutermann Tera 40 polyester thread. I'd assume your Sears machine could handle the material as long as you can get the heavier needles for it and it has enough power for the thicker materials. Might as well try!

I may look into buying a heavier machine, it's not like I got into saddle hunting to save money especially with all the guys here and their great ideas. Yeah the fleece is great. Thinking of adding a belt to it and a few gear loops but not dedicated bridge loops so I don't mess with the way it supports me and ruin the comfort.

Here you go. I'm not including the wraptor as I made that identical to Bwana's.

First photo is diy kestrel clone. Second is mantis-ishclone. And third is my design.
9a23a351cf4f664a8dea0081d17c6c36.jpg
ba28c8284bcd9a050666eccc5a02a97f.jpg
66eea5233d05d4c641f95d950e524dbf.jpg

Which is your favorite and why ?

I would say the Sitka fleece would be my favorite. I designed that by kind of trial and error using my own butt as a measuring device. It just seems to fit me perfectly. There is a little more give on the sides due to the fleece and overall less hip pinch. Plus I'm a Sitka elevated 2 fanatic.

I also really like the mantis clone. I pretty much used my mantis as a base and then made it slightly larger so it fit me better. The mantis was the only saddle I used last year so I am very familiar with it. I lean 90-95% of the time and I think the mantis is great for leaners.

I will be using the mantis clone and the Sitka fleece all season and mainly be using the mantis earlier in the season and the Sitka fleece later in the season. I just need to make my Sitka saddle butt warmer.

I will probably use them all a little this season but those 2 the most.

Just a quick note...I made these saddles this spring and have been playing with them a bit. I bought a stock mantis last year and I really liked it. I then made my clone with what fit my body more/better. I then sold the mantis.

I will probably make another saddle next spring until I get one that is perfect for my body size and hunting style. So far the Sitka fleece is the closest to the above statement.

Between my fleece saddles, wraptor, and TL ambush.... I'll pick the wraptor every time. The fleece is the most comfortable but I don't like having to wear the harness. The ambush is pretty solid and I had no reason to want anything else. But the wraptor is just perfect for me. I had plans to make one without d rings and just sew bridge loops, but I doubt I ever feel the need to complete that project. I added linesman loops for convenience as well.

Ok thanks. Let me ask, can I sew with my wife's sears machine or do I need a heavier duty rig?
Sorry but I just saw this. If it has plastic gears, it will not work. You will break it. Older machines were made with metal gears. You would have to Google the model number and check to see if it has metal gears.

I think most machines can handle a layer or 2 of webbing and cordura fabric. The first saddle I made I used my mom's Janome heavy duty. I don't think it has metal gears and it struggled with some things.

I had a lot of issues with proper stitching, tension issues, and bobbin issues. It was a pain in the a**.

I would recommend you take the features you like best of each saddle you have and make yourself the ultimate saddle for your style. What I did was use g hooks for the leg straps and connect them to the belt, move the lineman’s loops forward, increase the size of the protective webbing on the bridge loops to mitigate the “split second fall effect”, used a 1” waist belt, made the seat (cordura) a little wider than the kestrel size 1, spliced an amsteel bridge and made a few other tweaks along the way. As long as you are comfortable with the design and feel safe with your work you can make it any way you like. Once you have experience creating your first one you will have better technique and more ideas for an even better model.

Can you show me a pic and explain this please ? Thanks !

Reference above saddles... I'm mostly a leaner and prefer the mantis over the kestrel clone. I think if you're a sitter I would think the kestrel would be more comfortable as it has a bit more material and would fit your bum better.

Can you explain your saddle design and it's rigging a lil so I do not mis-interpret...Im still newbie and like the simple setup im seeing... Thanks

Can you explain your saddle design and it's rigging a lil so I do not mis-interpret...Im still newbie and like the simple setup im seeing... Thanks
I used 2 inch seatbelt webbing as the base. I added some tubular webbing to where the bridge was going to hook up. If you want an Amsteel bridge, I would add it at this step too. This way you can have 2 locked brummels.

I made a loop (I think 86 inches) with a 6 inch overlap. I then sewed the overlap by tracing it around. I then sealed it with some box stitches.

After the seatbelt webbing is secured, I usually sew the tubular webbing with straight, parallel stitches.

The Sitka fleece saddles I made I just added material onto the webbing. I sized the spacing of the seatbelt webbing by placing it under my butt and taking a measurement when I found it comfy. Due to the fleece stretch, I placed a "v" with additional seatbelt webbing to assist with keeping the seatbelt webbing at this distance. I'm not sure it is needed though.

The kestrel clone I followed the directions on the diy kestrel clone thread.

The mantis clone I just copied the dimensions from my mantis but made it slightly larger.

The belt is 1 inch tubular webbing. I secured it with 2 box stitches at the center. It is then stitched with the molle webbing. I used a climbing rated buckle (raptor) and the g hooks for the leg straps.

If you do make one, thoroughly test it at ground level and make sure the stitches are good and you have proper tension.

If you have questions, feel free to pm me. Kind of hard to explain the process.

Can you show me a pic and explain this please ? Thanks !

This should explain things better. If it doesn’t let me know.

Last edited:
Back