• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Dryad killdeer/mini drey or tx5 minimalist for hybrid setup?

Randy Marsh

Anyone try both? Looking to pair it with a .5 stand.

Really like the tx5 but am concerned about comfort for longer sits. I'm a sitter so I'm not sure how I'd like the shorter saddle width. I like how fast it is to deploy or retract the saddle.

I've been leaning towards the mini drey for longer sit comfort, but it seems like it could be fiddlier. I like to run a couple of pouches and it looks like they would have to be taken off before deploying the hammock. Is there something that keeps the hammock from falling while standing? With how far the hammock goes up your back, do you feel a backband is even worth using with it?

I've considered other saddle options, but I like the idea of being able to use these as a saddle or just a harness.

Until late last season I used a fleece saddle with a rock climbing harness. There is a little more fiddle to it than a regular saddle, esp if you are using it with a regular hang on stand and sitting on it then moving back to normal saddle position facing the tree. If I completely unweighted the fleece saddle it would sometimes move a little but it was never an issue really. I wouldnt think it would work well with pouches but I never used them.

Anyone try both? Looking to pair it with a .5 stand.

Really like the tx5 but am concerned about comfort for longer sits. I'm a sitter so I'm not sure how I'd like the shorter saddle width. I like how fast it is to deploy or retract the saddle.

I've been leaning towards the mini drey for longer sit comfort, but it seems like it could be fiddlier. I like to run a couple of pouches and it looks like they would have to be taken off before deploying the hammock. Is there something that keeps the hammock from falling while standing? With how far the hammock goes up your back, do you feel a backband is even worth using with it?

I've considered other saddle options, but I like the idea of being able to use these as a saddle or just a harness.

One thing to consider that didn't pop out right away: if you are a dump pouch user, the killdeer with the mini drey may not be an optimal setup, depending on how you set it up. The killdeer harness is next to your body with the dump pouches attached to the harness/belt. The mini drey is designed to go outside of/over the top of the harness. Going to be a bit awkward, unless your dump pouches are empty. ? You could position the mini drey underneath the dump pouches, which would work well, except that you can't exactly use it like a hammock then?

I have both dreys. I haven't even considered using the killdeer since I got a regular saddle. It's definitely doable to say one stick or SRT but it also definitely lacks comfort. I've used the drey over my other saddles and that's pretty good, even over pouches but they are usually empty by the time I deploy the drey. It really doesn't dig into, in my experience if it goes over other stuff. A bigger issue may be that your pouches aren't easy access anymore

You also got to ask yourself do you plan to sit on the .5 more or in the saddle more? The Drey will for sure be more comfortable but is more fiddlier. Also are you planning to carry a pack? I dont see a reason to carry pouches if you are using a .5 because you can add a small day pack on the .5.

If you plan to sit on the .5 most of the time and use the saddle for difficult shot, then the TX5 is the way to go. But if you plan to sit on the saddle most of the time but want the most foot space, then get the Drey.

The standard .5 seat is just so uncomfortable that I found that 98% of the time I lean or sit in the saddle (using the seat as a knee rest). Don't get me wrong, I like having the seat available, but for me, what's worked best is using the most comfortable saddle(s) I could find.

No experience with the TX5, but I really like the dryad mini for hybrid hunting with a treestand. I don't use dump pouches but I do keep the hammock in the little pouch it came with, on the belt of my tactisaddle. The empty pouch does not cause any hot spots or discomfort under the hammock, if that helps. There is a little elastic belt that keeps the hammock from sliding down when you stand up. Definitely no reason to use a backband with it. I set the mini up so that it comes all the way up past the middle of my back, sometimes pull it all the way up to my armpits... super comfortable.

I have the "full" Drey, & I just empty both dump pouches when I get to hunting height. The only thing left in them when I get there is my lineman's rope, which I coil up & hang on my gear hanger. Then the pouches just collapse inside of the hammock & I don't even feel them.

I have the Mini-Drey and standard saddles. I feel that for long sits you may be better served with a standard saddle. I keep my Drey setup for ultralight/minimalist <5 hours setups, but be aware of pressure points/hot spots caused by whatever clothing/harness you're wearing underneath (because of how the pressure is distributed). All that being said, it'll be preference.

Last edited:
Just putting this out there.

If there’s a strong preference for sitting in the tree stand, a mesh seat might be preferable. In that case a .75 is a better fit for all but very short persons.

Of course it‘s a slightly heavier and less compact stand. Can’t have it all I suppose.

I've got a full Drey, mounted on a Misty Mountain RCH (actually on a Condor battle belt mounted to the RCH but same difference). I've got a couple of pouches on the battle belt and honestly don't notice their bulk while I'm in the hammock. And I'm usually in it all day. I climb with the Drey stowed, like a rock climber in the RCH. So give it a try with the pouches on before you fuss with them.

That said, there's no rule that your pouches need to be on your saddle. You can absolutely do a separate "bat-belt" with whatever pouches you want, then stash them in your pack or use it as your gear hanger in the tree. I'm picturing a carpenter's tool belt with adjustment holes from your waist size all the way down to whatever size tree you'd climb. Depending on the construction of MOLLE pouches, you can use the incorporated strips as a belt loop, or use Velcro OneWrap as a belt loop. I've put a lot of MOLLE pouches on gun belts with OneWrap, with zero complaints. Even used store-brand knockoff wrap; it held a TAG triple pistol mag pouch on a working gun belt without complaint until I replaced it with a Safariland.

It really all depends on the tree that I need to get in. If it's right for the saddle, I'll always take it, but I found a lot of trees last year that were better suited for a stand. So, I guess I have to say it could be 50/50 for sitting in the saddle and stand. I'm short so I'm going for the .5 with the 18in post and .75 seat. I would go to the .75 if it had an 18in post. My knees wouldn't reach the .75's 20in post and I'm a sitter in the saddle so that's a big deal for me.

I guess the only things left in my pouches once I'm in the tree are my lineman belt, pull up rope and sometimes my gear strap. I could move that stuff around pretty easily. I just liked the convenience of the pouches for easy access to things while climbing. I'm sure I'll use a pack once in a while but mostly later in the season. I also might add a pouch under the seat. I do like the idea of the battle belt. I could attach that to the stand on the walk in and out to get rid of the extra stuff around the waist. I like that both the minimalist and killdeer are basically just belts when wearing them in. I always hated wearing a full-size saddle in. Mine was a sweat factory and liked to sag a lot.

I'm still kind of leaning towards the dyad but will still have to think about it a bit. This is quite a different setup than I've ever had and I'm trying to get a good picture of how things will work before ordering everything. There isn't a whole lot of talk out there about this stuff, so this has helped a lot.

I think you'd be fine leaving that stuff in pouches under a drey. It's impressive how varying the tension on your harness and the drey will make those hot spots melt away

One thing to consider that didn't pop out right away: if you are a dump pouch user, the killdeer with the mini drey may not be an optimal setup, depending on how you set it up. The killdeer harness is next to your body with the dump pouches attached to the harness/belt. The mini drey is designed to go outside of/over the top of the harness. Going to be a bit awkward, unless your dump pouches are empty. ? You could position the mini drey underneath the dump pouches, which would work well, except that you can't exactly use it like a hammock then?

Update:
Dryad Killdeer: The belt works well, waist buckle works well. Dump pouches attach nicely. Waist adjustment works well. The premium leg straps are 'nicer' than the g-hook style but are not comfortable at all if bearing any sort of significant body weight in just the belt and leg straps configuration. Adding in the hammock increased comfort in this mode. The leg straps are a bit short/snug when I put on my bibs and normal cold weather gear. A bit of fiddle factor involved with putting on the leg straps and then using the leg strap keepers, results in some farting around, not as clean to put on. The mini hammock saddle works well and is very comfortable. If the mini drey hammock is positioned under your dump pouches, then it works well and is comfortable, but you are somewhat limited in that you can't pull the hammock all the way up into "hammock" mode. If you put the mini hammock over your dump pouches, and there is anything inside your dump pouches, it compresses these against your body and is NOT very comfortable.

TX5 Minimalist 2.0
I really wanted to make this work. Nice craftsmanship. Lightweight. The problem, for me, was that it was not comfortable - the lower webbing sat RIGHT on my outer leg / hip bones. (For an exact location, all of the pressure was on my "grater trochanter of femur".) When I went into leaning or sitting mode, the pressure on this part of my hip area was a significant problem; it was almost like all of my weight was resting on 1.5" webbing in only those two spots. Tried to make it work with several different combinations of tether height and length. Just could not get comfortable. Was almost in denial for several days since I wanted it to work in my hybrid system. Tried it out, sat for 5 minutes, not comfortable. Made a bunch of excuses, tried it another couple of days, same results. Had to laugh at myself. Ended up returning it. TX5 was great to work with and very responsive, kind of bummed it didn't work. Similar to the dryad killeer, the TX5 minimalist was not comfortable in just the belt and leg straps configuration - deploying the mesh saddle/seat improved the comfort, but the position of the lower webbing ruined it due to the pressure points, as noted above. Leg straps were longer than those provided with the killdeer. Had leg strap keepers built in, which was kind of nice, but also a bit of fiddle factor if one tried to leave them attached to the leg straps. Probably best to reconfigure each time, which is kind of annoying.

It really all depends on the tree that I need to get in. If it's right for the saddle, I'll always take it, but I found a lot of trees last year that were better suited for a stand. So, I guess I have to say it could be 50/50 for sitting in the saddle and stand. I'm short so I'm going for the .5 with the 18in post and .75 seat. I would go to the .75 if it had an 18in post. My knees wouldn't reach the .75's 20in post and I'm a sitter in the saddle so that's a big deal for me.

I guess the only things left in my pouches once I'm in the tree are my lineman belt, pull up rope and sometimes my gear strap. I could move that stuff around pretty easily. I just liked the convenience of the pouches for easy access to things while climbing. I'm sure I'll use a pack once in a while but mostly later in the season. I also might add a pouch under the seat. I do like the idea of the battle belt. I could attach that to the stand on the walk in and out to get rid of the extra stuff around the waist. I like that both the minimalist and killdeer are basically just belts when wearing them in. I always hated wearing a full-size saddle in. Mine was a sweat factory and liked to sag a lot.

I'm still kind of leaning towards the dyad but will still have to think about it a bit. This is quite a different setup than I've ever had and I'm trying to get a good picture of how things will work before ordering everything. There isn't a whole lot of talk out there about this stuff, so this has helped a lot.

I use one of these pouches from Eastern Woods Outdoors. I carry a extra daisy with carabiner (used as a second tether while climbing) gear strap, bow pull up, and leg straps for Mutiny belt. I have it forward of the lineman loop.
By the time I am up in the tree my pouch is empty so the pouch does not bother the hammock.Screenshot_20230625_090306_Gallery.jpg

I use one of these pouches from Eastern Woods Outdoors. I carry a extra daisy with carabiner (used as a second tether while climbing) gear strap, bow pull up, and leg straps for Mutiny belt. I have it forward of the lineman loop.
By the time I am up in the tree my pouch is empty so the pouch does not bother the hammock.View attachment 86491
Are the paracord loops for holding your sticks as you climb?

Are the paracord loops for holding your sticks as you climb?
No, Dane made me some custom leg straps using 1" webbing. I run the webbing through the loops then slide them close to my back pockets. Keeps the leg straps from sliding down.
Sometimes I carry two pouches if I am packing a few tree steps. Somtimes I use 3 steps to start then go to sticks.Screenshot_20230626_114248_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230626_114313_Gallery.jpg

Back