• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Easiest to sharpen single bevel

bigmike23

I'm going through prior threads about single bevels to see what you guys are using. I'm not gonna ask whats the best as most of you seem to like IWs, Tuffheads, VPAs, etc. What is the easiest to sharpen? IWs look like a royal pain with the damn Tanto tip. Im not sitting here all day to sharpen 1 head.

I'm using Grizzly Stik Overkill Samurai's and I sharpen them with the Work Sharp that @Islandshooter tagged. It's pretty simple to find the correct starting angle by just coating the edge of the broadhead with a sharpie and observing how the tool is engaging the sharpie mark. I follow up the Work Sharp use with some stropping to get them shaving sharp again. They're pretty easy to get sharp again.

Paper wheel makes most single bevels easy. My cuttthroats do really well. I’ve heard some of the s7 stuff is harder to get perfect because it’s so hard material. I had helix and it harder because of the two blade angles. Never felt like I got them back where I wanted them.
I’m not sure if they use the metals they are telling you they use if it’s brand specific or more blade angle, and what not that would make one harder to sharpen.

If you haven’t check out a paper wheel. You can sharpen, knives, sissores, broadhead Tons of stuff.

So I'm not by any means a "finisher" as I refer to this stuff. Most things for that fact. I lack patients most of the time for fine details. With that said, I was surprised how easy it was to sharpen SB broadheads. I ended up with GS Massias. Followed the RF tutorial on sharpening those with the file and strop. It took a little practice, but I can get one pretty sharp in 5-10 minutes. Getting that last super sharp edge does take some more time and patience. But it can be done. I wouldn't let the sharping hold you back. I was pretty nervous at first. But just jumped in. Either one of those jigs, or the file and a strop. Last fall after I shot my deer, I went to the truck and cleaned the broadhead, ran the file over it a few times, and semi strop on a piece of cardboard. It was shootable for the evening. It wasn't my number 1, but it was sharp enough I wouldn't have hesitated to send it.
It eassier than you think, and pretty hard to "ruin" one, unless you get super aggressive.

I have paper wheels and I also have the KME broadhead guide. The paper wheels do really well and are fast on two bladed broadheads. I suppose a person can do replacement blades on 3 or 4 bladed broadheads but I never have. I shoot Magnus stinger 100 grain 2 bladed broadheads and have for years. They don't break the bank.

The KME does a great job as well but these types of guides are designed to be used with sandpaper. You will go thru a lot of sandpaper. If you ever buy a guide like the KME guide or StaySharp guide, I would highly recommend buying a set of diamond plates, course, medium, fine and they will last a long time. Here is a good set of diamond plates, Amazon.com: Ultra Sharp Diamond Sharpening Stone Set - 8 x 3 Coarse/Medium/Extra Fine : Tools & Home Improvement

Historically I've been terrible at sharpening broadheads. For years I shot Magnus for that reason alone (send them back any Magnus at any time and they'll send you brand a new one no questions asked).

I bought Grizzly single bevels at the end of last season determined to get them, and keep them hair popping sharp. Thought I needed a stay sharp or KME to get the job done. Saw this thread this morning and it finally gave me the kick in the butt I needed to get on with sharpening up my "test" broadhead (poor thing has been repeatedly shot into targets and buried in the ground a few times too). Anyway, I saw a video by Clay Hayes where he did a single bevel that was in a clamp in his vice. I didn't have a knife clamp like he did so I used a pair of vice grips in my vice. Yo... I couldn't believe the results. It was amazingly easy.

Historically I've been terrible at sharpening broadheads. For years I shot Magnus for that reason alone (send them back any Magnus at any time and they'll send you brand a new one no questions asked).

I bought Grizzly single bevels at the end of last season determined to get them, and keep them hair popping sharp. Thought I needed a stay sharp or KME to get the job done. Saw this thread this morning and it finally gave me the kick in the butt I needed to get on with sharpening up my "test" broadhead (poor thing has been repeatedly shot into targets and buried in the ground a few times too). Anyway, I saw a video by Clay Hayes where he did a single bevel that was in a clamp in his vice. I didn't have a knife clamp like he did so I used a pair of vice grips in my vice. Yo... I couldn't believe the results. It was amazingly easy.
Got a link for that video?

I have had good luck with the gatco sharpener. I’ve done a lot of the heads mentioned here, I shoot tuffheads almost exclusively now. I do the tanto tip free hand, never had an issue.

Back