• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Equipment for SRT

cmg7890

In addition to the obvious (rope), what are the other needed things for SRT climbing? There seems to be lots of different terms and acronyms for things. Simple terms would be great. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In addition to the obvious (rope), what are the other needed things for SRT climbing? There seems to be lots of different terms and acronyms for things. Simple terms would be great. Thanks

It’s slightly more complicated than that due to many different SRT options. You can detailed lists on many threads on the forum though.

This is a list I put together for another thread. This isn’t a recommendation, just an example of what I use.

Ascending:
Saddle
Short bridge-1" tubular or sewn loop 11/16" climbing sling or many other options
Left hand ascender-Petzl Ascension or similar
Foot Loop-Petzl Footape or similar
Oval Carabiner for rerouting through ascender
Sterling 9mm HTP or similar rope 40'-50'
Madrock Safeguard belay device
Small carabiner and 35' paracord for rope retrieval

Rappeling:
Same as above
Optional rappeling:
ATC and Sterling Hollowblock or similar tied in autoblock (french prusik) configuration

Thanks. That’s exactly the type of info I needed.

What is the rope that folks talk about as preferable to paracord for pulling down your main rope?

What is the rope that folks talk about as preferable to paracord for pulling down your main rope?

Link in my post above (line). Paracord is great for pre sets and pulling rope out of the tree. Petzl airline or similar is far better for tossing the throw bag over a branch. No better than paracord, just serves a different purpose.

Link in my post above (line). Paracord is great for pre sets and pulling rope out of the tree. Petzl airline or similar is far better for tossing the throw bag over a branch. No better than paracord, just serves a different purpose.

Thanks, that makes sense. For some reason I thought I read about folks saying paracord was too stretchy sometimes and someone suggested something else. I’ve got some throw line off Amazon I am going to try out in the next day or two.

Thanks, that makes sense. For some reason I thought I read about folks saying paracord was too stretchy sometimes and someone suggested something else. I’ve got some throw line off Amazon I am going to try out in the next day or two.

Yes, you’re correct. I just misunderstood your question. There are low stretch paracord alternatives available. I use paracord and buy it by the roll bc it’s inexpensive and works. I haven’t tried the other options.

Have any of you good folks ever used the Beal Birdie? If seems similar to the GriGri but I can’t tell how it compares to the Safeguard.

You like the yo-yo reel better than a flat kite reel? Seems kind of bulky, but I haven’t seen one on person

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Someone on the forum recommended the hand line reel. It works great and doesn't really take up much space but it's the only option I've tried so far. I have one in HI and one in NC. There may be better options but this is certainly a good one.

I bought several spools of 300lb test UHMPE fishing line and just use the spool it is already on. I haven't had any problems with tangling.
I put a stick through the spool for a handle.

Last edited:
I’ve been using a throw line cube.
How are you using the reel when you throw the bag? Might be less bulky than my folding arborist cube.

I only have ~60 feet of line in the reel. If the branch I’m looking to throw over is over 30’ I will pull all the line off the reel prior to the first toss. It’s easier to keep the Petzl airline from becoming a tangled mess than you’d initially think.

I only have ~60 feet of line in the reel. If the branch I’m looking to throw over is over 30’ I will pull all the line off the reel prior to the first toss. It’s easier to keep the Petzl airline from becoming a tangled mess than you’d initially think.

Can you compare the Petzl airline to Zing-It or Dynaglide?

Back