• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Feeling uneasy about amsteel

ShortFuse

Completely new to the saddle scene and even knew to hanging from a tree. Sat in a self climber once and watched my buddy slide down a tree with one, needless to say that was the end of that for me. So here I am.

back to my post. The amsteel looks “worn” after only 3 uses... now this could be completely normal and I’m just so new I don’t know, but I’m a bring an extra just in case kinda guy. So now I’m contemplating running a second bridge just to ease my mind. Is this excessive, is this normal, or is it because I’m so new?

EDIT:: after many comments of same suggestion, I pushed the rope a little cut a sliver off and milked it back, just like expected she hid back in her hole. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Completely new to the saddle scene and even knew to hanging from a tree. Sat in a self climber once and watched my buddy slide down a tree with one, needless to say that was the end of that for me. So here I am.

back to my post. The amsteel looks “worn” after only 3 uses... now this could be completely normal and I’m just so new I don’t know, but I’m a bring an extra just in case kinda guy. So now I’m contemplating running a second bridge just to ease my mind. Is this excessive, is this normal, or is it because I’m so new?

Most likley what you are seeing is the buried ends fraying out. I felt uneasy at first but 1/4 inch amsteel is rated for 8000 pounds.

Last edited:
My Cruzr is arriving in a couple days. I ordered it with a rope bridge because amsteel has me dubious as well. Someone mentioned that amsteel flat spots from the biner.
Going to take me a bit to trust any bridge. will Probably attached the tail of the tether to a loop on my lineman loop...as a backup

I felt a little uneasy about amsteel as well, mainly because of the bend radius a carabiner creates being against manufacturers specs. I went the oplux/trc route and when I put it on my saddle I just left the amsteel as a backup.

I’m not trying to turn this into an amsteel debate, but I got off that train when it comes to life support.

Use what you are comfortable with. Dyneema being used for Vehicle Wench's replacing cable, I have seen 1/4 inch Dyneema lift vehicles. I have no problem using it on my bridge. Im a guy that likes to have backups, there is a point where backups introduce more complexity and restrictions in a system and create more danger then they are solving. Use what you are Comfortable with but you will have to trust your gear to use it effectively. Be safe!

After re assessing ... this confirms my suspicion, and gut feeling for roping up a second bridge... A87FD5CF-F39A-4776-AD4C-300358E0415B.jpeg8F0737A7-387D-48A4-812F-940285B960BB.jpeg2158D231-351E-4C43-ACE7-39EA7AA67868.jpeg

My Cruzr is arriving in a couple days. I ordered it with a rope bridge because amsteel has me dubious as well. Someone mentioned that amsteel flat spots from the biner.
Going to take me a bit to trust any bridge. will Probably attached the tail of the tether to a loop on my lineman loop...as a backup
That’s what I went, I did the Amstel bridge because at the time of purchasing it was an “upgrade”but after what I’m seeing it confirms my weird feeling I had up in the tree that made me pull my 8’ tether girth it one loop and prusik to the other... to make my backup bridge

What are these pics showing? Broken strands?
I’m going to assume that’s what it is, I tried my best to get a good angle but it seems every time I take the picture it just doesn’t look the same as I’m looking at it. But that was tucked underneath the prussik that came with saddle... at first I was asking because I felt uneasy with how it looks... the more I dissect the more I’m finding.

Amsteel is ends are burried since it is a hollow rope. Here is mine. I trust it with my life. Look up on how loops and splices are made with amsteel and you will understand what is going on.

Attachments

• 20201228_195651.jpg
    20201228_195651.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 94
I’m going to assume that’s what it is, I tried my best to get a good angle but it seems every time I take the picture it just doesn’t look the same as I’m looking at it. But that was tucked underneath the prussik that came with saddle... at first I was asking because I felt uneasy with how it looks... the more I dissect the more I’m finding.

I'm nearly certain that is the bury.

Grab the bury and then "milk" the outer amsteel back and you will find that you are holding onto one piece of amsteel inside of another. The amsteel "finger traps" itself with the splice.

Having said that, I don't use an amsteel bridge. I took mine off and use oplux and trc. But I just want you to try it and see for yourself.

Last edited:
Amsteel is ends are burried since it is a hollow rope. Here is mine. I trust it with my life. Look up on how loops and splices are made with amsteel and you will understand what is going on.
Jesus, idk what it is about htp that just makes me feel “safer”. You could be completely right, but I don’t know how I feel about that lol

Jesus, idk what it is about htp that just makes me feel “safer”. You could be completely right, but I don’t know how I feel about that lol

That is why you need to do some research on amsteel and how to make stuff from it. Saddle hunting is something you need to learn about your gear, its about being comfortable with it. Amsteel is a hollow rope made from Dyneema fiber. It is stronger then steel cable of the same size. It is one of the strongest fibers known. Making a knot with it decreases its strength. It is braided to make loops and ends are buried. A loop with a lock stich and 10" of buried end has the same strength as a solid section. Check it out, its really cool stuff. After you do you will not worry about using it as a bridge. You could cut 80% of the fibers on your bridge and it would hold you fine. G2 Outdoors does a test of that and other ropes on a Youtube video.

Dont take my word, check it out...

Be Safe
Dave20201228_195651.jpg

I'm nearly certain that is the bury.

Grab the bury and then "milk" the outer amsteel back and you will find that you are holding onto one piece of amsteel inside of another.

Having said that, I don't use an amsteel bridge. I took mine off and use oplux and trc. But I just want you to try it and see for yourself.
Explain the “milk” part lol I moved them apart so it wasn’t a blob of strands FF845F49-806B-4CD4-AF8D-A3B67532A84E.jpeg

That is why you need to do some research on amsteel and how to make stuff from it. Saddle hunting is something you need to learn about your gear, its about being comfortable with it. Amsteel is a hollow rope made from Dyneema fiber. It is stronger then steel cable of the same size. It is one of the strongest fibers known. Making a knot with it decreases its strength. It is braided to make loops and ends are buried. A loop with a lock stich and 10" of buried end has the same strength as a solid section. Check it out, its really cool stuff. After you do you will not worry about using it as a bridge. You could cut 80% of the fibers on your bridge and it would hold you fine. G2 Outdoors does a test of that and other ropes on a Youtube video.

Dont take my word, check it out...

Be Safe
DaveView attachment 42085
A lot definitely has to do with my ignorance. At the end of the day we all want to go home. I’ve never worked or heard of it before, but seeing it as an upgrade I did it so I could gain the confidence.it’s amazing the support this platform has, and how quick these responses are. Thankyou for your knowledge, I’m going to look this video up!

A lot definitely has to do with my ignorance. At the end of the day we all want to go home. I’ve never worked or heard of it before, but seeing it as an upgrade I did it so I could gain the confidence.it’s amazing the support this platform has, and how quick these responses are. Thankyou for your knowledge, I’m going to look this video up!
Its not a problem

Here you can see a lock stich. This is my bridge.
20201228_203947.jpg

You can see how the loom is woven. The tag end is then buried to the center of my Bridge.
20201228_203957.jpg

You can see the right size is larger in diameter then the left side where the frayed end is. this is the tag end working its way out.
Here is my bridge compared to the amsteel that is used as my Aider steps, lock my sticks and .y platform to the tree.
20201228_204008.jpg

Yep that little guy is rated for over 1000 pounds!

Dave

Back