• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Florida Deer Hunting

Radar99

HI all,

I am moving from Illinois to Florida for a two year field assignment for work. I will be in living in the suburbs of Tampa. Does anyone here deer hunt in Florida? I plan to hunt anyway but, a little info or what to expect would be helpful.

Thanks.

Southern ground podcast just did an episode about Florida. Spoiler alert its not too optimistic, but might be a starting point.

Expect to be hot and disappointed, lol. You’ll be dying to get back to Illinois. I’d be planning a annual 1-2 week trip for a rut hunt in your home state.

Hunting here is not awful if you’re used to it, but by comparison to what you’re used to it will likely be a rude awakening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are quite a few of us here hunting in Florida. The deer are significantly smaller in both body and antler. They have a seemingly infinite amount of sanctuary in monotonous swamps and young pine plantations. There are venomous snakes everywhere. You will be sweating.

But that doesn't take the enjoyment out of hunting here and it is still a blast once you adjust expectations. You can easily get away from people with a kayak, some waders, or busting some serious brush. There are some decent bucks hidden in this thick stuff. I don't make it down to the Tampa area often, but NW Florida has a lot of public land.

If you travel a little in Florida, you can chase the rut and have a very long deer hunting season.

Hog hunting season never ends on private land. The fishing is outstanding.

There is some good places like green swamp During archery I carry one back of gear plus water and another bag of water. Most of my friends hunt private land or Alabama and Georgia. Gun season and black powder (short) will be when the temp drops below 90 most years (not this one) . wMA are listed on the Florida website.

Expect to be hot and disappointed, lol. You’ll be dying to get back to Illinois. I’d be planning a annual 1-2 week trip for a rut hunt in your home state.

Hunting here is not awful if you’re used to it, but by comparison to what you’re used to it will likely be a rude awakening.

I will just be happy to be hunting. I am exciting about the fishing as well. I will probably make it back to illinois for an extended weekend. As long as I have a chance to put some meat in the freezer I will be happy.

We have a pretty liberal tag system if you can find the bucks. If you archery a bit you can get a couple does. It’s fun, it’s hunting, I grew up here doing it, it’ll just be different for you. I’m not down in the Tampa area but there public land everywhere and private too. I know Tampa area had some bad red tide issues and fish kills, extra restrictions put on the catch limit. But FL in general has tons of great fishing between fresh and salt water. You’ll have fun.

There are quite a few of us here hunting in Florida. The deer are significantly smaller in both body and antler. They have a seemingly infinite amount of sanctuary in monotonous swamps and young pine plantations. There are venomous snakes everywhere. You will be sweating.

But that doesn't take the enjoyment out of hunting here and it is still a blast once you adjust expectations. You can easily get away from people with a kayak, some waders, or busting some serious brush. There are some decent bucks hidden in this thick stuff. I don't make it down to the Tampa area often, but NW Florida has a lot of public land.

If you travel a little in Florida, you can chase the rut and have a very long deer hunting season.

Hog hunting season never ends on private land. The fishing is outstanding.

Thanks for the feedback. I am a new hunter so I don't have high expectations anyway as I am still learning. Even in Illinois public land I don't have an expectation for a huge buck to fall in my lap.

I assumed it would be hot in Florida and the deer hunting not as good but, I couldn't pass up the work assignment career/money wise. I will probably be back in Illinois in a few years.

I am willing to drive around the state for some good hunting opportunities, I have a 4 hour drive and I camp on the private land I am allowed to hunt here in Illinois.

I love to fish as well so I am going to jump into that right away.

Find a blood bank before you go to the woods around here during archery, :) else get a couple of therma cells . I am in the tampa area so drop me a pm if interested. Also check out the myfwc.com for more information on hunting and fishing in florida.

We have a pretty liberal tag system if you can find the bucks. If you archery a bit you can get a couple does. It’s fun, it’s hunting, I grew up here doing it, it’ll just be different for you. I’m not down in the Tampa area but there public land everywhere and private too. I know Tampa area had some bad red tide issues and fish kills, extra restrictions put on the catch limit. But FL in general has tons of great fishing between fresh and salt water. You’ll have fun.

Bowhunt or Die my friend. If its brown, its down.

HI all,

I am moving from Illinois to Florida for a two year field assignment for work. I will be in living in the suburbs of Tampa. Does anyone here deer hunt in Florida? I plan to hunt anyway but, a little info or what to expect would be helpful.

Thanks.
Chasing tales outdoors podcast is a good reference. One guy lives around Gainesville and the other around me in Northern Florida. If you are going public the quota draws for deer start around May 15th i believe. (gofloridaoutdoors.com) Spring turnkey quote has already ended but you can still maybe get lucky on the picking up reissues.. You could expect to pay anywhere from 5-20$ an acre for private in my area of Northern Florida. Pm me if you have any questions. Also a really cool archery hunt is St Vincent NWR around Halloween 3day hunt. You can usually just by the tag they rarely sell out. Most people that go to that are scouting for Sanbar Deer and there is some nice whitetail hunting there.

Chasing tales outdoors podcast is a good reference. One guy lives around Gainesville and the other around me in Northern Florida. If you are going public the quota draws for deer start around May 15th i believe. (gofloridaoutdoors.com) Spring turnkey quote has already ended but you can still maybe get lucky on the picking up reissues.. You could expect to pay anywhere from 5-20$ an acre for private in my area of Northern Florida. Pm me if you have any questions. Also a really cool archery hunt is St Vincent NWR around Halloween 3day hunt. You can usually just by the tag they rarely sell out. Most people that go to that are scouting for Sanbar Deer and there is some nice whitetail hunting there.

Thanks for the info! I will check out the chasing tails podcast. I listen to podcasts at work alot so I will queue it up.

I plan on going back to illinois for spring turkey. My uncle owns some private land in southern illinois and there is quite a bit of turkey in the area. I am already getting excited about it actually.

I will put the public quota draw for deer on my calender for may 15th, I will double check the florida DNR site. I will defintely check out the St. Vincent hunt. I will PM you in the summer months some time and see if you would like to join me for that hunt. I am always looking for a hunting partner.

I'm in Lakeland, fl. You have the right attitude to hunt FL. Enjoy the woods/ swamp. Snakeboots are a must, Thermocell is a must, and a good mode of navigation is a must. I use ONX and it is phenomenal. Prior to that I used a Garmin 62stc, prior to that an old green screen Garmin 10 I think, prior to that good old compass and map. I still have a compass in my gear. Swamp can turn you around in a heartbeat.

Find a blood bank before you go to the woods around here during archery, :) else get a couple of therma cells . I am in the tampa area so drop me a pm if interested. Also check out the myfwc.com for more information on hunting and fishing in florida.

I will definitely drop you a PM. I am always looking to connect with fellow hunters/fisherman.

I'm in Lakeland, fl. You have the right attitude to hunt FL. Enjoy the woods/ swamp. Snakeboots are a must, Thermocell is a must, and a good mode of navigation is a must. I use ONX and it is phenomenal. Prior to that I used a Garmin 62stc, prior to that an old green screen Garmin 10 I think, prior to that good old compass and map. I still have a compass in my gear. Swamp can turn you around in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the tips. I do not want to get lost in a Florida swamp. It’s easy enough to get turned around anywhere, heck, I got turned around two weekends ago on public land in Illinois. I will take your advice though, snake boots, thermocell for mossies and a navigation tool.

Thanks for the tips. I do not want to get lost in a Florida swamp. It’s easy enough to get turned around anywhere, heck, I got turned around two weekends ago on public land in Illinois. I will take your advice though, snake boots, thermocell for mossies and a navigation tool.

The swamps can definitely be dangerous. I'd take two navigation tools. Phone/GPS and a compass. I've seen it play out several times where guys (myself included) walk in in daylight and cross shallow water with waders. They then have a very hard time finding that shallower cross point in the dark when trying to get out. It all looks the same with the water. I keep a couple of reflective tacks in my bag and mark the cross points so it's easy to find in the dark. I collect them on my way out.

The swamps are no joke.

You definitely have to be willing to sit in the heat otherwise you’ll miss 99% of the season. Some evening hunts this past year were in the 100+ heat index but our deer are used to it. It can be some of the toughest hunting you’ve ever done but if/when you can get it done on public in Fl it’s so rewarding. Thermacell is a must. You’ll regret forgetting it almost instantly. Snake boots are good insurance for sure.

Florida makes up for the small deer with hogs turkey and big fish. That said not all Florida deer are tiny. The kill respectable deer in all of Florida but north Florida, particularly Hamilton and Madison hold some really good deer. Like even good for Illinois deer. They just aren’t behind every tree.

Florida makes up for the small deer with hogs turkey and big fish. That said not all Florida deer are tiny. The kill respectable deer in all of Florida but north Florida, particularly Hamilton and Madison hold some really good deer. Like even good for Illinois deer. They just aren’t behind every tree.

25C7A098-5B4E-4BA8-8787-37D04EDEFE1C.jpeg
You are correct. These are not mine but a friend sent the pic.

Back