• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

game cart recommendations?

raisins

SH Member
I'm thinking about picking this up for when I won't be on a lot of side hills with a deer and don't want to pack it out.

Any experience with this one or a recommendation on a better one?

I just want reasonably light and sturdy. You can get a netting kit to keep stuff from falling through the slats.

You should stop having such thoughts. No method I am aware of is easier or more efficient than in a pack other than being able to drive up to the dead critter. Folks very well may "want" a cart but they "need" a good pack.
Sorry. That doesn't apply to everyone as my state requires that the animal must come out of the woods in one piece.

Sorry. That doesn't apply to everyone as my state requires that the animal must come out of the woods in one piece.
Forgot there are states that require that. I would be seeing about trying to get that crap changed. Outside of the game and fish doing a tissue sample project on every deer killed, there is no reason for such a rule.

I have a similar cart. It is difficult to use as there is a degree of difficulty because you have to balance tha cart, with just two wheels it is always heavier on one side. I haven't used one but I wonder if something like the hawk crawler would be easier to use.

Looks alot like my old Warren & Sweat.
Since it is one of the few made in the USA, I would go with it.
My only caution is you may want to replace any quick link attachments with bolts.

Forgot there are states that require that. I would be seeing about trying to get that crap changed. Outside of the game and fish doing a tissue sample project on every deer killed, there is no reason for such a rule.
Dead deer carcasses on public land where people can hike maybe? i dunno. We can pack out in MD. I would rather not. I like to let my deer hang whole for a week before i butcher. Prevents any shortening/ loss of meat

Dead deer carcasses on public land where people can hike maybe? i dunno. We can pack out in MD. I would rather not. I like to let my deer hang whole for a week before i butcher. Prevents any shortening/ loss of meat
I think that is one reason. I like to let them hang as long as possible also. They do let you quarter moose to get them out now which is understandable if you have ever shot one.

might be to keep people from shooting a buck and then hiding the head and then packing out a deer (edit: doe) head with the meat? so anti poaching

similar to how in wv you cannot put down a car struck wounded deer but must call LEO, because they are afraid people will shoot with a rifle first and then run over with truck to make it look legit

most people ignore that law and put animals out of their misery though.....

Last edited:
I think that is one reason. I like to let them hang as long as possible also. They do let you quarter moose to get them out now which is understandable if you have ever shot one.
Maybe cooler climate in the northern states has something to do with carcasses remining longer. Around here a quartered deer is bones in a week. This makes it tough on someone who needs to go truly far back to avoid pressure. I've never hung a deer to let it age either. It would rarely be cold enough here. It's always interesting to hear about how other people go about things.

Having the two wheels on each side of the Hawk Crawler was a big difference maker for me when I hauled a buck up a hill and out of the woods with several downed trees in the way by myself this year. I’ll take the extra weight of the cart for the extra wheels and ability to maneuver up and over things easier.

I’ve never used a four wheel cart, nor have I gone really seriously off-roading with this one, but as far as lightweight quality design goes, it’s a real good choice. I have one w no complaints.

Around my area it’s more so due to coyotes. The deer around here tend to stay close to houses. A good buddy of mine has a theory of “if you find a good spot and see a house from the tree you’ll kill plenty of deer”

Having the two wheels on each side of the Hawk Crawler was a big difference maker for me when I hauled a buck up a hill and out of the woods with several downed trees in the way by myself this year. I’ll take the extra weight of the cart for the extra wheels and ability to maneuver up and over things easier.
I've tried several & the hawk crawler is this best I've found. Go's through sand, mud & over downed
timber with ease. Problem I have with most of the carts is the balance. Any time you need to stop for
a minute you either have to find something to try to prop the cart against, & hope it stays, or just lower
the handle to the ground causing you to have to reorganize everything to get going again. With the
crawler the 4 wheels make a huge difference. Pretty hard to beat for ease of use & distributing weight
evenly.

I use a similar cart that I have had for several years, however, mine is made of square tubing. I like mine and it works well. I have an old Trophyline pouch that I keep attached to it with ratchet straps, and extra bolts etc............, Mines lasted several years and hauled a handful of deer out I also keep one of the "hard sleds" in the back my truck as well, and will frequently use both at the same time to get a deer out.

I'm thinking about picking this up for when I won't be on a lot of side hills with a deer and don't want to pack it out.

Any experience with this one or a recommendation on a better one?

I just want reasonably light and sturdy. You can get a netting kit to keep stuff from falling through the slats.
There is some good info in this old thread…

I like my toboggans. It's often snowy where I hunt, and muddy when it isn't. I used a cheapo Muddy game cart that was entirely inadequate to the task. Picked one up at the local Fleet store, the other up at Menards.

That said, a game cart you can haul behind at ATV or something can be very useful, hauling a wide range of things besides deer.

I have one similar to what you posted. It is a square tubing version. I replaced all pins with bolts. Can no longer fold it, but the play the pins allowed made rough terrain even more jarring on my arms. I've also replaced the wheels. One of the original plastic spoke wheels dug into the sand while turning slightly. Destroyed those plastic spokes. I replaced with wheelbarrow tires. I don't have as much clearance, but sand is no longer a problem. I've probably been running my cart for close to 15 years now. Still gets the job done and is better than dragging IMO.

Back