• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Handgun Hunting

HomeTownJB

I love firearms, but I've never been much into hunting for whitetails with a firearm. I always seem to pick up my bow. I think this new toy may change my mind . I got her sighted in today, and I am painting targets out to 100 easy. This is a joy to shoot. I will likely keep my shots on deer around 50 and under though. I topped it with a Leupold VX3. Nice change of pace from bow hunting. The bridge creates a perfect rest and I got a nice chest rig to keep it close by.
20428d9676c9298f2f135661343b2d45.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I like that I been thinking of handgun hunting the past couple years that looks like it it would be perfect for what I need

I’ve been looking for that same gun! Seen it once and let it go, next time I see one it will end up in my safe. Super nice setup man! I’m jelly on that one. Handgun hunting is awesome. Got my first doe with one this year. You get more of he thrill of bow hunting since they have to be close.

Looks nice! I’m running iron sights on a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44mag. Still haven’t got to kill with it. Good luck to you!

I don’t know much about handgun hunting what would be a good gun that can fit a scope and not have the bank break me ? (meaning my wife LOL)

It’s kind of hard to not break the bank with one honestly. You can find a cheaper gun but then you’ll add the price of a mount and a scope. I bought a Ruger gp100 which is a medium priced gun I feel like. Then I added a mount and a red dot. Which drove the price up.
Glock MOS 6” in 10mm
Ruger Gp100
I’d say Taurus has one
Smith and Wesson but probably gonna be more expensive
Also could sub a scope out for a red dot and probably save some money their.
You can probably piece one together like Jonny cash and hide the total price that way.

I have a GP100 in .357. Was thinking about taking it for a spin in the deer woods. I assume I’m looking for the same thing in ammo as a rifle? Something expanding but not exploding. Any recommendations out there on factory ammo?

I don’t know much about handgun hunting what would be a good gun that can fit a scope and not have the bank break me ? (meaning my wife LOL)

There are some options. Ruger Blackhawks can be found for a reasonable price. If you with an optic go with a good one. The leupold vx3 is great but pricey. A simple 2 power will work or an ultra dot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a GP100 in .357. Was thinking about taking it for a spin in the deer woods. I assume I’m looking for the same thing in ammo as a rifle? Something expanding but not exploding. Any recommendations out there on factory ammo?
I’ve only used one so I can’t say too much like some probably can. I used and was recommend a jacketed hollow point. Got a full pass through on a doe. I’d like to find something else to try as well. Mainly with a semi small hole want something that’s gonna stay together and get a pass through so u have the odds for a better blood trail. I’m new to gun hunting so I recommend but only have limited experience. Hopefully some other guys have used several and reply

Any of the common 140-158 grain JHP or FMJ type of ammo would work. Barnes, Hornady, CCI, Fiocchi, Federal.

But it's an investment! I agree, you can find a Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk for a decent price if you keep an eye out. Taurus Raging Bull or a plain S&W 629 are also good options. For close range, a Glock 20 would work as well, that's less than $600. You could put a semi decent red dot on it (would need a new slide or some gunsmithing to the stock slide) and be all in for less than $1K.

The only 2 things I would say with the 357 is practice a lot, and don’t skimp on quality ammo. Better to go with a slower heavier bullet than a light screamer. Because of the smaller diameter you want something that is going to hold together, expand reliably, and make 2 holes.

i hate recoil in handguns

what's the recoil like in a large 44 mag like that? comparable to a mid sized 357 magnum?

Dad has a nice S&W 44 mag stainless model. I always shot the hornady leverevolution ammo out of it, usually carried with his marlin lever gun in 44 mag.

Dad has a nice S&W 44 mag stainless model. I always shot the hornady leverevolution ammo out of it, usually carried with his marlin lever gun in 44 mag.
I also prefer the Hornady rounds. They stay together well and expand a bit before they blow out the other side. I shoot a Ruger Super Redhawk 7 1/2" barrel and have taken an 8 pt. and two does with it. It makes a great saddle weapon.

i hate recoil in handguns

what's the recoil like in a large 44 mag like that? comparable to a mid sized 357 magnum?

Obviously recoil is subjective. 44 is not bad. 357 is snappy muzzle shoots up a bit and it’s loud. 41 is the sweet spot but almost like finding a four leaf clover. My biggest tip is to not try and fight the recoil. Just let it do it’s thing and control the firearm up and then settle back in.

Don’t forget about the Thompson Center Contenders or the Encore! Single shot pistols but they are extremely accurate! You can buy the frame and swap out different caliber barrels. You can also turn it into a rifle by getting a full size stock and fore end. All kinds of options. I have a Contender pistol with a 14” barrel in 30-30. It’s topped with a T/C 2-7 power scope. The furthest I ever shot it was 150 yards at a range. It shot 1” groups @150 yards but that was on sandbags. I shot my largest buck with it, 160” 8pt @ 95 yards. I see some for sale at gun shows ranging from $700-$850 asking price.

Screenshot_20211009-194534_Gallery.jpg

^^^ I've blasted a lot of critters with my .44.
I love that gun!

Last edited:
Don’t forget about the Thompson Center Contenders or the Encore! Single shot pistols but they are extremely accurate! You can buy the frame and swap out different caliber barrels. You can also turn it into a rifle by getting a full size stock and fore end. All kinds of options. I have a Contender pistol with a 14” barrel in 30-30. It’s topped with a T/C 2-7 power scope. The furthest I ever shot it was 150 yards at a range. It shot 1” groups @150 yards but that was on sandbags. I shot my largest buck with it, 160” 8pt @ 95 yards. I see some for sale at gun shows ranging from $700-$850 asking price.

I agree with this. They are tougher to find right now. The contender is nice with center fire and rim fire selector in hammer and a lot of nice options. And quite handy and light. I have a 45/410 that is a pretty handy little small game getter.

Back