• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Heater Body suit/ IWOM

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
So has anyone had any success using a heater body suit or IWOM in a saddle style stand? I've heard great things about these systems but don't really see how they would work in a saddle. If anyone has had experience I'd love to hear it!

Sniper4hire said:
Not trying to curve the thread from topic but before anyone buys a heater body suit they should check out the "Warmbag" Same price but twice as good. Have a look and you'll see why.

Definitely not curving the conversation. Any experience with it and could it work in a saddle? I see that it is waterproof, has armholes unzipped with a pull cord inside and a zipper on the bottom to keep your feet out for walking if you need to. I would guess that last part would allow you to stand on your platform.
http://www.realtree.com/camo-products/the-warmbag

Exactly. It can be pulled up around the knees and cinched off so you can walk as well. Its reversible, so you get two camo schemes to boot! Its much lighter and less bulky, yet warm as toast. This thing was very well thought out. It comes in an over the shoulder carry bag so you can put it on at the stand with incredible ease. They are literally the same price as the HBS and twice the value IMO.

Dwaters,
Actually no. I mentioned in another post I typically revert to ground hunting after the rut here in MI when the weather gets hard to deal with for long sits. But understanding the dynamics of saddle hunting, I guarantee that you will be much better served with a Warmbag in a saddle hunt.

If any has the areo and IWOM and would try to see how it works before I drop 300.00 buck for one. I have the standhunter extreme parka and bibs but this looks less bulky.

I have the standhunter extreme coveralls. They do the job and are nice and warm but I agree that they are a bit bulky. I strap them to the back of my pack to pack in to the stand and then put them on at the base of my tree. I just have to make sure that I keep it from bunching up and hitting my string when I draw back.

I'm going to bump this back up to the top. I have done a lot of looking at the iwom system. After talking to Allen (at iwom) I really think I can make it work with the aero. I bought one yesterday. It should be here Tuesday. I
Believe I can wear the aero under it and have small holes for the bridge to come through since I have my
Where I can remove it from one of the paws with a caribiner. After I do some testing I will let everyone know my results.

Dwaters416 said:
I'm going to bump this back up to the top. I have done a lot of looking at the iwom system. After talking to Allen (at iwom) I really think I can make it work with the aero. I bought one yesterday. It should be here Tuesday. I
Believe I can wear the aero under it and have small holes for the bridge to come through since I have my
Where I can remove it from one of the paws with a caribiner. After I do some testing I will let everyone know my results.

Awesome! Can't wait to hear the results! If it works take some pics for us :D

I have used the HBS out of a fixed position tree stand and it worked great but I don't imagine you could use it while hunting from the saddle for several reasons. First you'd have to put it on under the saddle and it quite bulky so you'd have to have a saddle that was big enough to go over the HBS, unless you try and wear it over the saddle but that presents a whole different set of problems. Second then you'd have to climb with the HBS on, it covers your feet and comes with booties to go over your boots, not only would it be a real task climbing this way but you risk ripping the fabric while climbing. Third if you did make it up without damaging the suit you still would be standing on and moving around with the suit fabric on your steps and while it might be quiet you still run the risk of ripping the fabric or wearing holes in it moving around on the steps while on stand. Finally if you put the saddle on first and then the HBS over it the tie off point is as far as you'll be able to zip it and if you put the saddle on the outside depending on how high up it sits on you it may interfere with the top falling away like it should.

I don't own a warm bag but my buddy does and the bottom is squared off I don't know if it would be possible to use that with a saddle at all. I would get some really good cold weather clothing I have Arctic Shield bibs, Jacket, and Booties. Also John Eberhart's hunting video gave a great tip grabber hand warmers that stick on and putting them along your kidney area and other colds spots to keep you warm and allow you to wear clothes that are a little less bulky.

If you felt like experimenting get an old surplus army sleeping bag and modify it to your needs, that I believe is what lead to the current HBS guys taking sleeping bags and putting suspenders on them in places like Canada when Whitetail hunting, I saw it in Chales Alsheimers book Whitetails I believe. I hope this helps.

Roger

I have the arctic shield bibs. I find to benefit from them you don't want to much bulk underneath. I also picked up an expedition grade parka at a customs warehouse. It is blue but I wear a blaze jacket over it. The hand warmers work. If I can't find the adhesive ones, I put on a cycling shirt with pockets on the back and drop in some hand warmers. I've never been warmer. I hunt from a large TS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the HBS and there's no way you could hunt from the saddle with that thing. Actually, you probably could do it, but I think you'd lose all the versatility that makes the saddle such an attractive option. If it's cold enough to use an HBS (<mid-30s for me) I'll hunt out of fixed stand or my climber. The tree saddle FOR ME is a warm weather hunting system.

Got my iwom today and my first thought is wow. This thing is so much lighter than my cabelas standhunter parka not even adding the bibs in there. I put it on and it fit very well. It's very warm and well though out. I believe it will work with the evolution. I will have to add more steps to my platform but I think I can manage with it. I will do some testing and let you guys know the results by this weekend hopefully.

Can't wait! I have the standhunter coveralls so I know what you are talking about with the weight.

Ok guys I got my iwom last Tuesday. I'm 6'0 tall barefooted so when I tried it on it was to short. I called Mr Allen and he shipped my a longer one to let me pick which size I want and put a return label in the box to ship the one I don't need back. That's great customer service.

I haven't had a lot of time to because it's to hot. 10 min in the suit and I'm soaking wet with sweat. It will work with the evoultion. I first put the saddle on like I usually do. I have my bridge on my saddle removeable on one side. I then put the iwom on like a parka. The iwom have 2 side pockets to get to your inside pants pockets. I run the bridge through the hole on the right side and pull the paw through the left side and hook my bridge. I then pull the iwom all the way down and zip my feet in. After I'm zipped in I slide the blakes hitch on my tree strap up to where I need it. This suit is so much lighter the the standhunter bibs and parka I had. You can wear it as a parka or fully I closed. I will try to attach some pics if I can figure out how

Back