• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Help me pick a different arrow

Dmathews87

Ive been shooting FMJs (which im sure plenty of you will dump on) but ive never had any issues...other than they just get too expensive to shoot so im looking at other options that are most cost effective and still allow me to go a bit heavier. I like TAW to be around 450gr and shoot 60lbs at 27.5in. What you guys like? Im eyeing some black eagle and maybe even gold tips.

I started shooting Sirius archery arrows a couple of years ago. Been extremely satisfied with their service and quality. They offer several grades of different diameter arrows which are fully customizable or stock builds. This close to the season, you may have to pay an expediting fee to get the customized arrows within a reasonable time. If you go with their full customization option - the arrows come with a Lifetime Hunting Warranty.

I started shooting Sirius archery arrows a couple of years ago. Been extremely satisfied with their service and quality. They offer several grades of different diameter arrows which are fully customizable or stock builds. This close to the season, you may have to pay an expediting fee to get the customized arrows within a reasonable time. If you go with their full customization option - the arrows come with a Lifetime Hunting Warranty.

I still got enough arrows for the season, im just planning out my next build...Ive seen sirius mentioned with ranch fairy but havent looked at them too much...will have to take a look...

I’m still using my CC maxima hunters, I got dozens of shafts a few years back and I still have a lot that aren’t even fletched. I like them but they don’t make these anymore I forgot what the new ones called.

Ive been shooting FMJs (which im sure plenty of you will dump on) but ive never had any issues...other than they just get too expensive to shoot so im looking at other options that are most cost effective and still allow me to go a bit heavier. I like TAW to be around 450gr and shoot 60lbs at 27.5in. What you guys like? Im eyeing some black eagle and maybe even gold tips.

Try the Easton axis long range (i use match grade for a buck or two extra per shaft). and put a steel footer at the business end. Ethics archery outsert system. They are lighter where you want it and let you add the weight up front to get you to your 450 with more FOC than the FMJ's could ever get close to. Ive tried a lot of dif shafts and the new axis long range has been great with steel sleeve to keep the front true. Aluminum inserts or halfouts will bend just enough over time to wobble your broadhead after multiple shots even on a target.

You can get 1 dozen shafts on ebay for a pretty good price. The black eagle carnivores are a good arrow too. I got used to the .166 shafts though and have been happy with the results. Only issue has been lighted nocks. not alot of options in the .166/.165 range. i get better FOC without a lighted nock anyway and got used to hunting without them.
.204 opens up a lot more options.

Do you fletch and build your own arrows?

have you ever put your FMJ's on a good arrow spinner after theyve been used a bunch of times?
The black eagle carnivores stay spinning really true. Once i burn through this last batch of axis shafts i may switch to those. They are really a great bang for the buck shaft. Im sure sirius is great too but its a pricey build and i know im going to lose/break arrows where i hunt.

definitely check ebay for bare shaft deals though. often times you can get the best price there on whatever you want to try. probably not Sirius though

Try the Easton axis long range (i use match grade for a buck or two extra per shaft). and put a steel footer at the business end. Ethics archery outsert system. They are lighter where you want it and let you add the weight up front to get you to your 450 with more FOC than the FMJ's could ever get close to. Ive tried a lot of dif shafts and the new axis long range has been great with steel sleeve to keep the front true. Aluminum inserts or halfouts will bend just enough over time to wobble your broadhead after multiple shots even on a target.

You can get 1 dozen shafts on ebay for a pretty good price. The black eagle carnivores are a good arrow too. I got used to the .166 shafts though and have been happy with the results. Only issue has been lighted nocks. not alot of options in the .166/.165 range. i get better FOC without a lighted nock anyway and got used to hunting without them.
.204 opens up a lot more options.

Do you fletch and build your own arrows?

I have been building my arrows in the past but i get lazy and can usually get good results with pre-fletched so im not picky in that regard. I have spun my fmjs and still have one in my quiver that has passed through a deer with no obvious dents or wobble.

I have been building my arrows in the past but i get lazy and can usually get good results with pre-fletched so im not picky in that regard. I have spun my fmjs and still have one in my quiver that has passed through a deer with no obvious dents or wobble.
it wont be obvious. But if you spin it and its got even a slight wobble at the tip, its gonna mess it up with a fixed blade on it at 30 yds. ive found that aluminum half outs were giving me this problem after a lot of shots and switched to steel footers on all my shafts

nothing wrong with buying pre-fletched as long as its done right. You can usually cut down on cost a good bit if you do it yourself though. it lets me build out .001 shafts for the price of fletched .003 straightness.

Do you use fixed blade or mechanical heads?

it wont be obvious. But if you spin it and its got even a slight wobble at the tip, its gonna mess it up with a fixed blade on it at 30 yds. ive found that aluminum half outs were giving me this problem after a lot of shots and switched to steel footers on all my shafts

nothing wrong with buying pre-fletched as long as its done right. You can usually cut down on cost a good bit if you do it yourself though. it lets me build out .001 shafts for the price of fletched .003 straightness.

Do you use fixed blade or mechanical heads?

Fixed blade. magnus stingers

Same. im at 550 TAW with 150 stingers and 110gn outsert system. you could easily get down to 450 with the axis long range and still use a steel sleeve/footer.

Keep telling myself to go heavier..have absolutely no reason to lol other than i just want to...part of me is saying go 340 spine with my 125gr heads and a 75-100gr insert...450 is just flying really well for me and our deer arent that big lol

For cost effective arrows it’s really hard to beat Axis. You may have to cut from both ends but they are solid. Black Eagle is another good choice. I would suggest a nock collar or bushing nock with the rampage but that’s easy.
Or, hop on Camofire right now and buy some of the bloodsport arrows on there right now.

I got some Black Eagle crossbow executioner bolts a while back. Good carbon. But seems they skimped or had some issues with the glue. Few vanes have come of to easily.

Keep telling myself to go heavier..have absolutely no reason to lol other than i just want to...part of me is saying go 340 spine with my 125gr heads and a 75-100gr insert...450 is just flying really well for me and our deer arent that big lol

I think 450 is fine for whitetails. Im slowly lowering my weight each year from 665 a few years ago. might switch my heads to 100gn this year and try 500. I shoot 62lbs at 29" draw. my shafts are 300s though so i dont know how well they would fly. still have 6 uncut 300spine axis 4mm pro shafts waiting so it might be a while before i switch it up again. i have too many piles of arrows from switching things so many times

@Dmathews87
Gold Tips have their internal weight system, that makes tuning easy and getting the highest FOC easier too. :)
Keep in mind that a shorter and stiffer arrow will penetrate better.

For my compound I use Gold Tip Hunter XT 300 spine, at 27" with a 100 gr. brass insert, 150 gr. field tip and 3" feathers. This arrow setup has a TAW of 525 with a 22% FOC. My compound is an Elite Ritual 30, at 57# at 29" DL. :cool: I like single bevel Grizzly and Steel Force broadheads, but I also use Magnus BuzzCut and Black Hornet broadheads too. I always sharpen any broadhead, out of the package! Sometimes it's just a matter of spending a little time on a board mounted leather strop, to get that mirrored razor edge.
ER 1.jpg

I've been using a heavy arrow with a high FOC for 3 years and will never go back to any thing lighter, for speed or flat trajectory. :) I don't take a shot at anything without using a laser rangefinder, so speed and flat trajectory doesn't mean anything for me. I know the yardage, set my pin and take the shot. *** The best thing about this type of setup is pass thru shots and watching the deer fall within sight!!! :cool:

For my ILF recurve, I use Gold Tip Tradtional 500 spine, at 29" with a 250 gr. field tip and 4" feathers. This arrow setup has a TAW of 540 and a 23.3% FOC. My Hoyt Satori 19" riser has Uukha Gobi short limbs, at 45#, which makes for a 60" bow length. I use the same broadheads for this bow setup, as I do for my compound. :)
Z Satori 1.jpg

@Dmathews87
Gold Tips have their internal weight system, that makes tuning easy and getting the highest FOC easier too. :)
Keep in mind that a shorter and stiffer arrow will penetrate better.

For my compound I use Gold Tip Hunter XT 300 spine, at 27" with a 100 gr. brass insert, 150 gr. field tip and 3" feathers. This arrow setup has a TAW of 525 with a 22% FOC. My compound is an Elite Ritual 30, at 57# at 29" DL. :cool: I like single bevel Grizzly and Steel Force broadheads, but I also use Magnus BuzzCut and Black Hornet broadheads too. I always sharpen any broadhead, out of the package! Sometimes it's just a matter of spending a little time on a board mounted leather strop, to get that mirrored razor edge.
View attachment 90301

I've been using a heavy arrow with a high FOC for 3 years and will never go back to any thing lighter, for speed or flat trajectory. :) I don't take a shot at anything without using a laser rangefinder, so speed and flat trajectory doesn't mean anything for me. I know the yardage, set my pin and take the shot. *** The best thing about this type of setup is pass thru shots and watching the deer fall within sight!!! :cool:

For my ILF recurve, I use Gold Tip Tradtional 500 spine, at 29" with a 250 gr. field tip and 4" feathers. This arrow setup has a TAW of 540 and a 23.3% FOC. My Hoyt Satori 19" riser has Uukha Gobi short limbs, at 45#, which makes for a 60" bow length. I use the same broadheads for this bow setup, as I do for my compound. :)
View attachment 90300

Those are the exact gold tip shafts i was eyeing

Back