• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How high above final step is your platform?

mattfish

I’m playing around with my climbing system trying to develop what I’m comfortable using. I’m going back and forth between using aiders or not. Seems the higher I go the less I like the idea of an aider.

Right now I am using four full length Lone Wolf sticks. I have Slomo’s slings on order to try those as aiders.

My question is how high above the last step on your system do you set your platform? Do you set the platform below the top of your last stick, above it, or even with it.

Please give details on the exchange from stick to platform. Do you just use the tree to stabilize yourself or just step over onto the platform.

I leave about a foot between my last step and my ros/platform. This leaves me an easy step up, and if my platform were to fail I can put a foot on my highest step to help recover.

I always tether in with one foot on my highest step, and one resting on my platform. That way I'm strapped in and ready to rock when I commit weight to the platform/ros.

About a foot, 2 max, my steps on my sticks are 22 inches and I can’t stretch more than that. 1 foot is very comfortable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mostly use bolts but same concept applies...I actually like my top step to be slightly higher than my platform, and its on me weak side. On my strong side is 1 Ameristep (and I'd like to try a squirrel step) on the strap.
These 2 steps allow better slow-movement control when stepping 1 foot off the platform for 360 shots. Yeah, I can shoot 360 without those steps but movement around the tree isn't as slow or under total control.
Having the steps higher than the platform also makes it easier to move back onto the platform. And as I travel around the tree, my tether is essentially becoming shorter so the last thing I want is to step DOWN to the step. I've actually had trouble reaching my foot to a lower step but never to a higher step.

I use a Predator platform and WE stepps with a K/S. I like my platform about 2 feet above my last step. I attach my tether to the tree and use it to pull my self up onto the platform. That way I'm tethered in before I step up.

I leave about a foot between my last step and my ros/platform. This leaves me an easy step up, and if my platform were to fail I can put a foot on my highest step to help recover.

I always tether in with one foot on my highest step, and one resting on my platform. That way I'm strapped in and ready to rock when I commit weight to the platform/ros.
I do it the exact same way.

I`m usually about a foot above and a bit to the strong side . I stand on my top step attach my tethr flip my platform down and step on .

With a ring of steps I put mine about a foot and a half above my platform. I set my tether as high as I can reach them kind of sit down into my saddle as I’m steppingstones my onto a step. Then stand up on the step and adjust tether. The height is usually right but I’ll shorten the length some and I am ready to hunt. I started keeping my five step aider with me and have the option to get another 5 feet with my platform but seldom do it.

Thks for the reply’s and references to other threads.

I have been practicing nightly with my sticks and homemade aiders. I have the slings SloMo showed us coming tonight. So I will add my tie wraps to them and start using them.

I really haven’t added the platform into my practice sessions as I was focusing on getting comfortable with aiders. Standing on top step thinking of the transfer over to platform, got me thinking about the potential to get little higher. Wanted to make sure I was doing it safely if at all possible.

Not to be a jag but since I use the WE with 5 step aider my last step tends to be the middle one of my ring. Not a true "step" per the question but it eventually becomes part of my platform.

Thks for the reply’s and references to other threads.

I have been practicing nightly with my sticks and homemade aiders. I have the slings SloMo showed us coming tonight. So I will add my tie wraps to them and start using them.

I really haven’t added the platform into my practice sessions as I was focusing on getting comfortable with aiders. Standing on top step thinking of the transfer over to platform, got me thinking about the potential to get little higher. Wanted to make sure I was doing it safely if at all possible.
I think it's always a good idea to attach to the tether with little to no slack before stepping onto your platform. That will give you the safety factor before stepping onto the platform. Then if for some reason your platform should kick out or fail your not just relying on your linesman belt.

So my question becomes when using a 5 step aider do you set the platform as high as you can reach from your second to last step? Then you set your step at basically the same elevation as the platform attach your aider and climb? I’ve become very proficient at working with the wild edge stepps, but the platform portion has been rather difficult to do quickly and efficiently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is flush with my top step and 90° the left. That allows me to use the top step for shots behind me.
Exactly how I set up. Using my Predator platform and the top step on my Beast stick allows me to easily pivot 360 degrees if needed.

dpennington not sure if you have seen this video. It’s a saddle hunter using wild edge steps and platform. Not sure if it’s helpful or even would be something your comfortable doing.

Back