• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How high is your first stick starting out?

bigbuck247

Trying to decide if I want aiders yet. Using Hawk Minis (20") and each stick is basically getting you 18" so if you do another 18" space between each stick and 24-30" off the ground to start I am only getting maybe 13-14' to the platform which maybe fine if I have cover. Just wondering if maybe I am getting more space between sticks than that or if maybe my first stick is starting off taller than I am thinking. Unfortunately I don't have a tree nearby that I can really test it in or I would just do that.

FYI this is my first time using a saddle or even climbing sticks for that matter as I have always hunted ladder stands.

I have a cut down novix stick with a 2 step 15 inch aider and I’m at roughly 6ft. With my other three sticks when I’m not over stretching I’m right around 18ft

Lots of deer get killed from 14'. I've killed from that height and that's ideal for where I like to hunt. Find a good tree canopy with a branch or two and you'll have really good shot angles.
Exactly! I really like the 12 to 16 foot shot angles with my recurve. It doesn't make as much difference with the .44 Magnum or the 12 Ga. but the lower poundage bows kill better at less height IMO.

If you want to space your sticks out much more you will need aiders, or to use one of the carry as you go/wearable systems like the Knaider/swaider. Your limiting factor will be how high you can comfortably step, while geared up. Having the bottom step 30" of the ground is too high for me and I'm 6'2. Time to start getting those sticks on a tree and practicing, good luck and remember your safety matters more than getting an extra foot or two higher.

I always use my knee height as a guide whether I'm using an aider or just sticks. If using an aider, the bottom step of the aider is knee height from the ground or the stick I'm standing on. If not using an aider, the bottom step of my next stick is knee height.

I find that's a comfortable distance to lift my leg whether I'm wearing shorts or bundled up for cold weather.

I always use my knee height as a guide whether I'm using an aider or just sticks. If using an aider, the bottom step of the aider is knee height from the ground or the stick I'm standing on. If not using an aider, the bottom step of my next stick is knee height.

I find that's a comfortable distance to lift my leg whether I'm wearing shorts or bundled up for cold weather.
I have a similar system, I know if my beast sticks have the top step at shoulder level the bottom of the cable aider is steppable. My suspicions are the OP will work out a helium mini/leg length routine as well.

Also remember the climb doen-its almost always easier to stretch up to a step than to lower a toe down to stretch to a too-far step in my opinion. The bottom stick being far from the ground may necessitate hopping down

Hey bud, welcome to the Saddle world. It’s helped me a ton. First thing I’d say over which aider is make sure you’re using a lineman’s belt while climbing. Also this can’t keep you from falling but it will help you.
Anyways I can get my first stick around 6-7 feet in the air. You can lay a stick up against the tree and step in it, then step onto your next stick. That helps some. As far as aiders I like cable aiders. I can get around 20’ with 4 sticks and cable aiders. I found the other multistep aiders would work on one tree and not the next. Still toying with them though. If you haven’t climbed much take your time and set each stick perfectly. Plenty of videos on YouTube to instruct on the proper way.

It sucks not having a tree at home to practice with but you definitely want to spend some time in the saddle getting comfortable in the daylight before the season starts. A buddy of mine bought a saddle mid season last year because I wouldn't stop talking about how much I loved it. He tried it for 30 minutes and declared it stupid fad. Didn't feel like arguing with him that he didn't really devote that much time to it, simply said yea it's not for everyone

I've used hawk minis for 2 seasons with one of DanOs cable aiders permantly attached to my bottom stick. Using four sticks I get up about 15 feet, and then stand on the top stick and set my predator another 12 inches higher. So it gets me up higher.

It sucks not having a tree at home to practice with but you definitely want to spend some time in the saddle getting comfortable in the daylight before the season starts. A buddy of mine bought a saddle mid season last year because I wouldn't stop talking about how much I loved it. He tried it for 30 minutes and declared it stupid fad. Didn't feel like arguing with him that he didn't really devote that much time to it, simply said yea it's not for everyone

Yes I plan to get back out and practice shooting and climbing atleast a couple of times before the season starts here and I will 100% always be using a lineman's belt and tether once up to hunting height. Not a huge fan of heights to begin with so that part is a no brainer for me. Hoping my saddle gets here this week and can get out this weekend some. I leave for a Colorado bear/elk hunt 2 weeks from today so I would like to get one run in before we go and then atleast one run with it after we get back but before our October 1st opener here in Oklahoma.

Yes I plan to get back out and practice shooting and climbing atleast a couple of times before the season starts here and I will 100% always be using a lineman's belt and tether once up to hunting height. Not a huge fan of heights to begin with so that part is a no brainer for me. Hoping my saddle gets here this week and can get out this weekend some. I leave for a Colorado bear/elk hunt 2 weeks from today so I would like to get one run in before we go and then atleast one run with it after we get back but before our October 1st opener here in Oklahoma.
A recommendation. Practice in the dark as well. It is different.

Bottom step is about even with my kneecap. Will adjust to account for branches or other irregularities on the trunk. If I'm using an aider then I put the aider about even with my kneecap.

Mini stick with a 2 step aider here. When I put the stick on the tree, it puts my feet at about 7'. I then usually average about 4' per move. I could go higher on the first set, and get more height per move, but I focus on eliminating noise and effort/sweat while climbing.

Typical climb: Start at 7 feet, move to 11 feet, move to 15 feet, move to 19 feet. That puts my head up anywhere between 22'-25' dependent on sitting/leaning position.

Depending on the tree, the season, and the back cover, I may go up one more move or one less move. Strive for consistency; it will make things more efficient and you can know how high you are just by the number of moves you made.

This is the ticket. If you have a double step and you want to stretch them out more. You can put the bottom of the stick at your hip. And to climb you catch one side with your knee. And pull your self up that way.

I use the hawk 36” 3 steps stick with a single step aider for one sticking. If I put it too high, I’ll never get in my first step off the ground. I too put that bottom step about knee high. I’m not wearing much bulk here in GA, but if I did, I’d have to compensate a little probably.

Back