• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How I get my ROS tight

Treehopper2

SH Member
I’m been working on an idea to help get the strap on a ROS tight while using a OCB.
I myself can get a OCB tight enough for my ROS but it has to be really tight before it cams over and to be honest it can be a pain to get that tight.
I have read where some guys are having trouble getting them tight enough so it got me to thinking about an idea to overcome this.
As you see in the pictures this is what I’ve been trying and so far it really gets the strap very tight. Actually it can put so much tension on the strap I’m sure if you didn’t run out of threads something would give( strap or OCB)so if you try this use caution and don’t over do it.
I’m still testing this at ground level but so far it really works great.
It really doesn’t weigh much if any more than a step.
I just got the knobs on to today so you don’t need a tool to tighten and I’ll
d3ad5000932407438234b3524b4a4cf8.jpg
see how that works. With a Allen wrench it’s very surprising how strong this thing is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
What are the advantages to using this with and OCB and not just a ratchet strap?

Cool idea. Way to think outside the box.

This made me think about if you could put screws like that on your ocb itself or maybe on one of your steps. That way it’s not an extra, separate piece attached to your strap. Not sure what it would do to the stability of either thing, just thinking out loud...

Cool idea. Way to think outside the box.

This made me think about if you could put screws like that on your ocb itself or maybe on one of your steps. That way it’s not an extra, separate piece attached to your strap. Not sure what it would do to the stability of either thing, just thinking out loud...
I also thought about having the step adjust but started with this to try the concept.

I’ve never used a ROS but was considering getting a few to use as additional real estate with the platform. Do they really slip on you that easy? If so, maybe I won’t worry about them.

I’ve never had a problem getting mine tight enough. That said if you do have that problem this will definitely work.

I really like my OCB and ROS. I've never had it slip at all. Make sure your two straps are aligned w/ea. other when camming.

On trees with deep bark like a cottonwood or pecan it can be tricky to get the ROS tight, or it may start tight and shift slightly and not be quite as solid. This gadget might be ideal for this issue. Nice work.

There is a sweet spot I found with getting the OCB tight. It’s somewhere between too loose and smashing your face into the tree camming it over. Yes, I agree keeping the strap straight coming out of the OCB is key.

I did some more testing this morning with the knobs on the bolts to see if it would give you enough leverage to crank it really tight without a Allen wrench and it worked great.
So far the only problems I have found is you can’t have a step within 6” of it due to it pulls the strap away from the tree but that can be fixed with step spacing.
Another issue it may have on thin bark soft tree it may damage them but I’m not sure yet.
I’ll test that out and see if I can over come it .On hardwood trees it barely shows a mark on the trees I’ve tested.
I can get just a OCB tight but not this tight. Like said above I think it will be nice to get the OCB tight from the start and then let them settle in some and then but a few cranks on the bolts to really lock them.
Time will tell if it’s worth using but so far it’s working great.
b4d9532b3a77a5a169c9644bfd14f3e6.jpg

Last edited:
Just thinking, could one of those bolts be fixed? So that your only adjusting one side? Im asuming it doesnt take many twists to get that extra pull on the strap.
I’ve considered just one bolt and I think it would work and save weight.
With the limited time I have to mess with something like this I haven’t made any more styles to test yet with work and home life I can barely test this one.

Back