• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How many bear is this?

Don't know much about bears, are they social group or more solitude? Act like deer where bucks stay together until mating season? Are there groups of mom raising young together?

Don't know much about bears, are they social group or more solitude? Act like deer where bucks stay together until mating season? Are there groups of mom raising young together?

They're kinda like cats. Males are solitary except for mating and are territorial about their home range.

Females are mostly solitary but accept more overlap with other females. Cubs stay with their mommas two seasons, these are yearlings so they will be kicked out on their own soon. They are also known to adopt orphaned cubs.

Welcome to bear country.

I have seen as many as 11 together. There are so many. Big overpopulation problem.

View attachment 71916View attachment 71917View attachment 71918View attachment 71919View attachment 71920

Aren't they so cute and cuddly. :rolleyes:

I don't envy you NJ guys. Our population is kept in check pretty well with the exception of around Deep creek Lake. I used to service boat docks and you could drive down the road on trash day and see can after can tipped over until you caught up with the bear eating out of one.

You been putting in for the lottery @GCTerpfan ?

I haven't. The Monday through Friday season was the road block for me. I wasn't willing to give up a vacation day I could use for deer to hunt bear. I'm glad they added at least one Saturday this year but, wish they would make the season Saturday through Saturday so you could have three weekend days to hunt.

I haven't. The Monday through Friday season was the road block for me. I wasn't willing to give up a vacation day I could use for deer to hunt bear. I'm glad they added at least one Saturday this year but, wish they would make the season Saturday through Saturday so you could have three weekend days to hunt.
Same with me. Plus whatever days it would take to scout or get permission. Seems like I might know a guy now though! haha

Looks like a sow and cubs, maybe 2 years worth of cubs. Check out the size of the ears relative to the head; ears don't grow so small bears have huge ears and huge bears have tiny ears.

Bear meat is delicious. They will start breeding soon, if they haven't already. If you have a sow with cubs you'll have a boar or two chasing them. If you can hunt them this year it will be worth the effort.

Back