• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

I think safety is being taken too seriously in this community

He had a rosin bag. Isn’t that enough.
The video said he had spent several climbs scouting out his route down to the individual handholds he would use during the climb. Impressive for sure. Just not safe.

I try to avoid judging people. I would never even consider trying that. If I were to say something, I couldn't have said it better than @Nutterbuster just did.

Bet he has a hard time getting life insurance. :oops:

All it takes is one loose or cracked rock.

The guy that tries to one-up him will die. Sad

I don't know, I don't envision this as being a "one up" type of thing. What he is doing is a whole different level of "crazy". To be that crazy you almost have to be doing it just to prove something to yourself, not other people. But, I might be wrong because my personal level of crazy isn't even on the same continent as this guys.

I don't know, I don't envision this as being a "one up" type of thing. What he is doing is a whole different level of "crazy". To be that crazy you almost have to be doing it just to prove something to yourself, not other people. But, I might be wrong because my personal level of crazy isn't even on the same continent as this guys.
I tremendously respect him for the reason you describe. That man hears a call, and can't help but follow it. People like that do the things they do like a lion kills gazelles and a fish breathes water, because they just do.

But he do be crazy.

I watched that on Nat Geo last night. Yikes!
How about the clip of the guy that falls and you don't realize he's wearing a chute?!!! I had butterflies just watching it.

b996b773609781386bf16e2d7c3f1d74.jpg

Fanatastic movie super skilled and fit human but certainly dangerous. He was well prepared and aware of the risks
I liked the movie.
However most free solo climbers don’t live long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fanatastic movie super skilled and fit human but certainly dangerous. He was well prepared and aware of the risks
I liked the movie.
However most free solo climbers don’t live long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Depends on how you measure it. If life is truly measured by moments that take your breath away, vs breaths you take...I'd say they do well.

Not so much if we're totalling trips around the sun.

I guess I was brought up different! I think about the first idiot to ever shoot a gun. Or first crazy fool to drive a horseless carriage, fly a plane, the space shuttle! My family thinks I'm crazy for what I've done in my life so far, but if not for the craziest of us who would we all be? My first thought of a saddle was "dam fools are hanging off of a tree on a half inch rope and a piece of material?" If not for my quest to understand you-all I wouldn't be here! The craziest people are usually the smartest if you take the time to figure them out. No different than the stock market. No risk, no reward!

Friends hopefully we have moved past free solo tree hunting like we did in 1980 thru 1984 then we found the tree stand instead of the instinctive tree stand ( that is what we called the set up). Today and for 3 years now I have found a even safer way to hunt. This is all due to the fabric or cloth saddle, hybird and crossover tree saddle. The idea of being tied in from the time you leave the ground is responsible tree stand hunting. If you have a wife, a child, a mother, a father or anybody who cares for you then you owe it to them, your loved ones to be as safe as you can. Be safe friends be smart because it can happen.

Back