• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

In Kansas and getting the p knocked out of me!

Camelcluch

SH Member
I was able to get to Kansas by the graces of my wife. However, I am getting crushed. I have been here since the 8th and only seen one decent buck. In fact, I’ve seen one spike, one doe and that buck. I have a few more days and high hopes!

Was just having a discussion with a buddy of mine who doesn’t hunt but is interested in it. Watches a lot of videos, they always get deer, big ones. I’m battling this year, he doesn’t get why.

Not saying that is you in any way or that you don’t know it but hunting is hard. Being reminded of that isn’t fun most of the time. I also know that it will make the success on the other side more rewarding.

You’re a good hunter. Keep after it, I can’t wait to see what you get in the morning.

I was able to get to Kansas by the graces of my wife. However, I am getting crushed. I have been here since the 8th and only seen one decent buck. In fact, I’ve seen one spike, one doe and that buck. I have a few more days and high hopes!
I have been in west KY for a week. I have seen 4 does and 1 small buck.
They are not moving. I think it is too warm.
What is your weather in Kansas?

That’s the rut for you. Watch the latest season of One Week in November, if you haven’t seen it yet. It’s a Meateater YouTube series. It puts into perspective what rut hunting is really like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn't seem like there is much rut activity in NE Oklahoma either so far. My hunting plans have been cut a little since my wife had to leave town, and someone has to take care of our dog. But I hunted Thursday morning and evening, and from 10 to dark Friday, and the only two bucks I saw were spikes. My brother has hunted all day every day since Thursday and has only seen one buck that even looked like it was in any kind of rut phase. He said it was moving pretty quickly with it's nose to the ground. He saw a group of bucks feeding together in a field Friday evening. The biggest one chased a couple of the smaller ones around, but no sparring or fighting.

I’ve barely seen 6 deer on the hoof in 6 days. Mostly smallish bucks looking for girlfriends. Does have been all-but vacant when this place is usually a doe haven. This lockdown is the hardest one I’ve seen in 11 years of hunting.

In the past 10 days, I only saw 1 buck that was a shooter. Unfortunately for me he was coming in directly behind me and we almost saw each other at about the same time. Yesterday was my last Rutcation day and I went out in the morning, I saw 5 spikes, basket rack 8,and a fork that was chasing a dow around. That's how most of my hunts went here in Maryland. Lots of young young bucks and does, but no mature bucks.

I saw rut signs every day when I was in KS from Oct 28th to the 4th. Weather plays a big part. If it’s not cold you won’t see much daytime activity IMHO.

It’s 75 today so that’s awesome. I’m not really sure if f weather plays a major roll. After 20 years of elk hunting and people always saying it too hot to rut, Mother Nature tells them to rut and has done so for a metric ton of years. If I only had one month a year, you bet I wouldn’t miss it! It also has to do with fawns birth and feed availability in the spring. Heat sucks and changes patterns but deer and elk get theirs on time. I going back to sweating in my stand and crying a little.
Hopefully a doe gets heat stroke and pops into estrus.

It’s 75 today so that’s awesome. I’m not really sure if f weather plays a major roll. After 20 years of elk hunting and people always saying it too hot to rut, Mother Nature tells them to rut and has done so for a metric ton of years. If I only had one month a year, you bet I wouldn’t miss it! It also has to do with fawns birth and feed availability in the spring. Heat sucks and changes patterns but deer and elk get theirs on time. I going back to sweating in my stand and crying a little.
Hopefully a doe gets heat stroke and pops into estrus.

They still do their thing, but it’s mostly at night, I think.

It doesn't seem like there is much rut activity in NE Oklahoma either so far. My hunting plans have been cut a little since my wife had to leave town, and someone has to take care of our dog. But I hunted Thursday morning and evening, and from 10 to dark Friday, and the only two bucks I saw were spikes. My brother has hunted all day every day since Thursday and has only seen one buck that even looked like it was in any kind of rut phase. He said it was moving pretty quickly with it's nose to the ground. He saw a group of bucks feeding together in a field Friday evening. The biggest one chased a couple of the smaller ones around, but no sparring or fighting.

SE Creek County here. It's on and they're moving when you're in the right area. Sat in close proximity to doe bedding yesterday and saw deer all day long. 8 different bucks, one of them I saw twice, another 3 times. Lots of grunting and chasing but the does don't look very receptive at the moment.

Well I thought my dreams were coming true today. A giant walking down the path. I could hear the monster steps crushing leaves as it got closer. I started to grab my bow and I could see movement through the trees. A few more steps and I’ll see the buck I’ve been waiting for. Oh! There he is! The world record raccoon just looking at me crushing my dreams.

Last edited:
Back